Chrysler prices new Viper near $100,000, below Corvette ZR1

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparisons are now dialed squarely into my next move against the used market. Sorry but unless some major investments start to fly off the wall, there will not be a new Viper in my future. Then again I enjoyed mine for 6 years when bought my GEN III Coupe new, so might be time to move on to something else anyway. ZR1 pricing comparison is absolutely meaningless and doesn't fit with why you would price this as such anyway considering performance may not even be at the same level of the ZO6 around a track, braking, etc.

Admit that the base SRT price does seem in line considering the new car but GTS pricing is just too much excessive, especially considering how I would want to option it. Unfortunately not going to happen for me. Like I said in the other post, that dream just went up in smoke. ****!!!!!

Last edited:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I am keeping the ACR. Currently, will wait for an ACR GenV or just pass. The price point is now getting a little too steep.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are really funny. I know the ********* fans are blind to the fact that the old gens were not up to par when it comes to interior fit and finish for a vehicle listing $90K but it was a disgrace and it put off a lot of potential buyers .
Dodge had a tough time selling the previous gen and discounts were deep.
In my humble opinion, SRT has accomplished an amazing feat with coming up with a vehicle that can compete with the exotics in every aspect (not just performance). Sure, I had wishful thinking that the GTS would be $110K but if you look at the total package, there are very few cars that can compete (performance, look, fit and finish) at $130K MSRP. The only other cars that come to mind in terms of pricing and "exotic factor"that would compete with GTS loaded is the Nissan GTR, Bare bone Porsche Turbo 997, Porsche 911 GT3, or 991 S loaded, Audi R8, Mercedes C63BS, Maserati gran tourismo, BMW M6, Jaguar XKRS.
I may be missing a few but you should get the picture that the competition is now top notch. I strongly believe that SRT will sell more vipers if it truly delivers the overall package that was missing before (fit and finish, dealer experience, track/racing events for example) but this remains to be proven.
The snake has evolved into the world of semi exotics with the GTS skin but for the ********* fan, it is only a few $$ more than the old one. Both clientele are satisfied so give me a break on the whining :)

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's interesting in discussion about the price.

SRT is now for the most part a stand-a-lone entity and must be profitable.

Based on all the improments made in the Gen V it is still a bargain. I paid $125,000 for a ZR1 about four years ago. I didn't have to and had I waited even longer it would have been discounted closer to $100k.

I am waiting for the Gen V ACR. I'm sure it will be probably above $125k. I don't have to pay that; but, then again I don't have to buy the car. I could also turn to Porsche's, Mercedes AMGs, etc and pay even more.

For those that don't want to pay over $100k for a Viper I hear the new Dart is a pretty good car, or what the hell, buy a Fiat 500 Abarth. I have one and it is a blast for a daily driver.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are really funny. I know the ********* fans are blind to the fact that the old gens were not up to par when it comes to interior fit and finish for a vehicle listing $90K but it was a disgrace and it put off a lot of potential buyers .
Dodge had a tough time selling the previous gen and discounts were deep.
In my humble opinion, SRT has accomplished an amazing feat with coming up with a vehicle that can compete with the exotics in every aspect (not just performance). Sure, I had wishful thinking that the GTS would be $110K but if you look at the total package, there are very few cars that can compete (performance, look, fit and finish) at $130K MSRP. The only other cars that come to mind in terms of pricing and "exotic factor"that would compete with GTS loaded is the Nissan GTR, Bare bone Porsche Turbo 997, Porsche 911 GT3, or 991 S loaded, Audi R8, Mercedes C63BS, Maserati gran tourismo, BMW M6, Jaguar XKRS.
I may be missing a few but you should get the picture that the competition is now top notch. I strongly believe that SRT will sell more vipers if it truly delivers the overall package that was missing before (fit and finish, dealer experience, track/racing events for example) but this remains to be proven.
The snake has evolved into the world of semi exotics with the GTS skin but for the ********* fan, it is only a few $$ more than the old one. Both clientele are satisfied so give me a break on the whining :)

This, stop the whining.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New cars DO compete with used cars... people who go new do so for a variety of reasons, I'm sure, but they do need to be sufficiently compelling. I guess all I'm saying is that @ 140k my decision around whether to pull the trigger now include a whole host of options that aren't really there at the 100k base price.
The prices may be close to the same if never drive either. A new viper with warranty or a few years old Lamborghini... The lambo will cost a lot more to operate.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races - Carroll Shelby

Hope he is wrong.... This should have been a new 700 horsepower Vette crusher & Lambo Aventador performance rival. Not "hey we got better seats now." Not a lot of WoW factor in the long run there... If another ZR-1 comes along we will be left in the dust...

