New Viper Owner

viper_roman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am pleased to say that I just recently purchased a 1994 Viper RT/10. However, I do have a couple of questions. First, are there any common problems that I should be aware of and anything that can be done to help prevent? How are the transmissions on these cars as far as reliability? Same for the clutch? The car has 31K on it and seems to have been very well cared for. Love the car and it will be a daily driver. Thank you for your help.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The T-56 Borg Warner tranny in these is very reliable. Jack your car up and look to see if your head gaskets have been replaced. From under the engine, you will see the gasket sticking out and if it's corroded looking and falls apart, then you have the original head gaskets and they will need to be replaced. Look for any weeping or rusty water marks on the block. If you have the new gaskets it will be multi-layered steel. If you are not sure, just take a pic and post it here.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:woot: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: Congratulations on your purchase of the RT/10!!!
Can't help you as far as your questions/concerns, but just wanted to congratulate you!!
Post pics when you can, and what color is it? VERY cool it will be your daily driver :cool: .
ENJOY! ~juli~

OP
OP
V

viper_roman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am located in Kansas City. The car is red and came with hardtop and soft top as well as lexan windows and the original. It is an A/C car too. The drive to work has never seemed so short! Also, my father just purchased a 1992 Viper with 15K out of Ohio. He will be bringing it back to Kansas City on June 6th. We should have a lot of fun this summer.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh very cool--now you and your Dad can enjoy 'spirited' drives!! ;) ;) Congrats to the both of you and TOTALLY ENJOY!!! :drive: ~juli~

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like most will tell you, if the tires are original, get new ones. Old, hard, rubber is dangerous with any car, and more so when combined with a torquey engine.

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kansas City has an active chapter of the Viper Club of America (check out the posts in the "Kansas City Forum" on this website). I am from Wichita.

As others have noted, be careful with the "big engine, old tires" combination (or "big engine, new tires" combination, for that matter.....). You have some good Viper resources in KC.

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase!!!

No kidding about the old / cold tires on these cars. When I first got my 01 over a year ago I'd just sold my 750 hp 03 cobra. I read the post and thought whats the big deal its just a stock Viper. Then I went out and spun the car on an on-ramp to the interstate with a hard 1st to 2nd shift. Thank God I didn't hurt anyone, myself or the car. Big engine, no weight over the back tires can be trouble. Enjoy but be careful until you get to know it. :drive:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TIRES TIRES TIRES and when you think their good more TIRES!! Obviously safety is the most important reason, but the car is alot more fun with sticky rubber.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase!!!

No kidding about the old / cold tires on these cars. When I first got my 01 over a year ago I'd just sold my 750 hp 03 cobra. I read the post and thought whats the big deal its just a stock Viper. Then I went out and spun the car on an on-ramp to the interstate with a hard 1st to 2nd shift. Thank God I didn't hurt anyone, myself or the car. Big engine, no weight over the back tires can be trouble. Enjoy but be careful until you get to know it. :drive:

50/50 weight distribution, doesn't get much better than that.

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't know our cars are 50/50. Now I don't have anything to blame it on other than my in-ability to drive! Thanks Dude. ;)

V

Venomiss

Congratulations on you new ride!
My question to you-did you buy this car in KC? We knew of a car for sale with the same miles on it from here. Wonder if it's the same one.

The club from KC might be able to help you out-one of our officers is quite a mechanic.
He has done work on many Vipers from the KC club. (Including ours and we are on number three now). That would be the person who can help you the most locally.
The club is very active and we have many different events-something for everyone.
Looking forward to meeting you and your Dad at a meeting!:drive:

P.S. Feel free to P.M. me with questions and we'll get them answered.