New Exhaust Install

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke down and asked my wife for a mig welder for Christmas. Since I had a new welder I decided I would replace what was left of my stock exhaust. I have 2.5 inch from the flex joint into Roe High flows followed by 2.5 in/out mufflers which previously went into the stock 2.25 at the bend behind the side sills. In looking at aftermarket exhaust and the stock set up it appeared this consisted of 90s and 45s with no complex bends. I was able to order 4x 90s and 8x 45s mandrel bent aluminized for $181 shipped. I won't advertise the seller as they aren’t a board sponsor. I purchased a set of magnaflow dual wall slash cut tips for $150 shipped and have an entire muffler back for under $350. Granted it isn’t stainless, I thought this was a deal. Here is a little clip of the car at idle.

Chris

f306b95e.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a lot less hassle, you could have had a true 3" stainless for $800 shipped:

ViperClub Classifieds - Mopar Catback 3" stainless exhaust - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

But it does sound good :2tu:

No hassel at all, fitting was simple. It also gave me an excuse to play under my car this weekend. I'm not a big fan of the sound on the mopar exhaust and that is why I kept my current mufflers in place, not stock. It would of been a waste for me to buy the mopar exhaust and cut off the mufflers only to have what I do now in stainless. Plus mine is nice and clean :)

I do see your point on the exhaust but I don’t get many people under my car inspecting the pipes and stainless is overrated in my opinion. I also have true 3 inch mandrel bent 16 gauge tubing. In Texas the chance of aluminized rusting should be slim if so I can build another and still have less than $700 in the whole thing.

Chris

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds damn good...well worth missing the drive, jerkface! :)

Ha I missed the drive because of the multiple rounds of drinks I had the night before. I didnt start welding and fitting pipe until well after 1 :)

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I approve of that sound clip. How does it sound when opening it up? It's cool to be able to say YOU made it :)

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ha I missed the drive because of the multiple rounds of drinks I had the night before. I didnt start welding and fitting pipe until well after 1 :)

Beware the Little General. Under his command you will be forced sleep underground. You're better off with General Tsao.

Back on topic...DESPITE YOUR ALCOHOLISM THE CAR SOUNDS GOOD.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idle sounds a lot like my 96 wirh high flow Roes and Borla cat back. You got to love the idle of the lumpy cam years!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd counted the 90s and 45 degree bends up myself once contemplating the same do-it-yourself effort. Good for you!

I ended up putting a 3" Borla on the ACR, and the car lost like .3 (!) compared to the ET with my own modded bits under the sills that had connected to the OE rear assembly minus resonators.. It was louder and had resonance (that I could have cured) but I didn't want to go slower just to get some noise.

So I sold the Borla

:dunno:

Last edited: