New front tires 275/40/18?

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I wanted to replace my front two tires. I just picked up a 06 Viper and on my first sunday drive with my wife we picked up a nail dead center of the passenger front. I got myself a plug kit...plugged it and we were good to go.

Even though the plug I put in doesn't leak, I have brand new tires all around and that one I plugged with a sticky plug.

So I wanted to get another 275/35/18 Pilot super sport....but alas they are out of production.

I was wondering if has had trouble running the taller 40 series tire?

I assumed it would be fine but I'd thought I'd ask the Viper owners in case I'm wrong.

OP
OP
VaderViper

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well It worked. Now I have a mostly new 275/35/18 Pilot Super sport, and one with a plug in it with lots of tread that'll ill be putting in storage. I put on 275/40/18 and drove the car around it was great.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good to hear. Usually such a small step shouldn't cause much issue unless you are pushing the limits of your suspension already (like something heavily lowered). I know my back tires have kissed the inner fender on my car from the look of it, but I think some of that is also just old tired plastic liners that droop a little more than they did originally.

littlecaars

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vader viper, so let me get this right, you mixed tire profiles on the same car? Is that correct? that should NEVER be done. I can’t believe the tire shop did not tell you that.

OP
OP
VaderViper

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I did not mix tire profiles on the car. I replaced BOTH front tires. I think in my second post I wasn't clear that the old tires were now going to be stored as spares. I edited the post to clearly state that now.

OP
OP
VaderViper

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear. Usually such a small step shouldn't cause much issue unless you are pushing the limits of your suspension already (like something heavily lowered). I know my back tires have kissed the inner fender on my car from the look of it, but I think some of that is also just old tired plastic liners that droop a little more than they did originally.

So I can see where my rear tires have kissed the inner fender liner as well. I also discovered my car has coilovers. Still learning more about this particular car, its all part of the fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets