new to viper-possible stupid questions.

Livinthedream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello all. i am new to the Viper world and have a few questions after recently purchasing one.
car info- 2005 viper srt 10,30k miles
1st
i just moved the car from storage and had noticed a nice puddle of oil after sitting for 5 months. located from passenger side directly behind the front tire. The oil seems to be coming from the 2 lines connecting to the top of the oil filter. its seems to be dripping down the lines. where do the lines connect? possible to the oil cooler? is this a common problem with these cars, and if so, would your guess be the oil lines themselves, the cooler, or possible gasket?
2nd
looking to uprade the exhaust. i have the side sills of now. seems to be much easier then previous cars i have owned.
instead of spending rediculous money on a cat back... (900$ +?? ther is hardley any stainless involved. way to make viper owners pay up :)has anyone say purchased a magnaflow mufflers only, ( close in size)and just welded/clamped it in place? what is the disadvantage of removing both cats and puting a stright pipe from the header to the mufler? (no emissions here). generally im looking for some sound on a budget. ;)
( full bellanger will be a down the road install along with some possible boost)
3rd
do all 2005 vipers come with the "dynamic suspension" suspensions?
4th
i will be instaling a k and n, replacing the rears with nitto invos, and giving it some royal purple treatment.
thanks in advance for your replies.

St.Char

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe you are talking about the oil cooler lines, if so , these are known to be a common problem and will need to be replaced. From what I've seen on here, it's not too complicated, but someone will chime in here that has more experience with these. In the meantime, try doing a search for oil cooler lines. Good Luck and welcome. Post some pics of your car.

OP
OP
L

Livinthedream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you are talking about the oil cooler lines, if so , these are known to be a common problem and will need to be replaced. From what I've seen on here, it's not too complicated, but someone will chime in here that has more experience with these. In the meantime, try doing a search for oil cooler lines. Good Luck and welcome. Post some pics of your car.
thanks for the reply!
here is one pic of the car..
You must be registered for see images attach

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oil cooler lines, common issues, all of us have had it, or will have it (I have a 2003). Also, I recommend Micheline PS2, which have now been superceded by Supersports, over the Nittos

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st; Don't waste your money on the K&N.

2nd; Why not replace all four tires? Don't just go by wear, what's the tires' age?

3rd; Oil lines - http://viperspecialtyperformance.co...ucts_id=196&osCsid=q8iktrlineuihjvsqj5etkk3p2

or http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/search.php?mode=search

You can get new factory replacements also, but then you'll be doing the job again someday. I have the lines from Snake Oyl, and they've been fine, but the ones now available from VSP have a 90deg fitting one end that help them route better. The job itself, while a bit of a pita, is technically very straight forward.

4th; Welcome and enjoy your new toy with caution and respect :2tu:.

viper vince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely get the PS 2 like night and day you will not be sorry! Has any the brake fluid and the clutch been changed ? Something to think about.

OP
OP
L

Livinthedream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait... didn't they start making the GTS blue in 2006 again?
you are correct! car was originally silver and has been repainted the blue. i was told it was a custom color, but am hoping its a factory color for touch up reasons ( some bubbling over the passenger exhaust side sill i am going to have repainted)

OP
OP
L

Livinthedream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely get the PS 2 like night and day you will not be sorry! Has any the brake fluid and the clutch been changed ? Something to think about.
im not sure if it has or not, but it will be getting that done as well as soon as it warms up enough to lay on the floor in the garage.
i will check in to the ps2s. whats mileage expectancy on the michelins? ( i know, depends on how hard i drive. just for a starting point we will say some normal driving)

OP
OP
L

Livinthedream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st; Don't waste your money on the K&N.

2nd; Why not replace all four tires? Don't just go by wear, what's the tires' age?

3rd; Oil lines - http://viperspecialtyperformance.co...ucts_id=196&osCsid=q8iktrlineuihjvsqj5etkk3p2

or http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/search.php?mode=search

You can get new factory replacements also, but then you'll be doing the job again someday. I have the lines from Snake Oyl, and they've been fine, but the ones now available from VSP have a 90deg fitting one end that help them route better. The job itself, while a bit of a pita, is technically very straight forward.

thanks for the info. there is a big price diff between the 2. is the 250 dollar more cost really worth it? the 79 seems much more appealing.
why no k and n? i have to replace the filters anyway. ( just curious)
thanks again for the oil line info

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure where you're seeing those numbers ($250, $79). The vsp lines are $295 and the snake oyl lines are $360. And yes, they're worth it.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 03 with the K&N already installed. Doesn't really add much from what I'm told, as the factory setup is good. Nothing bad (except on the Gen 4, then there could be issues) but just not worth the $$, from what I'm told. Of course, upside is it only needs oiling every 50,000 miles, at least according to K&N.