New Comp Coupe style hood from Autoform

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Autoform is pleased to announce the release of our new Comp Coupe style hood. The introductory price will be $1595.00 in primer. We are currently accepting orders with ship dates beginning in 3 weeks. The hood will come with the side vents open, and the center louvers closed. Your painter should be able to easily open up the louvers if you decide you want this done. Please call us with any questions.

Tony Hall
Autoform Development
[email protected]
616-392-4909

8409DSC00161-med.JPG
8409DSC00162-med.JPG

OP
OP
A

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Questions were raised on an earlier post about water being able to get at the top of the motor. So, we have made it where you can decide whether or not that will be a factor for you. Like I previously stated, the shop that ends up painting the hood can easily cut the louvers. Also, we figured for racers, they may want more of an opening than someone who will just use it for street. I hope this answers your question, if not please call me.

Tony
Autoform Development
616-392-4909

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I imagine the centers are not open due to water intrusion, but if they are like their last hoods, it could be cut out if wanted. Saw this hood at the Southwest Rendezvous in KC and it is really cool --- has the Comp Coup look!

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picture of more of the car please :)

I agree, id like to see the car from a distance with that hood..perhaps a 3/4 view?

thanks

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

This is a must have for supercharged applications, for anyone tracking this car in the heat or just sitting in traffic at 100 + degrees. I have already sent you an email to get one.

I know you've already answered this question above, but frankly, the primary reason we more performance oriented people would buy this hood is to increase air circulation and loose some heat . Can I special order one with the vents cut out? I'd really like to have all the vents appear to be the same size, shape, i.e. cut out by the same process or same person. I don't drive this car in the rain or snow or wet. I'm guessing most of us don't. Please let me know.

Also, will this new hood be strong enough to be totally functional, i.e., as strong as stock and on stock mounts, with the vents cut out? I'd hate to have any issues with it at speed.

Finally, what is it made of and what does it weigh? Lighter or heavier than stock?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Dan

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

This is a must have for supercharged applications, for anyone tracking this car in the heat or just sitting in traffic at 100 + degrees. I have already sent you an email to get one.

I know you've already answered this question above, but frankly, the primary reason we more performance oriented people would buy this hood is to increase air circulation and loose some heat . Can I special order one with the vents cut out? I'd really like to have all the vents appear to be the same size, shape, i.e. cut out by the same process or same person. I don't drive this car in the rain or snow or wet. I'm guessing most of us don't. Please let me know.

Also, will this new hood be strong enough to be totally functional, i.e., as strong as stock and on stock mounts, with the vents cut out? I'd hate to have any issues with it at speed.

Finally, what is it made of and what does it weigh? Lighter or heavier than stock?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Dan

I don't drive my vehicle in the rain either, however, I do wash it. I would be VERY concerned about water getting inside my engine compartment directly on the motor. This is why I would leave the vents in the middle sealed. I do like the hood...wonder how it would look like on a silver car.

OP
OP
A

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are a couple more pictures, sorry they are not the greatest. I will have more taken when everyone gets back from Viper Days. The hood does have an inner structure just like the OEM. So, yes it is a replacement hood, not a pin on lightweight hood. It is made of fiberglass as well.
8409DSC00128-med.JPG
8409DSC00126-med.JPG

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey flynlow,

Does water get inside your engine compartment now with the two open vents while washing? I haven't had that problem, but I don't spray the upper part of the car down.

I'd sure rather let more of that nasty heat out while driving. I would put a towel under the new upper open vents while washing if it became an issue.

Question for Tony, are the center vents formed with the small water catch areas under them like the stock vents on the sides of the engine compartment?

More pics would be great.

Dan

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey flynlow,

Does water get inside your engine compartment now with the two open vents while washing? I haven't had that problem, but I don't spray the upper part of the car down.

I'd sure rather let more of that nasty heat out while driving. I would put a towel under the new upper open vents while washing if it became an issue.

Question for Tony, are the center vents formed with the small water catch areas under them like the stock vents on the sides of the engine compartment?

More pics would be great.

Dan

ViperX, I don't get much water at all in the engine compartment after a wash. Only a few droplets here and there on the sides of the car...like around the reservoirs and such. If You do decide to get the hood and open up the center, it would be a good idea to place something under those vents to prevent any water from getting directly on top of your motor.

BTW, I cannot see the last 2 pics very clearly. I want to be able to see the vents on the top of the car. Being that the car is black, it makes it very hard to see much of anything. Could someone photoshop that black car and make it silver?

OP
OP
A

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When everyone gets back from Viper Days I will have them get the car over here, so we can take a couple more pictures.
Tony Hall
Autoform

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, Steve did not have mine in the coach HOW COME??? He just gave me a puzzled look, OK its his normal look, but where is mine?

OP
OP
A

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So it worked huh Steve? We knew we could get him going. Call me, and I am sure we can get one for you started.

Tony

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that looks sick. nice hood :2tu:

Those pics definitely show how good the hood looks. I will definitely be thinking about getting one now. :) No front spoiler for me though :laugh:

OP
OP
A

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just thought I would update everyone on the hood. We have had a couple people using the hoods while on the track and they have noticed some nice changes in temperature. We have heard reports of 10-20 degrees difference in their operating temperature. So great news, and I thought everyone who was thinking about one would be interested in hearing this. Also we have now started to offer the center louvers cut open, with only a minimal fee of $50.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any one that wants a picture of this beautiful addition to their SRT-10 just let me know and I will send a picture. I am still too much of an engineer to be able to figure out how to post pictures on this site. But let me tell you it is BAD ASP BEAUTIFUL :headbang: :headbang: People really think my car is a Comp Coupe now.

The car does indeed run about 10 - 20 degrees cooler now than with the stock hood.

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen this car in person out here in CA. They had the hood and autofrom hardtop, it looked real high quality and the guy had no complaints.

Plus the car looked really great. Nice little touches to differentiate the Gen III Viper. It's a winner, if you looking for something subtle but nice.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see it on a stock silver or red SRT/10 and what would it to the resale value, providing you painted it the stock color and all.
I wonder if the average joe would know the hood was after market?

That my train of though, but if I owned an SRT/10 I think that hood would be a must. I think the more Comp Coupe you can make the SRT the better.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
BLWNASP,

Thanks. That was my car.

FLYNLO,

Washed car a dozen times, no water in / on engine. But I don't use a hose to wash it as noted and I'm careful.

Guys,

I ran Willowsprings in 105 degrees. While my wife's stock GTS and all others ran at 240 degrees +, my supercharged SRT-10 with this hood ran 200 degrees. This hood, with vents open at the center, makes a big difference in the heat. Two weeks ago I ran Viper Days at Spring Mountain. Again, temps were 95 - 100 during the day. This track is a 3rd gear / 2nd gear track, ie, not too fast. Car still ran at 200 degrees. For you track guys, this is a must have. Oil temps are down too.

During normal freeway driving, my temp is down to about 180 degrees, with the stock thermostat, so the hood really helps there too.

Fit is good. Mine needed some prep prior to paint, but that is to be expected. Cost to paint was about $500.00. Nice product. I am having my OE hood painted due to road rash and will simply switch hoods if I choose to drive it in the rain. It takes about 5 minutes to switch with a helper.

The car really looks aggressive / mean with this hood. I have the Autoform hard top and mine is all black too.

Dan

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet the Vette guys REALLY ignore YOU with that. :)

That thing looks down right menacing. You did the Viper Proud.

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too would like to know the difference in weight Stock verses Louvered?

OP
OP
A

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The weight of the Louvered one is 41lbs. I do not have access right now to our stock hood. As soon as I get a chance I will let you know.