new viper owner here

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am new to the forum and new to the viper world. i just got a 1999 silver viper gts this past weekend and am enjoying the car already! the level of torque is amazing, not like any other car i have driven.

I am from northern california but picked up the car in Phoenix, Arizona. Car wasnt supposed to have any stories but it seemed to be lacking in the maintenance department. the car started overheating the minute i got it. thought it was just the 115 degree arizona heat but after a few phone calls, it was confirmed that something had to be wrong. I needed this car to be able to make a 900 mile drive but we couldnt even go 9 miles without the coolant temp gauge reading all the way to the right. luckily Eddie Martin was only a few miles away. He picked up my car late in the afternoon and promised to look at it first thing in the morning. sadly, i had a PPI done on the car at another dealership but they did not find the cooling issue. turns out the cooling fan was not turning on and the car needed relays for this secondary fan. I was only able to give Eddie until early afternoon to get the car back in shape so that the journey to california could begin. In that short time, Eddie was able to get the fans working, the coolant flushed, oil changed, belts swapped, a/c serviced, intake filter and throttle bodies cleaned, front brakes changed, and a new thermostat installed. talk about short notice and service! If Eddie werent around and so knowledgable, I would have been stuck 900 miles away and spending several unplanned days in arizona. The drive home was a breeze. no more overheating. I wish I could have had more time in Phoenix so that Eddie could spend more time with my Viper. You Arizona guys are lucky to have Eddie around.

I look forward to learning a lot from the members on this board and possibly joining the viper club of america (if time permits)

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum & Congratulations on your purchase. Your first mod. if you've checked around here is to put some new tires on it if their older than 4-5 years(very dangerous). Stay Safe & Enjoy!

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the car! Sorry to hear about the problems to being with, but glad it all worked out and you made it home safe.

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum & Congratulations on your purchase. Your first mod. if you've checked around here is to put some new tires on it if their older than 4-5 years(very dangerous). Stay Safe & Enjoy!

the car has bfgoodrich kdw 2 on the rear and Cooper tires on the front. surprised at the tire choice for the fronts. debating on getting front tires to match the rears or just swap them all out. the rears are 2010 tires so not too old.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On ultra high performance cars like your Viper, matched, fresh tires are critical to its safe operation.

Cooper and KDW tires are most often fitted due to their low prices.

Least expensive choice would be fresh KDW on the front.

A fresh set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 is an even better option.

Enjoy your new Viper.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I could have had more time in Phoenix so that Eddie could spend more time with my Viper. You Arizona guys are lucky to have Eddie around.

So true.

Congrats on the new-to-you car.

the car has bfgoodrich kdw 2 on the rear and Cooper tires on the front. surprised at the tire choice for the fronts. debating on getting front tires to match the rears or just swap them all out. the rears are 2010 tires so not too old.

Sounds like someone definitely was on a tight budget. I would at least get the fronts to match the rears unless all you do is city driving. You don't really know how that set up affects your handling when you get in situations where you want it to handle "right." It all depends on why you bought the car. Looks? Straight line performance? Handling? or the whole package. The BFGs aren't known to be the best for handling; but, from reports, they satisfy the needs of a lot of guys here; so, they are most likely good enough for most folks.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What part of northern California are you based out of? There are a few of us around Travis AFB, Vacaville, Dixon, and Sacramento. Let's go cruzin!:D

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the advice on tires. i think i will go for the bfgoodrich for now.

mutts - i am in cupertino so a bit south from you.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the Viper; glad to hear you're starting to enjoy it now. NorCal VCA has a dinner meeting a week from today at Mythos in San Carlos; contact Terri Angen at [email protected] if you're interested.

Regards,
Aaron
Venom 21206 in Hillsborough, CA

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto about your comments about Eddie. He is the only one that gets to touch my machine!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixagg