New Car Detailing Advice

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I've never been much of a "detailing" kind of Viper owner I figured I'd ask some of you professionals.

What's the proper "new car" procedure? When my '08 rolls off the truck and into my garage, is it best to let the paint dry for a few weeks or should I wax or polish immediately to "seal" the paint.

What's the best way to keep the clear coat looking new for as long as possible (before I ruin it with heavy mileage :D).

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our car was *new* in Oct. 04...so probably the paint issue was moot at that point. We only WASHED the car once, and that was due to total salt all over the car. MOSTLY we use one of those long-handled 'soft-material brushes' to wipe down the car (being very careful due to grit, so as not to scratch, remember we have BLACK as well)...then we use Gliptone to clean 'er up. We've never received SO many compliments on our black Viper, being as black being hardest to clean, ours is the SHINIEST still, since 10/04. Your car/color combo looks GREAT Scott...can't wait to see your car in person~~! (Not as much as YOU are waiting for it to arrive!)...we also clean out the wheel well with soft cloth/polish.
We are NOWHERE near an 'professional' here that you are looking for, it's just what WE do, and being BLACK...needs detailing/wipe-downs more frequently (Gliptone again for us). ~juli

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Zaino, check out his site for good information. You can also give Sal a call, he's the best and very helpful, and close to you in NJ

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Juli and Michael! I was actually less concerned with the product (although I will check out Gliptone and I have Zaino) and more concerned with what is the right thing to do when you first get a new car. Do you immediately coat the new paint with polish or wax or do you wait a few weeks while the clearcoat sets (I remember hearing that it takes several weeks for new paint to completely set)?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CitySnake....modern auto plant paint is catalyzed. By the time the car gets to you...you can wax it.

My 05 Excursion was ordered..and only a few days after it arrived, it was clayed and Zaino applied. (FOr a vehicle delivered in a closed trailer...clay may not be needed)

Some dealers will no doubt tell you not to wax right away...but they'll be willing to sell you an environmental package with paint sealant right away...huh?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott: I'd wax/polish the car after detail spraying it clean! Your car will look totally AWESOME!! ~juli

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, I'm with Matt on his comments, I clay and then use the Zaino stuff as Sal recommends. Some will say no need for clay on a direct factory purchase but I do it anyway. I beleive it's no problem to wax factory paint or to apply clear bra as the paint is baked and cures in a matter of days. What I learned from Sal is to use good car wash soap, new sponge that's never touched the ground, or your wheels, and use high quality cotton wax applicators and the same quality cotton towels to remove the wax. Whether you use Zaino products or not, look at his detailing tips, there is really a science to his methods. Best wishes with your new Viper!! Mike

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for Zaino. The paint will be cured and ready to be waxed or Zaino'd as soon as you get it.

Do the baggie test and see if it needs to be clayed. If it does go ahead and clay it. I prefer using a good QD as a clay lube.

I think if it was my car I would go over it with a coat of Z-AIO first to properly prepare the finish for Zaino Z2p or Z5p to bond.

Next depending on the color I would throw a coat of Z2p (for light colors) or Z5p (for darker colors) on it. If you are really into it you can apply a few coats but you will need to use ZFX if you are going to apply more than one coat at a time within a 24 hour period. I would then finish off with a coat of Z8 to make it really POP.

If you have any Zaino or detailing specific questions please feel free to ask.

Oh, and post pics when you are done. :2tu:

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great advice! That's for the responses. I dont' get a new car very often, so I just want to start off right.....before I destroy the finish with all my driving.

I'm going to need a LOT of time! LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang