New Stereo Head Unit Possible n 2008 Viper?

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car (Blue/Silver stripes coupe '08) arrives next week.

The car does NOT have Nav.

In terms of the stereo, I definitely want a functional iPod interface and mounts, and possibly nav, although I am leaning toward a protable GPS unit.

In my last car (which had XM Radio--not my favorite) I needed to purchase a $250 gizmo from iPod Car Parts and then pay someone $300 to install it and a mount to hold the iPod. So the unit was hard-wired.

In the new Viper, I am thinking that if it is possible to replace the Viper headunit with a iPod friendly Alpine or other head unit then that might be a better idea.

Has anyone tried this?

I am not crazy about replacing all speakers, etc. at this time.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an Alpine head unit in my 2006, direct wired to an 80gb iPod in my Glove box with nearly my entire music collection. I love it. Of course, I added subs, amps, and new speakers all around too...

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

Apparently, because our cars have "powered systems," to replace the head unit we either need to get a new wiring harness or rewire everything or (as you did) replace everything. The main thing I care about is hooking my iPod up to the existing system.

Anyway, my guys are working on it, but I was hoping for some Forum experience to assist in the process. :)

ccbatson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory Nav/CD/Stereo/Sirius unit is the Alpine RB1. Later versions are modifiable to add an ipod interface that is easily wired to a port in the center armrest compartment. On ebay, you can get them for 700 or so (complete). Brand new they run 1700 with everything. The install is very easy, the one part that is "rigged" is the placement of the sirius receiver which is pretty much shoved behind the head unit (it fits, but is ugly..albeit hidden). The antenna (2 of them) have sticky tape to place them right under the top of the dash.

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory Nav/CD/Stereo/Sirius unit is the Alpine RB1. Later versions are modifiable to add an ipod interface that is easily wired to a port in the center armrest compartment. On ebay, you can get them for 700 or so (complete). Brand new they run 1700 with everything. The install is very easy, the one part that is "rigged" is the placement of the sirius receiver which is pretty much shoved behind the head unit (it fits, but is ugly..albeit hidden). The antenna (2 of them) have sticky tape to place them right under the top of the dash.

This sounds very good! So In need:

1. The Alpine RB1 Unit; plus

2. Sirius unit; plus

3. iPod adapter.

Will my dash console still work if I swap out the non-nav stock stereo head unit for the RB1? (I just purchased the carbon fiber look unit from Jon at Partsrack).

Thanks again for your efforts!

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the Alpine website does not list any "RB1".

Does the navigation stereo head unit have a separate Alpine website model number?

Thanks!

Last edited:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alpine is not going to list RB1 on its website.

This is an Alpine designed OEM unit specifically for Dodge/Chrysler.

Tim

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, I figured as much.

I will wait for someone to come out with a iPod tap in for the stock (which have not yet found to exist for 2008s) non-nav radio, or I will just replace everything with a good aftermarket system. I just hate to rip into a brand new car.