New Mods For My 2006 Coupe

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my Viper back from Adam. He installed -

-New Plugs and wires(Adam's plug wires in the color blue-a great mod)
-Spec 2 clutch & new plates for the spec light weight fly wheel
-Woodhouse trans and motor mounts
-X Metal Polished Valve Covers & Throttle body
-Polished Plenum
-The PLX Devices DM 100 Universal gauge will be installed soon-I will be able to read boost and afr in one gauge.

Adam, as usual, did great work. I like the new clutch and the Woodhouse mounts are a great mod.

I was getting some oil leaks and thought I had a bad seal in the Paxton SC-I solved this problem by installing a Jazz catch can(very neat small can that fits in nice)- I connected both valve covers to the can. Seems with the new valve covers I was getting some blow by. I really like the valve covers. They do not have baffles and we felt this was causing some of the blow by problem and Adam suggested for me to install the catch can.

I just made a tire change from the 19" A6 on the rear to the new Michelin 19" Sport Cups. I really like the Cups-after a little warm up they stick real good even with the SC the 3.55 gears and light weight fly wheel. A little spin in first gear but no wheel hop or fishtailing in any gear. I am running 28 lbs (cold) pressure on the street-at the drag track Ill probably run 24lbs cold.

The A6 took very little ,if any, warm up and was a very sticky tire-the A6 was ok in a light rain but if I got caught in a real heavy rain-was not good at all. Adam got caught in a heavy rain while he was testing my Viper and he said it was hard to control the Viper so I decided to get different tires. When I get a couple of extra rims I may use the A6 for the drag track.

The A6 and the cups will probably not be a good winter tire. So I will put my 19" Pirelli's on for the winter. The cups stick a bunch better than my 19" Pirelli's. The Pirelli's are good tires and will last longer but as mentioned will in no way stick as good as the cups on my Viper.

I was going to try the R6 but I believe the Sports Cups, though expensive, will out last the A6 or R6 and they stick real well. The side wall on the cups are much stronger. With the cups installed I took the Viper out in a heavy rain the other day and the tires performed fine. I am very very impressed with the cups.

One other change I made-I had only the primary cats and they were going bad in only 3000 miles-so now no cats with my Corsa Track exhaust system. At idle sounds very good but go to wot-well here in KY we say- "hold on to your britches";). I love the sound. The Viper seems to be running stronger.

Here are some pics of the Viper with the new mods. The 08 hood was installed last November. Some interior mods were also done.

viper1_0511.jpg

viper1_065.jpg

000_0349_edited-6.jpg

viper1_061_edited-1.jpg

viper1_026.jpg

000_0346_edited-1.jpg

viper1_056.jpg

viper1_055.jpg

viper1_069.jpg

viper1_003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks

The Valve Covers-Plenum-Throttle body are polished. Ill add this in my post.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be proud of yourself for building such a clean viper! The blue definitely seals the deal :)

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for comments

JohnK-I used the O2 Sims-been driving it without cats for almost 3 months and no codes. The side sills just get a little warm.

I like the sound-it is pretty loud under wot but just cruising around its not very loud. I have to be honest - I sure don't wear my hearing aids when I drive the viper:).

I get a little smell under wot and sometimes at a stop light but the smell is no ways near what I thought it would be. I do get some flames-it gets wild at night;).

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Love the pics! Its funny but I always thought the hood vents on my car were soo big, until the 08 came out! lol

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt the same as you-the vents are big on the 08 hood. You can really see the heat escaping from the vents especially at idle.

A couple of things may have to be done

The X Metal throttle body is nice-but at low speeds I get some surging. We may have to take it off and check things out.

I may have a problem with the reverse lock out solenoid-very difficult to get into reverse. Am I correct - that a bad solenoid can make it difficult to get in reverse? I think I read a post about some Viper owners putting in a switch to turn the solenoid off and on.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss' car is evidence that Dodge should have left the wide stripes as they were. I'd like to see some more natural pics without the photoshop enhancements on the colors. Great job on the car, Hiss.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hiss,
First, that may be the best looking viper I've ever seen.

I've been thinking about deleting cats. Did you just cut them out and put in a pipe? Welded in or held on by clamps?

Can you explain the smell some more? I have an 05 vert, would it be too bad in a vert? What does it smell like?

What kind of hp / tq gains would you get from deleting all 4 cats and using a straight pipe, I currently have a corsa. How much gain going to hi flow cats?
Thx!

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hiss,

Nice, clean, blingy installation.

I have a polished Paxton too and was admiring the way your Motons mount in your engine compartment. The Paxton makes this kinda tough.

Any chance you could share how you (or your tuner) mounted your shock cannisters?

I had them behind the fog lamps but couldn't get to them easily enough. Now they are on the crossover support and very, very close to the hood.

Any info would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Dan

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pteam-thanks for comment

Did not use straight pipe. I was using the primary cats only and they were gutted and the corsa track was installed. Some welding had to be done. In fact the cats were cut open-gutted and then welded back.

The only time I get the gas smell is sometimes at a long idle and at wot. It is not a strong smell at all. I think gutting the cat could possibly take a little off the loudness and in my case the Viper exhaust has very little smell and just a little flame at times. I could be wrong but it may be when the cats are gutted it acts some what like a baffle. Now I have a lot of back fire or popping- I like this.

With a Vert you could get more of the gas smell. Some who have taken out the cats say the smell is bad but not so with my set up. You might want to try gutting your cats and see how you like it. I have given some thought going to straight pipes but will keep it like it is since it is working fine for me.

I like the sound at idle and at wot its loud but not loud at cruise speeds. If you will send me your email address I will send you a sound clip. I have tried to get it on my thread but just can't seem to make it work.

I believe you will get a little more Hp & torque. Some say they lost a little torque on low end but this is not the case for my Viper it seems to be running stronger. Not for sure but probably be near the same increase with high flows.

With only the 4" primary cats my sills were still running a little hot. With no cats the sills are just warm to touch and even less cabin heat.
------------------------
Viper X - let me take closer pic of the canister install-Ill get back soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper x

The Motons came with the 2 metal half moon type black brackets. The brackets were bolted on and a couple pieces of rubber were glued to the inside of brackets to insulate the canister from the bolt heads. Washers were put on the bolts on the outside of the metal brackets so the stainless retaining bands could be moved around easy.

I think the wheel well liner will need to be taken off to get the bracket installed.

Here is a pic of the passenger side

viper1_090.jpg

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome job Hiss :2tu:

Thanks for the photos. I'm waiting for a quote to have the "Fangs" logo stitched...

Who did the polishing? Great job...

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exellent and very clean inside and out. Though I still dont understand how you can have such a tall truck like shifter. :D
Enjoy and run her in good.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for comments

Kala-The Plenum was polished by DLM and the Valve Covers came from X Metal.

Viper4Christ-The old shoulder is still bad-and a man my age needs all the leverage he can get:). Ive got to check into the reverse lock-man it is hard to get into reverse even with the longer shaft it takes both hands sometimes.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sylvan

The mats are made of rubber. I got these to use for every day driving so I could save my good carpet mats for car shows. They do match the interior and really pick up the pedals. They do look better in person.

Here are a couple of closer pics. Forgive the garage door opener.

Hey Viper4-I bet you will like the lower knob. I know I do but I would have to get my wife to help me put it in reverse gear. Dog gone- I just may be on to something interesting;) I believe now I will keep the lower knob on.

viper1_102.jpg

viper1_125.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnk

No bar.

Really the Snake Oly seat belts are installed like a 5 point. This is the way Snake Oyl said to install them but I am going ,in the near future, to install them like a 6 point should be - the 2 belts over the front seat installed to the rear. For every day driving I tuck the driver side belt away and use the stock belt.

Can't wait to get the pics and info on the mods Woodhouse is installing on your Viper. Especially info on the Quaife.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hiss how much is it to get the top of your engine chromed like that? (plenum?) Or is it actually high polish?

Last edited:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only chrome thing in those pics is the top of the breather tank....everything else is polished aluminum.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pteam

Like ILLSMOQ said all polished. It is expensive because it takes a lot of work- 800 to 1000$. Check with DLM or X Metal or Underground Racing. I think X Metal also polishes the tube areas on the plenum.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960