New rear gear 3.08 OR 3.54? 97 GTS

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know many have changed rear ratios.....if you went to 3.54s what do you think?

Holeshot better?

0-60 better?

1/8th mile better?

Any feedback before she goes in.....thanks

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your questions sounded like improvement at the dragstrip, which will be minimal.

The real reason to change out your gears is that it simply feel better. No more bog, instant throttle response, tire shredding torque, and great fun.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And in my case the 3.54s required an extra shift to get through the quarter mile so the lower gears slowed the car down. 3;05s back in the car now. Changing the 5 and 6th gears might be the smarter thing to do. A lower 5th gear would pick up the high speed acceleration and installing a much lower 6th may make it useable for more than a gas mileage gear.

Depends on how much power you have and what you use your car for. Under the 75mph (highest in N. America) speed limit - who cares?

Ted

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much should it cost to switch these out to 3.54? Also, does the gas mileage suffer? I take mine on long trips, and am currently getting about 330 miles to the tank on my long trips (530 KM), i'd hate for that to suffer....

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much should it cost to switch these out to 3.54? Also, does the gas mileage suffer? I take mine on long trips, and am currently getting about 330 miles to the tank on my long trips (530 KM), i'd hate for that to suffer....

Roe Racing sells the 3.55 gears and the speedometer recalibration kit. I have been told the swap out is about 8 hours labor. I would expect $1,200 total.

If you are not using 6th gear now and can use 6th after the gear swap, the gas mileage should not change much. If you are using 6th now to get the 330 miles per tank, the gas mileage will drop.

3.07 is hard enough to launch without excessive wheelspin when drag racing. 3.55 gives more seat of the pants feel on acceleration and more punch from a rolling start where excessive wheelspin is less of an issue.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whne I installed 3.73s in my old 96, gas mileage dropped from 23.5 to 22 MPG. But really, is gas mileage a concern in the viper? :D :D :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i always thought if i was gonna change gear ratios, id like to go with the 3.33's at MOST

OP
OP
H

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually have to replace the gears due to a broken tooth. Go back to stock or change it up?
99% street driven. And yes, sixth gear is almost never used.
Brand new PS2s, and they are pretty sticky?
Just wondered if there were supporting numbers for 0-60 or 0-100 with the higher 3.54?
Cost is about $610 including gears from a great local shop. Of course, I am carrying in the diff.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have to replace the gears due to a broken tooth. Go back to stock or change it up?
99% street driven. And yes, sixth gear is almost never used.
Brand new PS2s, and they are pretty sticky?
Just wondered if there were supporting numbers for 0-60 or 0-100 with the higher 3.54?
Cost is about $610 including gears from a great local shop. Of course, I am carrying in the diff.

Does that include speedo recalibrator and install? Probably not if you are carrying the diff only to a gear shop.

OP
OP
H

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no recal, maybe just I will just go back to stock. The car is not THAT slow with the stock gears.

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 355's in a 05. More street driveable. Better off the line. However on the track you will have to shift more. You will hit the red line quicker when punching it. You will have to shift quicker or you will red line.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No improvement in e.t. at the strip.

You must shift into 4th gear in the quarter mile.

For daily driving you will love it.:drive:

If you are worried,with stock diameter tires compromise with 3.33.

Unitrax will sell you a recal box for your specific car based on the gear and tire size.
Its takes about a half hour to install under the hood.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone said that the recal box only fixes the MPH, not the ODO. If that's true, why bother with a recal box?

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone said that the recal box only fixes the MPH, not the ODO. If that's true, why bother with a recal box?

The box does both the odometer and speedometer. Without the box you will be puttting more miles on the odometer because the speedometer will be reading higher mph which will equate to more distance than the car is actually driven.

Lastly for those who are still on the fence about gearing. I have yet to see a post that says "whatever you do don't change the gears" or "man that gear change caused me to damage my car". The worst I have ever heard is I may have picked the wrong gear for my application. So decide where you would like your power, street,road course,drag strip,auto-cross,top speed or cruisng and go for it.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And in my case the 3.54s required an extra shift to get through the quarter mile so the lower gears slowed the car down. 3;05s back in the car now. Changing the 5 and 6th gears might be the smarter thing to do. A lower 5th gear would pick up the high speed acceleration and installing a much lower 6th may make it useable for more than a gas mileage gear.
Ted

I'm with Ted, they ****. I tried for 1 month and will never go back to 3.54's.
Your 1/4 mile times will not improve, car FEELS more responsive, but is a dog on high speed runs (80-150). I actually lost to my Viper buddies after the swap.. So much about the performance gain.... 0-50 they are great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32