New owner here

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first of all, I would like to thank the moderators for validating my membership here.

Last week I bought a 2000 steel grey RT-10 with 6000 miles. After seeing the color I knew I had to have one that color. I looked for a GTS in steel blue, but couldnt find one, so ended up with the RT. Anyway this is my first Viper, and wont be my last. The car is so much fun to drive. I came from a 2003 Cobra, so the acceleration isnt what Im used to, but it far surpasses the Cobra in every other area.

There were headers, exhaust, smooth tubes, and KnNs. Can someone please identify the headers and the cat back for me?

Last edited:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first of all, I would like to thank the moderators for validating my membership here.

Last week I bought a 2000 steel grey RT-10 with 6000 miles. After seeing the color I knew I had to have one that color. I looked for a GTS in steel blue, but couldnt find one, so ended up with the RT. Anyway this is my first Viper, and wont be my last. The car is so much fun to drive. I came from a 2003 Cobra, so the acceleration isnt what Im used to, but it far surpasses the Cobra in every other area.

There were headers, exhaust, smooth tubes, and KnNs. Can someone please identify the headers and the cat back for me?

Good for you, my 1st Viper was a 2000 RT/10 in Black, don't recognize the headers, I had Belangers. One thing I would check is the build date, it is on the drivers side door jam, after 11/99 build is good, before may be a problem. Make sure you're pointed straight when you gas it :D

V

Venomiss

Welcome! Enjoy your Viper and get out there and drive! (Safely of course!):drive:
Shiny side up.....

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came from a 2003 Cobra, so the acceleration isnt what Im used to, but it far surpasses the Cobra in every other area.

What do you mean the acceleration isn't what your use to?:confused: Are you talking about a mustang cobra? :dunno: :)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome - the heat shield covering the headers is missing...?

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the exhaust, but would love to see pics of your RT/10!!!

Congrats and enjoy! Be careful!

Jason

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congtratulations dun4791 on your '00 Steel Grey RT/10!!! An awesome vehicle, now you gotta post a pic for your avatar (if you're a VCA member?)....wondering also what you mean by acceleration is not same as COBRA???? huh??? Welcome to the world of Vipers and the Viper forums!! Where are you located? Remember there's always our Viper Wizard on these forums--Chuck Tator from [email protected]. Any questions, he is THE best one to answer any you might have! ENJOY! ~juli~

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on getting a Viper.

I also come from an 03 Cobra. The Viper is 10 times the car but most 03 Cobras are modded and I'm guessing that's what he's talking about. My Cobra was making over 600 at the tires so my STOCK Viper doesn't accelerate as hard. Of course that is like comparing a 600 rwhp Viper to a stock Viper. At least I hope that is what he is talking about. My cobra ran the 1/4 in 12.7 stock. In the 01 GTS I've run 12.01 stock.

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good for you, my 1st Viper was a 2000 RT/10 in Black, don't recognize the headers, I had Belangers. One thing I would check is the build date, it is on the drivers side door jam, after 11/99 build is good, before may be a problem. Make sure you're pointed straight when you gas it :D

I checked the date, its 3/00. Why would it be bad to have a build before 11/99? And I guess I can rule out the belangers.....

Thank you.

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do you mean the acceleration isn't what your use to?:confused: Are you talking about a mustang cobra? :dunno: :)

Yes I had an 03 Mustang Cobra. built motor, 2.8H,solid,blah,blah,blah. It makes 680 rwhp on the street tune, 720 rwhp on the race tune.I shouldnt have even mentioned that, because there is really no comparisons that can be made with the cars. I sold the Cobra to a friend. Ive always wanted a Viper, and he made me an offer I couldnt refuse to start my hunt. I was looking for a steel grey GTS, but found an RT in that color. I like the RT, but if I ever find a good GTS in steel, I will consider upgrading. I wanted to get a feel for the car, meet some owners and do some learning, so I jumped on the one I got because it was so nice.

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congtratulations dun4791 on your '00 Steel Grey RT/10!!! An awesome vehicle, now you gotta post a pic for your avatar (if you're a VCA member?)....wondering also what you mean by acceleration is not same as COBRA???? huh??? Welcome to the world of Vipers and the Viper forums!! Where are you located? Remember there's always our Viper Wizard on these forums--Chuck Tator from [email protected]. Any questions, he is THE best one to answer any you might have! ENJOY! ~juli~

Im sending my app for the club this week. Im in Peotone, Illinois.
Thank you for the info.
Lyle

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on getting a Viper.

I also come from an 03 Cobra. The Viper is 10 times the car but most 03 Cobras are modded and I'm guessing that's what he's talking about. My Cobra was making over 600 at the tires so my STOCK Viper doesn't accelerate as hard. Of course that is like comparing a 600 rwhp Viper to a stock Viper. At least I hope that is what he is talking about. My cobra ran the 1/4 in 12.7 stock. In the 01 GTS I've run 12.01 stock.

exactly..........Its very easy to put an 03 Cobra in the 10s or 11s, depending on your mods. I used to frequent modularfords.com

To everyone else that wants pics....I will get some up this weekend. Its raining out here right now. Actually supposed to rain all weekend. Thanks for all the nice replys.............

Lyle

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im sending my app for the club this week. Im in Peotone, Illinois.
Thank you for the info.
Lyle

I just got my 2002 ACR last month and still have my 2003 Cobra. I thought my Cobra (stock) was fast but my Viper will beat it hands down. I have been waiting for my VCA membership package since Apr 16, that's almost 6 weeks.
Have fun with your car!

Bill

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://dodgevipersforsale.com/00steelgreygts.htm
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ngine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=1775
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ngine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=1103

Welcome. With the purchase of your Viper, you have just become on instant celebrity! Get ready for attention like you have never seen before. I put a links to a few Steel Grey GTS Vipers for you. Steel Grey is my favorite color for a Viper which is why I bought one. Your next step is to post some pics.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Lyle and Bill,

I hope you enjoy the forum and driving a car that says you didn't compromise!! Oh yeah, just for kicks, go out at 2 am in your pajamas and start the car.....it'll wake everyone up in the neighborhood, but it's almost like the first Christmas morning you remember from childhood!

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my 2002 ACR last month and still have my 2003 Cobra. I thought my Cobra (stock) was fast but my Viper will beat it hands down. I have been waiting for my VCA membership package since Apr 16, that's almost 6 weeks.
Have fun with your car!

Bill

Thanks Bill,

These cars are fun, for sure.

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
http://dodgevipersforsale.com/00steelgreygts.htm
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ngine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=1775
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ngine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=1103

Welcome. With the purchase of your Viper, you have just become on instant celebrity! Get ready for attention like you have never seen before. I put a links to a few Steel Grey GTS Vipers for you. Steel Grey is my favorite color for a Viper which is why I bought one. Your next step is to post some pics.

I have noticed that people seem to notice the car, I didnt realize just how many people would seem interested in it. I thought just us car guys liked Vipers.

Thanks for the links. I saw them. 1 is sold, 1 is in Florida with the wrong interior, and the other (best one is in CA.).
I was hoping to find one closer. I dont think I could buy a car sight unseen, and to fly to CA just to look at a car? John at Roanoke has me on his list in case he gets one in. He is only about an hour and a half from me. I actually drove a GTS and thought I liked the RT better, however I drove another GTS and there was alot wrong with the first one I drove. So I made a choice based on misinformation from the first GTS. Anyway, thats ok, Ive got my Steel grey. Im sure eventually I will find a good Steel GTS.

I dont know how far up you are in WI, but do you go to the Viper Club chicago area meets? I would love to see a car like the one eventually I will own.........

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love the Viper. The attn never goes away. I was outside last night taking out the garbage and had the garage door open. All of the sudden 4 teenagers on bikes are racing down my driveway. They saw the Viper parked in the garage and raced to see it. They of course all had camera phones and were taking pics and asking questions. Even a chore like taking out the garbage can turn into a 10 min question and answer period...LOL.. and get ready for the #1 and #2 questions. How fast have you had it? and How much was it?...ha ha

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont know what shield your referring to, but if you have a pic I would appreciate it.
My email is
[email protected]

On the original headers they have heat shields but when people put after market ones on they sometimes leave them off cos they are nice and shiny :) . As long as they are not melting anything you should be fine :2tu:

Welcome and enjoy! Love the colour btw

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are SVS headers, they are the best header made for the Viper. They are equal length, stepped, and should have Burns merge collectors. The headers usually come with their own proprietary sleeving. You can otherwise buy shields for them through DC Performance, they are pricey at $ 700 for a set, but are made of inconel. Welcome to the Viper world, those headers cost about as much as your entire Cobra engine from the Ford Dealer. A 3:55 complete pumpkin is available through Mopar Performance. It is by far the cheapest mod available for your car, and will yield great results. Buy the whole pumpkin assembly as it makes the swap a piece of cake in an afternoon, besides you will have your old assembly as back up.

I felt the same way about Steel Gray, once I saw it, that was the color I had to have. Join the Viper Club if you haven't already, really a great group of people.

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those are SVS headers, they are the best header made for the Viper. They are equal length, stepped, and should have Burns merge collectors. The headers usually come with their own proprietary sleeving. You can otherwise buy shields for them through DC Performance, they are pricey at $ 700 for a set, but are made of inconel. Welcome to the Viper world, those headers cost about as much as your entire Cobra engine from the Ford Dealer. A 3:55 complete pumpkin is available through Mopar Performance. It is by far the cheapest mod available for your car, and will yield great results. Buy the whole pumpkin assembly as it makes the swap a piece of cake in an afternoon, besides you will have your old assembly as back up.

I felt the same way about Steel Gray, once I saw it, that was the color I had to have. Join the Viper Club if you haven't already, really a great group of people.

MAVPR...Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

Camfab. I did a google search for SVS headers. There is a shop here in west chicago called SVS Performance. The original owner and I are both within an hour of that shop. Hes from Woodridge. I looked at the website and it looks as if I have their throttle bodies and a few other things they sell as well. Im the 2nd owner. The first traded for a new Viper, but they wont give me his name at the dealer. I called SVS earlier today, the lady there was very helpful. Shes going to see if they did the mods on the car and look it up for me. Hopefully they will know the original owner, and let me know what all mods I have.She is going to call me back Tuesday with some info. I also notice the car seems to lope a little more than the other Vipers I have looked at.

Maybe I have gears already? Those headers are pricey, huh. What is the ballpark?

Thank you for the info.

V10speedluvr...OK,OK not the right word "upgrade" I had to have steel and the RT was the only one I could find within a 1 day drive. So I picked it up. But if I ever get a chance to grab a GTS in steel Im going to jump. I dont want to have to spend so much money on hair gel.............:D

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been waiting for my VCA membership package since Apr 16, that's almost 6 weeks.
Your web account has been upgraded accordingly and your VCA member number is now in your private profile. You might want to add your VIN when you get time. As for your membership package, they send out to a private company to get your membership badge embossed with your name and member number. It takes a little bit of time...

A belated welcome to the VCA!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4