New question from the "Fluid Man" ;-)

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

After you have helped me a lot with my power steering fluid question, I do have another one :smirk::

This time it's about the brake fluid. I have noticed, that according to the instruction on the cap of the brake fluid reservoir, I should only fill in DOT3 fluid. In the '98 service manual, however, it says to use DOT4 and if this is not at hand, DOT3 can be used, too. Now, what fluid should I use (want to do a complete exchange)? Would Mopar DOT4 (4549625AD) be ok?

Thanks again,

Holger

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mopar DOT 4 in brakes and clutch for daily driving. If you track car, would get a more robust fluid such as Motul 600.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to use Castrol LMA as a premium brake fluid for my non-track cars; although most name brand DOT 4 is good enough.

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always a safe bet to go with DOT4. You can use it in any system designed for DOT3.

I used Motul 600 all the time when I was driving hard and track days.

Daily drivers get Motul 660. It lasts longer.

I recommend brake fluid changes at least yearly with everything else. The 600 needs to be changed much more.

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know, that I changed brake and clutch fluid today. I used the Mopar DOT 4 fluid. Everything went fine, but I don't feel/experience any difference when driving. The reservoir, however, looks much better (lighter) now. The old fluid looked very, very old. I hope, it wasn't still the factory fill :omg:

Holger

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't seen Tom on the boards in awhile.... Hope he chimes in again. The man's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to fluids/oils etc. besides, I love the rear caliper covers he sold me and I don't mind sayin' they look pretty good on MyViper's car too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine