New Viper Owner- Tech Question

Textom2576

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2014 GTS (used, 4K mile) from a dealership and absolutely love the car. After about a week I noticed the valve train chattering, rather loudly, especially when approaching 5K rpms. After talking to several other Viper owners, most said this was not the norm. I took the car of the local dealership and after finding the car severely low on oil, we found metal shavings in the oil. The car seems to be eating oil but there is no smoke. Any ideas on what could have caused this? The car was towed to a SRT specialized dealership and I await the verdict. It's under full warranty but know one seems to have any idea of what happened. Thanks in advance for the advice.- T

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's not burning it, and not in the coolant, than they probably didn't fill it properly from factory.

Just noticed it was used, maybe the previous owner did the oil change and didn't fill it properly

OP
OP
T

Textom2576

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my suspicion as well but it came from a dealership who said they performed a 120 point inspection. If they give me any grief over this at the local dealership i will certainly fall back on the original dealership where i purchased it.

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my suspicion as well but it came from a dealership who said they performed a 120 point inspection. If they give me any grief over this at the local dealership i will certainly fall back on the original dealership where i purchased it.
If they did an inspection they should have noticed the fact that it was low. They probably just checked the tires and washed it. Just a guess. Also I would suspect
the original owner didn't observe break in period.

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yah I totally argree Broom, I bought a used vehicle from a dealer and the air filter was just about plugged solid. So, they may not have checked the oil in this case - or much else.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read posts on the two Viper club forums about Gen V engine failures. At least a couple with dramatically low oil level; but, I don't remember any at this mileage level. It is also confusing whether it was only 2013 or 2014 also. Recommendations by posters were to check oil often during early miles because some Vipers used quite a bit of oil before "breaking in" and then consumption went down. I don't know that there is an actual break in regimen applicable for the engine, though.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are doing the right thing by taking it to a Viper Tech.

There is some valve train noise in these motors--you usually hear this at idle in neutral. Some burn oil, some do not burn a drop.

You must determine if your motor was damaged by the previous owner or effectively damaged by the dealer not prepping the car properly for you. Hopefully, there is not much time between your pickup of the car and your contact of the dealer regarding the issue.

If it was me, I would handle it quietly off these internet boards and directly with the dealer. If the matter (if there is a matter at all) is not resolved to your satisfaction, then contact SRT directly for further action. SRT is usually excellent in addressing any issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave