News,,,,Enzo and Viper

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First the pleasant news: Then the Bad.

I'm leaving downtown Miami today about 1 pm.....going north on I-95. I look in my mirrow and see a yellow Enzo whip in behind me. I was surprised to see this car behind me. Very surprised.

I could see he was going to pass, so I rolled down my window to hear it go by. However, it was quiet. Then he moved to the HOV lane where there is a barrier, and applied power a few times. The sound bounced off the barrier, but it was not an impressive sound. Stock exhaust systems stink......no matter what car they are on.

Now the bad news............:

When I got back to my office, I opened up the Broward newspaper and read that a Viper broad-sided a Massachusetts couple, killing the wife. It happened on northbound on A1A at 9:30 PM at Foxglove Terrace.

They were in their sixties...the husband turned left onto Foxglove, and the Viper slammed into the side of their Mitsubishi, killing the woman. Police are investigating whether speed was a factor.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh you can bet they'll say speed was a factor. Every chance they get the blame it on speed whether true or not. Does the Broward newspaper have a website?

True about stock exhaust although the SRT sounds reasonable for a stock system. Blame the government's strict noise rules for that.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a new yellow Gallardo pass me on I-95 two days ago. I was as quiet as the Honda Accord that was in front of it!
I was very surprised that I could not hear the exhaust or engine with my windows down at 70 mph. I was in my truck at the time, so I didn't get to see how well it ran!

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 1 month ago, I was side by side with a Gallardo, a black one with a paper tag. I was in my red GTS and we both got on it hard. I could not believe how hard I pulled him.......and how quickly. I think he got off the throttle
very quickly......so he could play it off like he was not trying. Is it possible that our Vipers are that much faster?? Or was he really not trying??? Opinions....??
P.S. my GTS is a stock 97...no mods, but I do know how to hook it up and go!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a news link on the accident (not much more detail)

I note that the Mitsubishi was turning left and was hit on the passenger side. This would indicate to me that they turned in front of an oncoming car, which in this case was a Viper. No idea if speed was a factor, and since it is a highway (no idea of the speed limit in that section) even a 55 mph broadside could kill someone.

No matter how you slice it, it is most definitely a tragedy. My thoughts go out to all involved.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in SC unmufflered Harleys are common. My SRT is about perfect with straight pipes. Nice sound at cruise, then 'cop alert' loud when I get on it. I don't like the German laws on sound either! I saw a Yellow 550 Maranello (sp) pull up beside the street car I was on in Munich. I opened the little window at the top of the glass to hear it as the light turned green (actually it flashes yellow first to tell you it's about to turn green! Did ya'll know that? It's like a drag race at every light) ANYWAY, I could barely hear it. I suppose it makes sense in crowded cities where everyone lives in appartments. I found some electric cut-outs on the internet, McCord power Plate. If I had a noise law in my area, I'd buy a set of these. Flip a switch and nice and quiet. Flip it again and WIDE OPEN. Best of both worlds.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I wish I lived in Florida. I never see a viper on the road let alone a ferrari. Not to mention the weather. Hopefully someday, sighhhhhhh. Sorry to hear about the accident.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 1 month ago, I was side by side with a Gallardo, a black one with a paper tag. I was in my red GTS and we both got on it hard. I could not believe how hard I pulled him.......and how quickly. I think he got off the throttle
very quickly......so he could play it off like he was not trying. Is it possible that our Vipers are that much faster?? Or was he really not trying??? Opinions....??
P.S. my GTS is a stock 97...no mods, but I do know how to hook it up and go!

Its all in the driver buddy, Its all in the driver :2tu:

The greatest mod to a car isn't always under the hood. :D

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even so, I would take a brand spanking new GTS over and Enzo. I know it may sound weird, but I just like the GTS better. It's not that I don't think the Enzo isn't awesome, I truly think it is amazingly great. However, the GTS is just better. Also, let's not forget the price difference. To get an Enzo, figure on paying 1.5 million or so. While a 2001 GTS, with literally every upgrade possible, making 1100+ hp and torque, will beat an Enzo I think, at about 1million or more less then the Enzo itself.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Donzi,

You were surprized you pulled the Lambo so hard? Hmmm, I ask why, as the translation of this Latin word is quite simple, and will surely explain all.

Gallardo -- from the base word gall, as in, " Why would he have the gall to even expect to keep up with my Snake? " The second syllable, is ennunciated on the base bootheel word " Lardo," but this should actually be shortened to lard. Lard , of course , relates to fat , tubby , or the famous adjective of overweightness. This can be noted in sentences such as, " Wow, what a slow-mo that Lardazz is !" The last vowel , "O", is the exclamation usually started by drivers after a Viper blows their doors off. An example , here, would be, " Oh, shoot, I just got rattled by a GTS!"

Hence the common assumption would be that the Lambo driver understood he was running a Lardo against a TorqueAsp, and he just lifted his foot , early during his " O, Shoot," reflex.

Enjoy your Snakeness!

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JGK95 and Bill, thank you both !! I will try not to let it go to my head!!! :)

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey you have mods!!! I sent you that shifter knob!!!!LOL

OMG!! That is explains it!!! :laugh:
It sure made the car complete,
I owe you dude!!
Thanks again.