Last edited:

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I love it when I see it, I'm a GTS owner for sure. I already have a heavily modified GenIII that's fast, loud and smells like burnt rubber and oil from thousands of track miles. I am looking forward to a more civilized Viper ride, something a little different. I'm not selling the GenIII, so I will have the best of both worlds. I love the leather and the gadgets and it's still a Viper. My wife tells me that Porche's are only for guys in a mid-life crisis looking to trade in on the wife and that's not me and she is right. But I do agree with some that have said that the loaded GTS is knocking on the door of the used exotics. I am not a winer and I will be writing a check for the Gen V or a Lambo or Ferrari in the next 6 months. The GTS is my first choice if in person it does it for me. The Corvette is not ever a consideration, I see one on every corner, same for the Mustang, Porsches too.

Part of the Viper charm is its exclusivity and at 2000 or less a year that will be maintained. So though the ZR1 only sells 400-500/year, it looks just like the base model that sells 20,000. The only Corvette I will ever own is a 1958. The Viper is unique in that regard. The worst thing that could ever happen to the Viper is high production numbers. At that point I will definitely move on.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note also that realistic prices out-the-door with base price, likely options, tax, delivery, guzzler tax, destination charges, etc. will likey be $115k-120k for SRT and $145k-$150k for the GTS.

The Gen V Viper is still a Viper and that is a good thing to the existing Viper fans. However, the new seats, leather, nav and stereo may not be enough to convert the GTS to a comfy GT for Aston Martin, Porsche Turbo and Mercedes AMG drivers. The side exhaust, high entry stepover, carryover of the general cockpit configuration from Gen IV and other factors mean that the car will still not be a daily driver for most.

I hope the excitement continues to build for SRT and that they sell every Gen V that they make! Of course I also want a 700hp Gen V ACR that looks like the GTS-R for less than $112k too! Until then, I thank Dodge for the beautiful Gen IV Coupe they built for me! :)

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Side discussion:

I have had Vipers now for almost twenty years from Gen 1 to Gen 4. I am not an expert on every little detail of the car but I have a pretty good idea.
In viewing the Gen 5 posts, several things become apparent.
1. There seems to be a lot of "Enthusiasts" that have Vipers that are not members of the club. If you can afford the car...support the VCA and become a member.
2. If you are an "Enthusiast" and have fifteen posts and say you have a Gen 5 on order, I do not believe you. I am sure a number of us have made arrangements with friends such as Woodhouse but SRT has yet to open orders.
3.If you have 29 posts and joined as a "Enthusiast" in July of 2012 (I did not see you in the last VOI or in New York this April (when Ralph unveiled the car and the GTS-R)). You are not an expert on the car nor do you have 20 years of passion for Viper. That is why we are the Viper Nation and the owners were instrumental in getting Dodge/Fiat to bring back this car. Two VOIs ago, it appeared it was the end of the ride but now we have a new flagship. SRT looks at the Viper owners comments seriously because we are giving our input and some of our ideas or critiques will be noted and used to further improve the car.
4. We are aware that SRT is expanding the market but the first group of owners will be us. Our experience with the new car will help get more people to consider and buy the car. We only want success for SRT.
5. Now back to topic:drive:

P.S. I think that having Enthusiasts on the website is a good thing but let's get real.

Last edited:

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think the base SRT Viper is priced reasonable and I don't understand the argument about how taxes, title, delivery, etc. will add thousands to the car. Of course it will add to the price of the car but every car you buy is going to have those same costs, it is not like those are waived with other cars. That is why you should just look at the price of the car without those fees since they vary by state anyway and you know going into it you will have to pay those fees.

Look at the GTR, they are $100k for their base car (premium model) and they get that all day long even though they only sell around a thousand units a year at this point. The GTR performs and that is what sells the car because it sure doesn't look like a $100k car. The dealer experience for these and service is not that great either and I am sure it is much harder to service given all of the nanny controls it has and complex transmission. At least even to the average person the Viper looks like a $100k car and it should perform like one as well.

As for the price being in used exotic car territory, the pricing has and will always be in used exotic car territory. I don't understand why some people think this is something new.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the price being in used exotic car territory, the pricing has and will always be in used exotic car territory. I don't understand why some people think this is something new.

It has? My ACR was stickered at 112K please tell me what other quality exotic I could have been looking at.
A 04 Gallardo with 35K on it? There's a world of difference between that and 145K GTS.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patgilm: couldn't agree more with your statements.
doctorbob: not sure why you are trying to hide who you are referring to in your posts. It does not take an MD to figure out you were referring to me in your#3. I do not need to have 20 years of passion, go to VOI or belong to VCA to be passionate about the new car and post my comments on this site. New forum posters have nothing to prove to the doctor...
SRT obviously listened to the Viper Nation when they came up with both cars (base and GTS) as they understand many owners will track their car, have little need to pay for comfort features but others will not and want a daily driver that has best of both world (the amenities and the performance).
Regarding joining VCA, it is a bit sad that parts of the forum are blocked because you do not belong. I am on other sites and they do not have that attitude. If you can share the benefits of membership, I am open to join once the snake gets in my garage.

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has? My ACR was stickered at 112K please tell me what other quality exotic I could have been looking at.
A 04 Gallardo with 35K on it? There's a world of difference between that and 145K GTS.

