New Wheels Also?

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many members have mentioned the stock SRT-10 wheels are very heavy. What is the "seat of the pants" and/or track performance improvement by going with lighter wheels? I'm looking at going to non run-flat tires and I don't know if it is worth replacing the wheels as well. I realize my tire options are much greater if I change wheel sizes. Thanks for your input.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you put these on it day and night. Worth easilly .02 tenths.

6400IMGP2334-med.JPG

vd..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Big changes. As ViperD says. The stock wheels are very, strong and very, very heavy. I have a set of SSR comps on the car now with Nitto drag radials on the rear and Michelin PS2's on the front. I'm not 100 percent certain of the total weight savings, but could check as I still have both sets of stock and after market wheels. I would guess a 5 - 7 lb weight savings on the front and about 10 lb on the rear, per wheel / tire vs. run flats. The change in rotational mass is huge. The current Viper mag has an article on the new lighter wheels for 05 / 06.

Acceleration is improved as is braking. You will feel the difference if you drag your car, track your car or just drive aggressively on the street.

Big difference.

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has the SSR wheels at the best price? And do they have the black center in stock or is that something I have to do?

Thanks

OP
OP
D

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will feel the difference if you drag your car, track your car or just drive aggressively on the street.

Big difference.

Sorry to sound slow here but how does the handling feel different? Is the difference mainly due to the new tires or do the lighter wheels really make a difference? Thanks

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will feel the difference if you drag your car, track your car or just drive aggressively on the street.

Big difference.

Sorry to sound slow here but how does the handling feel different? Is the difference mainly due to the new tires or do the lighter wheels really make a difference? Thanks

Handling, like acceleration and braking, will be dramatically improved due to the unsprung weight on the suspensions components. The car would be able to sweep through turns easier and more effortlessly. The difference is due to both the weight of the wheels as well as the tires weight. You also have to figure in that the stock run-flats do not grip as well as a set of PS2's. All 3 of these factors contribute greatly to the vehicles characteristics.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The total rotational weight savings will be around 60lbs depending on what tires you go with. I run a little different setup than most SSR comp guys.

Tire Rack is about the only place on earth you can get them. Call Luke or Adam at TireRack.

The fronts are actually 11 inch wide so you will have to go with a 10mm wider tire, and keep the aspect ratio number the same. You have several choices on tires.

If you want straight line traction, and still maintain decent handling, I would go with the 13 rear, and unfortunatly the BFG drag radial is one full inch smaller in diameter than the oem tire. I don't really like that, so I have opted to run four 11 inch front SSR comps, and go with the Nitto 305/45/18 drag radial on the rear. They fit like a glove on the 11 inch rim, and the they have a somewhat bigfoot look to them, but very aggresive. You must then lower the car, down around them.

There are so many benifits to this setup, many are mentioned above, and still many more. There are a few drawbacks as well. I'll send you some pics of my car if you email me.

By the way, the pics of the SSR comp do not do it justice at all. I promise you they are a very classy looking wheel.

This is a first step in correcting what I would call a major flaw in the car. 72lb each is what your rear tire and wheel weigh, and around 60lbs each in the front. I'll have to check my notes. That's terrible, on a car like this.

Skip White

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you use the Nitto 305/45/18 drag radial or the 305/35/18 drag radial?
I know you said the 45 but just want to make sure. And send me some pic's of the wheel please.
Thanks

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the 45's Nitto 555 Extreme, I think it's called.

The 35's would be way to low in profile when calculated with the 305 number.

Send me an email at [email protected], and I'll send you some pics.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
DJSelf,

I have a set of the 305/45/18 Nitto drag radials Skip is referring to. I'll sell them to you if you are interested. They have about 60 miles on them with no burn outs and appear new. I tried these and they work great with 3.55's and up.

When I switched back to the 3.07s and installed the Quaife (due to power level), I bought a pair of 305/35/18 Nitto drag radials. They work much better with the 3.07s at my current power level. These are just a bit taller than the stock Gen II rears, about 1 inch shorter than the stock Pilot rears and offer 12.4 inches of tread. The traction difference is HUGE! You have to drive it to believe it.

Good luck,

Dan

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPERX if djself doesn't go with them i would be interested if you still have
them. i'm looking for a set of wheels with tires for drag racing only if anyone
here has them.

thanks in advance, tom

DJ Self

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will pass on the tires. But thanks. I still need to pick a wheel to get.
Will the 305 fit on a 13 in wide rim?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Tom, I still have the big Nittos - tires only. Email me at: [email protected] if interested.

DJ, the 305's need a 10 or 11 inch rim depending upon aspect ratio ( 35's prefer 11, 40's prefer 10 but will work on 11). Check the Nitto website for fitment. I just ordered a set of Forgelines from Partsrack. Strong, light and good looking. HRE's look great but are very heavy.