New whine after 355 swap?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The gear lash is most likley improperly set. Not the trans. Normal ONLY with an imperfect setup.

The key is your 'steady cruise' clue.....Its like GoldiLocks:
I think I have the 3 dimensions right:

Set too thin, you get decell whine
Set too deep you get accel whine.
Set off-center (I think) and you get cruise whine.

We need Goldilocks' "Just Right"............

have your installer call me Monday AM..... Ill be in 730a Pacific. Tech help avail 9am Pacific

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been having a cruise whine on a bone stock 02 since day one.. i consider it normal.. is it?

alex
02 gts
few other cars

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From past experience on my old muscle cars, the brand/quality of gears is also a key to more/less whine along with proper installation. I went with top line gear set from JonB and he is installing them into a new rear for me. There are ring/pinion sets out there for $250, but I would not put them in a Viper.

No whine whatsoever with stock 3.07's and I expect the same with the new 3.55 setup.

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '96 GTS whines whenever my wife is riding with me. It seems to be coming from the area around the right side of the interior. Any ideas what this might be? It's really intermittent, and when she's gone, it seems to go away. Hmmmm.... Please help !!

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with my gears from Unitrax. They suggested I replace them, so I did. In my case was gear lash on accel.