New Garmin GPS

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just returned from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. For people interested in GPS navigation Garmin has a new version of the Street Pilot III. Already portable it will now calculate a route and display street names and turns while voice prompts tell you when to turn. Price will be about $1200 about half the price of Magellan. Should be on the market around March or April.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Clarion Auto PC (http://www.clubautopc.com/default.asp) with built in GPS, voice
nvigation, email and a lot of other things I don't need but
I had one in the 93 Corvette I sold last year and it worked
great and as often as I get lost I needed it. They retail for around $1600.00 but I got this one off e-bay still in original box with warranty for $900.00. Was able to wire the stereo
into the stock amplifiers. Alpine has a much more high tech system out now but the base price on it is $2700.00.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Alpine Hide-Away big screen unit. It works great. It cost a little more but looks a lot better.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
At the request of Skip Thomas, and Bob Woodhouse, PartsRack is developing a ViperDays GPS! We will load trackmaps of all ViperDays venues, and other tracks, and install them at events (for rent or sale.) Then, Skip won't need as many ride-along instructors!

GPS will read track, speeds, etc....and give out audio commands (in Tommy Archer's voice, or maybe Skip's?) saying things like:

"stay left"......... "Drift Right"...... "Drift Out"...... "Brake, BRake, BRAKE!" ...... "power, POwer, POWER!" and my favorite: "Don't LIFT here gawdammit..."

If YOU would like to be the first to order one, (or if you have Venture Capital to invest in this fine project...) just send a blank check to: PartsRack c/o JonB GPS Project

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to think about. I don't know how truely acurate they are, but it is a way to look at your top speed.

I have a Garmin GPS III plus. I leave it in my front seat. If you reset it before you drive, at the end of the drive, you can see your fastest speed.

Make sure and reset it though before you get pulled over.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank, Bob ! The thread topic likley did NOT draw many enthusiasts ! (UN-Thusiasts?)

Maybe I'll post "Viper Days GPS" as its own thread.......
JonB

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got that one! I guess it would be a cleaner installation than the paper track map that Bruce has threatened to tape to my console....

Hey, it was Texas - reference points were limited to "funny shaped clod of dirt...", "patchy scrub of grass" "big ****..." Just kidding Texans....

And so what if it was on the second day - I can't remember EVERYTHING...

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc