Chrysler prices new Viper near $100,000, below Corvette ZR1

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Automotive News;

DETROIT -- The 2013 SRT Viper will be Chrysler Group's most expensive production vehicle ever but still cheaper than a comparable Chevy Corvette ZR1 when sales begin late this year.
Chrysler told dealers today that the 640-hp Viper will carry a sticker price of at least $99,390, including a $1,995 delivery charge. The Viper GTS will start at $122,390, including delivery.
With optional equipment -- a more powerful audio system, upgraded infotainment system, or additional carbon fiber trim and styling components, for example -- and a likely gas-guzzler surcharge, the re-engineered Viper should easily top the $100,000 plateau.
Ralph Gilles, head of the SRT brand and Chrysler Group's head of design, was scheduled to show off the new Viper to dealers during a private meeting today in Las Vegas.
The 2013 Viper, introduced in April at the New York auto show, has an 8.4-liter V-10 engine that generates 600 pounds-feet of torque. The new Viper weighs 100 pounds less than the automaker's last version of the sports coupe, which ended production in 2010 and carried a sticker price of $90,255, before freight charges and gas-guzzler tax.
The 2013 Viper's pricing makes it less expensive than the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, which has nearly the same horsepower and torque as the Viper. The ZR1 carries a sticker price of $113,575 with delivery and includes a $1,000 gas-guzzler tax.
The Viper's price doesn't yet reflect a gas-guzzler tax because its fuel-economy numbers aren't yet available.
Chrysler plans to build only about 2,000 Vipers a year, and dealers will have to pay a one-time fee of $25,000 and undergo Viper-specific training for the right to sell the powerful two-seaters. Gilles estimates that only 15 to 20 percent of Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-Ram dealers will sell them nationwide.
The delivery charge for all Vipers is more than double that of Chrysler's other vehicles. However, all Vipers will travel from the company's Conner Avenue assembly plant in Detroit directly to the ordering dealer through a covered, point-to-point trucking carrier, and not by rail, Chrysler said.
Viper production is scheduled to begin in November, Gilles said.
Chrysler's current most-expensive vehicle is a Ram 3500 heavy-duty pickup. A fully loaded version lists for $67,915, including freight

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if they will allow the option to get the 'GTS' model with the 'SRT' hood?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A $23,000 surcharge for the GTS seems excessive.

Not it you analyze the order form and realize all that is included. But don't forget they gave us ********* owners the base car below 100K, add the track pack (including the black wheels most of us would want anyway, the upgraded leather option and we're pretty much got the Viper we're used to. Now if only they would offer an ACR aero package we could really roll with the base model.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they have the Conner Ave pick up option so poorer Viper puchasers can save a few bucks on delivery.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Seems to be about what was expected. I got a year or so to save up, but I shudder to think what the ACR is gonna go for. It better blow the Gen4 ACR out of the water though.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the base price forthe GTS at $122,390. A loaded car with the upgraded interior could be near the $140,000 mark. That is a large range and should make all buyers happy.

Bruce

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The value of all prior Vipers should go up with the price of the new base model with gas guzzler tax, delivery charge, and sales tax, being over 100K.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Base price is solid color only, right?
Add stripes option was how much?

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if the ACR option, when available, will be in addition to the base Viper pricing and not the upgraded GTS pricing. If it comes in around or under $120K, that might not be too bad. How much is the track pkg?

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The base for GTS is excessive for me. It will be $140k once you check all the boxes. So, for the $22k upgrade price, all you get is leather wrapped interior and 2 extra modes of TC. Add the carbon trim, trak-pak, and upgraged stereo, you are at $140k probably. $15k too high if you ask me, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dis.......

At first I thought that was a little high, but if I flew to the Conner plant and drove the car from Conner to California, I'd probably spend close to $600.00 in fuel (at 18 miles to the gallon), who knows how much on lodging and food and end up with enough stone chips to make $2000.00 look like a bargin.

What ***** is if you're within a days drive....then it looks steep. For $2k, it would be nice to have the car delivered in an enclosed transporter....but that is probably wishful thinking.

Cheers,
George

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $2k, it would be nice to have the car delivered in an enclosed transporter....but that is probably wishful thinking.

The delivery charge for all Vipers is more than double that of Chrysler's other vehicles. However, all Vipers will travel from the company's Conner Avenue assembly plant in Detroit directly to the ordering dealer through a covered, point-to-point trucking carrier, and not by rail, Chrysler said.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pricing is very attractive for the base SRT, I like the plain rear end and the 6 vent hood, but where can we see a pic of the base interior with the all black protein seats ?

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the GTS already had the upgraded interior and carbon included in the base price?

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it includes the napa leather, not the premium leather and the carbon interior/exterior pieces are extra.
I thought the GTS already had the upgraded interior and carbon included in the base price?

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm quite disappointed with the GTS pricing. I hope it works out for SRT, but I don't think it will. Once the newness fades I predict there will be a lot of heavily discounted GTSs on dealer lots, especially at 2000 per year. The only way I don't forsee this is if the majority of dealer orders are base SRTs. You aren't going to steal any Porsche owners with a $140k Viper. Not now, not ever. Hopefully I am wrong.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm quite disappointed with the GTS pricing. I hope it works out for SRT, but I don't think it will. Once the newness fades I predict there will be a lot of heavily discounted GTSs on dealer lots, especially at 2000 per year. The only way I don't forsee this is if the majority of dealer orders are base SRTs. You aren't going to steal any Porsche owners with a $140k Viper. Not now, not ever. Hopefully I am wrong.

Are they going to build cars that haven't actually been ordered and/or paid for already?

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At first I thought that was a little high, but if I flew to the Conner plant and drove the car from Conner to California, I'd probably spend close to $600.00 in fuel (at 18 miles to the gallon), who knows how much on lodging and food and end up with enough stone chips to make $2000.00 look like a bargin.

What ***** is if you're within a days drive....then it looks steep. For $2k, it would be nice to have the car delivered in an enclosed transporter....but that is probably wishful thinking.

Cheers,
George

Nah I know man. When I bought my ACR in Missouri. Had it shipped enclosed to Cali,and it cost me about $2k.

I really would like to see the Conner factory. See them build my new Viper..:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth