NHRA rules on rollbars

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard some conflicting info over the last few days concerning NHRA rules on rollbars. I'll be running in the 11's if I use my slicks this Saturday at Pomona. Purner told me that there was some official ruling at Pomona that a GTS is OK without a rollbar unless it breaks into the 10's, which I won't.

On the other hand, I'm told that NHRA rules explicitly say that if you run in the 11's, you have to have a rollbar. So, what do you all know about this? I'd hate to show up at the last event ever at Pomona and then fail to pass tech inspection because I've got slicks and no rollbar. If I pass tech, I don't care if I only get 2 runs and then get booted. It's passing tech that I'm worried about, if I drive in on ET streets. (I don't think I can fit them in the car if I drive in on street tires.)

Thoughts or comments?

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you tech they will probably ask what you ETwill run. Reply "low 12's" You really don't know since you never ran that combo at Pomona. Maybe it will only go 12's HAHAHA.

Make your first runs hard for only about 1000 feet but work on your 60' times which is what you really need to perfect to be a drag racer. You may also need to play with tire pressure which is critical. 1-2 pounds can make a big difference.

Then go ahead and make a full pass or two till they boot you out. Usually they won't notice or say anything unless you get into low 11's or get out of shape. Keep it straight and clean. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Venom Lover, Take my snake it'll do an 8 minute 1/4 (hehehe). Not to put any pressure on you but I am toying with the notion of showing up as a spectator. Anybody else I know gonna be there? It will pretty much depend on the weather. I am taking my SUV so I might be able to shlep some wheels and a jack for you. We'll see.

Motorless Ron (SoCal Rebell)

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Venom Lover,

I got hassled at the track when I broke into the 11s in my ACR. I got sent back to Tech and he said go ahead and run but promise to let off at the end. They said I needed a roll bar and a fire jacket to run 11s.

Jeff

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,
Good point. All the tech guys need to know is I don't know what the car is going to run. And you're right, the main thing I need to work is 60' times. If they let in 500-600 cars, though, I may only get 3-4 runs, so I probably won't let off on more than the first run. Even letting off on the first run may be tough....But you're right, I probably should.

Jeff,
So what are you going to do? Get a rollbar? I just hate to do that, because then the car isn't a street car any more, in my opinion. I hate to go cutting the interior up.

Ron,
Oooooh, I'll be shaking in my boots if I know you're in the stands!!! J/K
Seriously, though, you should come. It'll be great fun. Sounds like your buddy Rob is considering going. There will be a lot of cool Vette guys out there, and out of 500 cars, we'll probably have 2-3 Vipers. I don't know how we'd work the logistics of you helping me get the slicks there, since you'd have to come down to Redondo, but I appreciate the offer!

Thanks for the advice, everybody. Hey, does this mean that everyone who runs in the 11's regularly, especially all you fast guys from Florida, all have rollbars????

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom Lover,
To answer your question you will need to consult the 2001 NHRA rulebook, which i just happen to have a copy of at my desk.

Any stock bodied vehicle(viper included)must have an approved ROLL BAR if running 11.00 to 11.99 e.t.

Any car running 10.00 to 10.99 or over 135 mph must have an approved ROLL CAGE. The exception here is that a car with unaltered floor, firewall, and rearward fenderwells can run as fast as 10.00 with a ROLL BAR.

An NHRA approved roll bar with comprise of the following:

All roll bars must be within 6" of the rear, or side of the drivers head, extend in height at least 3" above the drivers helment with driver in normal driving postion, and be at least as wide as the drivers shoulders or within 1" of the drivers door. Rollbar must be adaquately suppported and cross braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Bar must have rear braces and a sidebar. The sidebar must pass along a line between the drivers shoulder and elbow when in the drivers seat.

Roll bar construction is of 1.75" O.D. x 118" mild steel or .083" 4130 Chrome Molly tubing.

There is a few more points but it gets even more boring!

I don't have a roll bar in my car as of yet. I like the one that Hennessey has, although it does not have the sidebar. I have attended races where as long as they saw some tubes in the car you got the nod. Ive been to others that had to check wall thickness! And of course i attend races all the time that don't care if you have one at all!?

Personally, When i do install one, if i ever do, it will be done RIGHT. Sidebar included!(the sidebar can be removeable or swing-out design so long as it is in place at the event.)

i hope this helps

tom

"keep the lipstick off the dipstick"

Scott M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me here. What I don't understand is that stock cars are getting very close to being true 11 sec. cars. Currently, their are a few out there that can hit high 11's with great track conditions. But at some point you are not only going to have Porsche's and Viper in the 11's, but the Corvette's and others will soon follow.

At what point will the NHRA change their rules to accomodate those cars that can do 11's right out of the box?

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hull, Ma. summer /Delray Beach Fl. winter
I just received my 2001 NHRA rule book and the roll bar section has not changed. 10.99 to 10. or 135 requires a 6 (six) point roll cage. 11.99 to 11.00 requires 4 (four) point.The forward bar may be swing out or take out for normal driving, you need NHRA cert on roll bar. (they will test dia. and tube wall. I personally don't want to destroy a 2001 car with a roll cage I think I will run 1/8th mile on 1/4 track or as Tom said 1,000 ft. and coast BETTER watch the coast might take enogh off et.
You must be registered for see images

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roll Bars// Officially it is 11.99 But Most NHRA tracks realize the Viper in it's stock form is a very safe car and fully capable of these speeds. In fact, I have convinced several tech guys that Viper Coupes come with an integral roll bar. I showed them the rectangular roof brace in the body schematic.

For those who have access to an IHRA track, they don't require a bar until 11.50. They are much more accommodating to Viper needs. Norwalk for the Viper Nationals lets us go 11.00 without a bar and 10.00 with out a cage.

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Venom Lover,

I'm not going to get a roll bar. I think I will just get a fire jacket, since Houston Raceway made more of an issue about that then they did about the roll bar. I'll just take my chances and see what happens next time.

Jeff

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

I don't suppose there's any easy way for me to check out your rollbar setup from Los Angeles? Also, would I need to ship my car to you if I wanted to install your setup? Do you have to cut into interior trim?

I also would like to know the $$ for 4-point rollbar. You can e-mail me privately if you prefer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog