New owner.... Where can I get a soft top ?

GoldMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just traded my Vette for a Red 2000 RT/10, that came with the hardtop only.

Where can I get a deal on a soft top?
That will fit in the trunk for use on the road.

Used ones seem hard to find, what do they cost new ?
Are any aftermarket tops available? If so, where can I find one?

BTW... This car is AWESOME !!! No More Corvettes !!!

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New owner (stupid question?)... Does a soft top fit in the trunk ?

Yes.

And if you are creative, you can still fit some soft luggage in there too (like two overnight bags). Some people even loose the spare and just bring a small tire repair kit.

OP
OP
G

GoldMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks JDR (for the trunk fit info)...
Now I need to know where to get a deal on one.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

GoldMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That one on eBay does look like a good deal, in spite of the $100 shipping charge.. I'll probably bid on it when it gets close to the auction end.
Thanks for the tip!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No prob. Glad I could help. Let me know if you win it.

I find myself only using the hard top. I never used the soft top because I have heard they are just a bit of work to get up but to eachs own. I just drive hoping for no bad weather. LOL!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug,
CONGRATS AND WELCOME!!

2000 RT/10 Top #PK61SX9AL MSRP $2275.00 [VCA discount -20%]

DO NOT drive around with out your spare!! It is part of the structural integrity of the Viper for rear end collisions! :eek:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"DO NOT drive around with out your spare!! It is part of the structural integrity of the Viper for rear end collisions!"

Is it really? What exactly does a small spare do in a rear collision?

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F355,
Best color choice!

Viper Wizard and GoldMan,
OK...
Just 'cause I took the risk for adding space doesn't mean it's the right thing to do... The Spare Tire subject has apparently already been beat to death, and consensus seams to be it was engineered to be part of the passenger protection system. So mine's staying in, unless I want to risk the trunk-through-the-window scenario.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to F355 the crash tests on these cars had the spare in to pass the tests. Viper Days WILL NOT let you run without the spare in place! Its not worth the chance of something happening for a little space. I have seen people remove the spare to build amp and sub-woofer boxes, and hope for their sake that they are not rear ended. the spare is bolted to the frame and is supposedly will keep the trunk from removing your head.

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so if you get in a accident with the spare tire on.. can you sue dodge? afterall, yuo had to use the spare.. and the car can no longer pass safty tests...

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damm good point about spare in use, Dan. But you must remember the most likely accident in a RT will be front/ side b/c the brakes are soso and the car likes to spin. trust me, a new hormone was created in my body many times while controlling emergency maneuvers and stops.
Goldman, I put on/took off my soft top @ 1000+ times in 4 years. It is an artful, fluid procedure. my record time removing was 35 seconds involving unlacthing front/rear, flipping top and placing 90degrees on top of car, unscrewing 2 bolts simultaneously, folding arms in, trifolding, and placing in passenger seat. Stowing in trunk involves removing 3 velcroed metal bars and pacing in vinyl stow case. Only did this ONE TIME. DO NOT stow in trunk w/out case. many wtfs when you see the results of viper G's. Now placing the top involves the above reversed PLUS you MUST ALIGN 2 bolts perfectly and 2 rear latches love to scratch crossbar. Align front latches first and check rear before dropping in place. It is much easier to pivot roof against chest while doing this. Using just your arms makes for weird back pains. when latched, finish by sealing top above door windows by folding in seam front to back like a ziplock. perform these procedures with both doors open or at least the window down a bit for full seating. DOUBLE CHECK rear latch seating/lock by pulling up at rear and when in car, ALWAYS check front latches. Surprises at speed scck. Record time 42 seconds. Get the viper video that came with new cars. shows most of this, plus shutting hood. when delivered, salesmen f'ed up both top/hood but they swore they knew what they were(not) doing. video revealed all. check used top for pinholes b/c mine developed several. Also, I could never find a quick soft top just for security. Best part is that it never leaked in downpours. Have fun doing this for many, many happy and healthy years.