Maybe not quality exotic but exotic nonetheless. Yes a 04 Gallardo or Ferrari F355. Those are considered exotic and both would get smoked by your ACR and for $100k I think the base Viper is priced well.

As for the $145k GTS, do you consider a Porsche 911 to be exotic? I don't and the turbo easily reaches the GTS range and performance is similar. Sure it is still a Porsche but people that bought the 911 Turbo can say the same thing, "well I can get a used exotic for the price of this non-exotic 911." At the $145k price range there are more exotics out there to be bought for sure but it is going to be used and not going to be a 2009 and up Gallardo or Ferrari so you are looking at least a 4-5 year old car at that point.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A new Nissan GTR with a tune and downpipes would come to mind and would be in par or better on the track on road. A 996TT or GT3. Just to name a few.
I do not know the price of the options but the GTS is at 120K not 145K... I am ready to wager that the new gen V will be on par with the performance of the ACR so it is actually a bargain since you can get the new one for $100K...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yes...an exotic Nissan GTR....lol....don't see ten of them at every car gathering here.
Your definition of an exotic differs from mine.
GTR and lower end Porsche are NOT exotics.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yes...an exotic Nissan GTR....lol....don't see ten of them a day.
Your definition of an exotic differs from mine.
GTR and Porsche are NOT exotics.
What a joke. Please give me your definition of an exotic... Both the GTR and P Cars are built in limited quantities, cost more than 6 figures, and will perform the same or better than the Viper. Actually performance wise, the GTR is so far ahead of all Vipers except the ACR. The only point you could make would be that it does not attract as much attention but that is a matter of opinion

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
John,

As an attorney you understand shipping is a set amount for legal reasons, with contracts stating even pricing Nationwide ( except for Alaska and Hawaii). Your response is rational and has been argued for years , but shipping will be standard all across the US. The argument that folks in Florida should pay one figure and then those in Detroit would pay another would put virtually all States at a disadvantage except where a vehicle was produced. Hence regardless of manufacturer it is static to give Franchises an even keel across the Country. There are some other fees one must pay when picking up a vehicle in Michigan, so often the perceived benefits are not there at all.

Surprised a bit on the shipping charge, myself, but considering the extra expense it does cost to ship in an enclosed trailer, the cost is likely quite close for those delivered long distance and the fact that unlike normal loads to a Dealership ( where often all the cars/trucks are dropped at one site ) it is common for a driver to drop off at as many as 6 Dealerships for his load.

Keep in mind many will also be shipped over to Prefix , return to the warehouse and then be shipped a final time. Not saying I don't wish it was a bit less, but I can kind of see where the thought process is cost wise for a limited vehicle.

Likely there will only be around 1500 out in 2013, going to 2000+ in 2014.

Dr. Bob I sure wish I knew more about the stripes on the SRT , as I am curious just like you. Afraid we may have to wait till VOI to find this out.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill P.---Why would they be going to Prefix? No aero...and they are pre-striped, if that option is selected...Thanks!

Bill H.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices may be close to the same if never drive either. A new viper with warranty or a few years old Lamborghini... The lambo will cost a lot more to operate.

Wrong.
A new Viper will lose 20-25% of it's value the minute you drive it away regardless of mileage.
Trust me I KNOW since I own one and have been pursuing trade in values on a very low mileage ACR.
A used lambo has already taken a major hit on resale value and will only lose more incrementally.
A quality Gallardo with say 5000 miles on it from 2009 is still 165K. Your new Viper is MSRP less 20-25%.
Oh and one is a Lamborghini...:)

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Wrong.
A new Viper will lose 20-25% of it's value the minute you drive it away regardless of mileage.
Trust me I KNOW since I own one and have been pursuing trade in values on a very low mileage ACR.
A used lambo has already taken a major hit on resale value and will only lose more incrementally.
A quality Gallardo with say 5000 miles on it from 2009 is still 165K. Your new Viper is MSRP less 20-25%.
Oh and one is a Lamborghini...:)

Sooo, when do you become "LamboJon"?:)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooo, when do you become "LamboJon"?:)

LOL just been doing a lot of research lately..:)

Having trouble finding these quality 115K Lambo's people speak of.
I see entry level 04's and '05s with 20K on them....not exactly "quality" however.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph on Twitter: when is the web configurator for the Viper coming online?” next month in the mean time Forza gets the colors right!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph on Twitter: when is the web configurator for the Viper coming online?” next month in the mean time Forza gets the colors right!

That is cool to hear. Now lets see the reactions to a loaded GTS being $140k+!!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Emericr....I was using your post as a generalization. I look forward to seeing a picture of your car.
I have been known as doctorbob on this site for years. Do not give me that " you are a doctor" comments. Mr. Ixaduece it is not about the money. If you can afford to own a Gen 2 car and maintain it, you can afford to be a member. Dues support the club, maintain this website, support viper events such as VOI, and the VPA and VCA have in place the equipment to make and supply parts for your 10+ year old viper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi