New guy here (intro)

southpaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello city post. Well I have been bitten by the Viper pretty bad. I recently had renewed interest in a partial restoration of my 71 bb corvette. After digging around in it I realized that proper restoration will take me years. I don't want to wait years to enjoy cruise ins and the like.
So beings I am a 3rd generation mopar lover I started looking at vipers. Which led me to here. With a bit of looking I have decided that my choice will be a 97 gts preferably. Any gen2 gts will do. I like the b/w and sapphire most. Anyway I just popped in to introduce my self. I do have a first question. What is considered high mileage? I am thinking over 30k is. Am I wrong? I look forward to many posts and chats.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real answer to your question, requires a question. Are you talking about perceived mileage or real high mileage. 30K miles of cared for driving is just breaking the car in. Eight years ago when I was looking everyone was saying 10k was over the hill, please! What's important is how well the car is cared for. The problem with these cars now is not the mileage, but how they were cared for, weatherstriping, hinges, seats, etc. are crazy expensive on these cars. Gen II's are chump change these days and I suspect a larger segment of enthusiasts will buy these cars. I'm also guessing that a bunch of people will buy them and take them to Pep Boys when they realize they can't or more likely don't believ in spending more than $19.99 for an oil change. Buy'm beat'm to the ground then sell them all thrashed as a perfect car. It's just the evolution of a 15 year old car. There are usually some well cared for cars on this site by long time perfectionists.

As a side note, I always wanted a 70- 72 Vert Vette so I could drop in a monster BB with Black ****** pipes and stretched rally wheels, big brakes and so on......... I too realized I'd end up with a car that I dumped 100K into that would end up being a 30 K, 40 yr. old fiberglass disaster. Hence the Viper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

southpaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It is the perceived mileage that I am speaking of. I have seen quite a few beauties with around 60k on them however, who was the previous owners? Did they beat the piss out of it and not maintain it etc. I realize that even 80k miles on a vehicle that was well maintained and handled with dignity will be a treasure as it were. I am trying to get a feel for the viper as it is not your average vehicle.

As for the vette, yeah it breaks my heart to let it sit in my shop in its current state. It is a #'s matching 454 and is in tact but it also has a rotten bird cage and I am in no position to rip it apart and sink a fortune into it right now. Perhaps when I retire.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab is right. Don't worry about anything other than how the car was cared for. Usually can get a good feel by seeing great interior condition (no matter the miles), tons of history receipts, clean engine, etc... those guys usually really take care of their baby.

OP
OP
S

southpaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to do some serious looking and ask a lot of questions. I have no qualms buying a 50k mile car if it is sound.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2001 GTS is for sale 17000 miles, excellent condition, no issues, needs nothing. $39,995. Red with black interior, First year of two with ABS!

OP
OP
S

southpaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2001 GTS is for sale 17000 miles, excellent condition, no issues, needs nothing. $39,995. Red with black interior, First year of two with ABS!

Thanks but I have to get 2 vehicles sold prior to purchasing a viper. The wife wont let me finance my toy. We just went through the Dave Ramsey plan so I need the full amount. I am pretty set on a B/W or Sapphire color.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab is right. Don't worry about anything other than how the car was cared for. Usually can get a good feel by seeing great interior condition (no matter the miles), tons of history receipts, clean engine, etc... those guys usually really take care of their baby.
Yeah, listen to old school boy here he's usually right, Lol! Like he said you can usually look at the interior & see if they've been loved or not. They're like any other car though, you've got garage queens & you've got some that have been driven the hell out of. Not knowing where you live but if you're anywhere close to tator let him check it out for you & he could most likely tell you exactly what you're looking at. If not close by him just find a trusted viper tech & let him look it over for you, either way just take your time cause there's plently out there to choose from! Good Luck & keep us informed, best thing to do is join the club & get all info you can before you make that leap! jmo

OP
OP
S

southpaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure where Tator lives, but I do plan on leaning on the brothers who are close to a viper I am interested in. I will compensate if needed of course. I live in southeast Washington state. Hillbilly heaven. I regard people on this forum in high regard and rely on them to help me make an informed purchase. Like Ive said in previous posts, i am in no hurry finding the right rig to purchase. This of course goes against every fiber in my body as I'm an impulsive buyer lol. gotta love the wife who supports such a ridiculous purchase.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the Big Block Corvette :) That was my quest years ago, I spent ages looking for a late 60s early 70s Corvette, I bought the Little black book and started researching build costs and specs! Oh boy, its a minefield. There seemed to be a massive thing about Matching numbers etc, etc. My wife was getting fed up going from one car show to another looking for the right car and in the end she told me to buy a Cobra :D
The Cobra turned out to be a big mistake, and I had a lot of problems with that particular car but then got the Viper and have not looked back :headbang:

Still like the look of those old Corvettes but the Viper not only goes like hell, it handles too ;)

Good luck with your sales and quest for a Viper :1up:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 1 is to buy a copy of Maurice Liang's book Viper Buyer's Guide. You can buy directly from the author and you'll learn a lot.

Step 2 is to meet Viper owners in your area and learn from them.

You're already at step 3 since you're posting here. :)

You're correct about how the car was cared for is probably more important than mileage.

OP
OP
S

southpaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the Big Block Corvette :) That was my quest years ago, I spent ages looking for a late 60s early 70s Corvette, I bought the Little black book and started researching build costs and specs! Oh boy, its a minefield. There seemed to be a massive thing about Matching numbers etc, etc. My wife was getting fed up going from one car show to another looking for the right car and in the end she told me to buy a Cobra :D
The Cobra turned out to be a big mistake, and I had a lot of problems with that particular car but then got the Viper and have not looked back :headbang:

Still like the look of those old Corvettes but the Viper not only goes like hell, it handles too ;)

I dont have any pics of it at the moment, it is not one that is for sale. That car will likely end up with one of my sons. It started out as a project for my father and I but he was killed tragically, so it has sat idle and in pieces for 11 years. I am glad that I pretty much jumped into the viper thing and did not try to throw massive time and effort into the vette. At least at this time. Hell I may work on it in retirement with my boys. If I take some pics am I able to post here? If so I would be glad to show my hooptie. :lmao:

OP
OP
S

southpaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 1 is to buy a copy of Maurice Liang's book Viper Buyer's Guide. You can buy directly from the author and you'll learn a lot.

Step 2 is to meet Viper owners in your area and learn from them.

You're already at step 3 since you're posting here. :)

You're correct about how the car was cared for is probably more important than mileage.

I already ran across Maurice Liangs web site and have the book on my to buy list. Thanks for confirming that, I will definately pick it up.
One thing I do have is lots of time and therefore patients. I dont suspect I will end up actually buying one for a year. Along with selling the unused vehicles I have to finish my wifes kitchen remodel, my mezzanine deck in my shop, and finish the garage so I have a warm place to park her when she arrives.

Thanks to all you fellas who have responded to my posts, I appreciate it.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a 96 which the previous owners had all the documentation for the 53,000 miles they owned it. Everything right down to the weight of oil that went in at each oil change. I know it is considered to be high mileage for a viper, but except for an oil pan gasket that needs replacing, the car looks almost perfect. I would have no issues looking for a car with even higher mileage if the owner took care of it as well as this one did. These are low RPM overbuilt motors, if taken care of they should last a very long time.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FB, here're some pix of mine (I know you were asking for southpaws pic but I couldn't resist).

5862CIRVETTE_002.jpg

5862CIRVETTE_004.jpg

Mild build on a .060 over 454, stock suspension and (the horror) stock brakes. They run well, and don't break often, but don't try turning or stopping them without a lot of planning ahead!

Oilman1934

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same vette 73 b.b. ac 4 speed Elkhart green it did make me feel that the viper is cooler inside than that vette, man that thing cooked inside!

OP
OP
S

southpaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FB, here're some pix of mine (I know you were asking for southpaws pic but I couldn't resist).

5862CIRVETTE_002.jpg

5862CIRVETTE_004.jpg

Mild build on a .060 over 454, stock suspension and (the horror) stock brakes. They run well, and don't break often, but don't try turning or stopping them without a lot of planning ahead!

Ohh the pain. My vette doesnt look anything like that beauty. If it did I would not be on viper forums :D. Mine was originally that hideous gold color, it is now resale red and has black side exhaust that removes calf skin when you depart the car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just love those '70-'72 Vettes. Especially with black ****** pipes and Rally wheels. I think my favotite color was called Steel City Gray?

Last edited:

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as we're posting pics of Vettes------here's mine (which is for sale, by the way)
You must be registered for see images attach

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fatboy, here's a pic of my brother's car (he also has one of those old Thunderbirds like from AG) its orginal so it doesn't have a big block! To me, this is what you should see if you look up Corvette in the dictionary! I like to wear my Viper Hero Shirt around him when I can! Lol!

Attachments

• DSC00951.jpg
    DSC00951.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 23

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fatboy, here's a pic of my brother's car (he also has one of those old Thunderbirds like from AG) its orginal so it doesn't have a big block! To me, this is what you should see if you look up Corvette in the dictionary! I like to wear my Viper Hero Shirt around him when I can! Lol!
Agreed Gerry... '56-'61 were my favorite years with the 2-tone coves! :2tu:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry. Major Faux pas....I do have Vipers though...really!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello city post. Well I have been bitten by the Viper pretty bad. I recently had renewed interest in a partial restoration of my 71 bb corvette. After digging around in it I realized that proper restoration will take me years. I don't want to wait years to enjoy cruise ins and the like.
So beings I am a 3rd generation mopar lover I started looking at vipers. Which led me to here. With a bit of looking I have decided that my choice will be a 97 gts preferably. Any gen2 gts will do. I like the b/w and sapphire most. Anyway I just popped in to introduce my self. I do have a first question. What is considered high mileage? I am thinking over 30k is. Am I wrong? I look forward to many posts and chats.

You are right about one thing, it took me 3 years and $26K in parts to get my '69 L71 roadster to NCRS Top Flight status. Beautiful rare Monaco Orange paint, 427/435 tri-power. She was my baby until I bought my new 2000 RT/10 and more and more when I went out to the garage to decide which one to drive the Viper won out with the exception of classic car shows. :(

I got a big cash offer on the Vette and took it which is a decision I regret to this day, I road raced the crap out of the gen 2 getting every mod I could, the Gen IV ACR kicked the crap out of my modded Gen II stock. Being able to play with these high HP high TQ cars is a blessing in itself.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drumr and So Cal those two are really sweet rides. I guess it has everything to do with when you were growing up. Maybe someday..........

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was growing up I was really into the AC Cobra with the 427 side oiler. When I got to the point in the 90s I could afford most cars I couldn't afford a real 427 AC Cobra and the kit cars weren't really out yet. I fell in love with the Viper but did not like the idea of side curtains so around '95 I bought a sweet '69 Vette vert and restored it. The introduction of the Gen II really got my interest so I bought a new 2000 RT/10, wow what a car. At the time it was the fastest thing out there and in 2000 there weren't too many of them even in Southern California. I was constantly challenged to races from everything from Ferraris to muscle cars, with a full Belanger exhaust and 3.55 gears I was pulling a best of 11.98 flat and pretty much blowing them all away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine