Nicest License Plate Frame?

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen the MGW license frame but am just not sure about it.

I have no frame now, not sure if stock came with one or not...?

Any suggestions and links are appreciated. This will probably be my only exterior mod so it better count haha.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW makes some great quality products. I have 2 of their license plate frames, a couple shift handles, and a Gen II glove box cover. What are you unsure about?

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW makes some great quality products. I have 2 of their license plate frames, a couple shift handles, and a Gen II glove box cover. What are you unsure about?

I love MGW stuff too, ordered a knob and cupholder bezel a few days ago. Was just seeing if there was anything else cool out there.

Really was hoping for something plain and classic vs the 2 viper references it has....we know its a viper!

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a liscenced product from dodge off ebay, its a chrome frame with etched VIper in red. Pretty cool looking.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a liscenced product from dodge off ebay, its a chrome frame with etched VIper in red. Pretty cool looking.

do Gen IIIs have 4 screws for the license though? The ones on ebay seemed to mostly have 2

How many does yours have?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally use a black Ital license plate frame - fairly heavy for what it is, but I think it looks nice, and it uses/hides all four mounting screws. I just wanted something plain...nothing that had a Viper logo or wording on it.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally use a black Ital license plate frame - fairly heavy for what it is, but I think it looks nice, and it uses/hides all four mounting screws. I just wanted something plain...nothing that had a Viper logo or wording on it.

We are on the same page...could you please post a picture?

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MGW is the nicest I have seen, very well made

+1. The MGW frame and the optional mounting hardware are just plain nice!

You must be registered for see images

Btw, I'm sure you already know that most aftermarket frames won't fit on these cars due to the limited vertical space - just something to bear in mind...

Bryan

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do Gen IIIs have 4 screws for the license though? The ones on ebay seemed to mostly have 2

How many does yours have?
Yes the car has 4 the plate has 2 and covers the bottom 2, still fine tho.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one custom made from billet because I don't like logos or screw holes. I made a custom mounting plate and had 2 threaded studs welded to that. It bolts in place of the rear mounting points for the fascia. It just bolts from behind on the inside of the car just like the factory bolts that holds everything together. It added a little bit of weight but I really don't care. The end result was well worth it to be different and clean. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Very nice. You should sell 'em... :)

Thanks! There is just way to much involved for it to be something I would want to sell. Most people wouldn't want to pay that much just for a license plate frame that would require removing the inside carpet just to install it.

Good thing about it though, I'll be the only one that has it! :D

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Btw, I'm sure you already know that most aftermarket frames won't fit on these cars due to the limited vertical space - just something to bear in mind...

Bryan
This is an important point when you're considering a frame. You really don't want a "frame" but rather a "cover". There's VERY little room above and below the plate for the typical height/width of a frame. The MGW (which is superb) and likely some others, essentially cover the plate and most of their frame is over the plate as opposed to surrounding the plates perimeter.

Just saying....

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an important point when you're considering a frame. You really don't want a "frame" but rather a "cover". There's VERY little room above and below the plate for the typical height/width of a frame. The MGW (which is superb) and likely some others, essentially cover the plate and most of their frame is over the plate as opposed to surrounding the plates perimeter.

Just saying....

I have the MGW frame and agree with what Citysnake states above.

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an MGW plate frame just like this black one. I took it off because some cops will give you a hard time about it because it covers up part of the state name on the plate.

Bryan

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't draw their ire due to the added "indentation" between the "8" and the "3"? :D

I ask only because some time ago one of my clubmates snuck a letter "I" between the C and T of my CTYSNAKE license plate (we're only allowed 8 letters). Got pulled over and had to listen to a LEO's dissertation on defacing public property. Wonderful clubmates! :rolleyes: :)

Last edited:

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I also had an MGW frame and had to take it off because the officer that sits outside our neighborhood each morning said it obstructed too much of my plate. I ended up with this simple black frame made by Cruiser. I am also using Cruiser security screws instead of the ones MGW supplies.

Last edited:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:
I'm using a plain glossy carbon fiber frame, but had to trim it a bit on a sander to fit the small vertical space. The plate area on a Gen 3 is hardly any bigger than the plate itself!
Also added some double sided foam tape behind the lower bar to keep it from vibrating against the plate at speed (no lower screws on this design).

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what he said. The vertical space is tight so I went to auto store and tried all the higher coverage black frames until I found the one that covers most of tag and looked good. Same on front as MD insists on two tags. Using the snap on front mount (from parts rack I think). Removes in seconds for show, etc. don't try leaving front tag in the trunk in MD... it only took a few months before a local noticed and made me re-attach it :(

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one custom made from billet because I don't like logos or screw holes. I made a custom mounting plate and had 2 threaded studs welded to that. It bolts in place of the rear mounting points for the fascia. It just bolts from behind on the inside of the car just like the factory bolts that holds everything together. It added a little bit of weight but I really don't care. The end result was well worth it to be different and clean. :)

Wow that is as clean as it gets! You even painted the keyhole to hide!

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice Viperman! Is that a keyhole cover for the trunk? Where can I get something like that?

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the OP's question has been answered... Jance's is definitely the nicest license plate frame!

I just have one from my alma mater Notre Dame

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice Viperman! Is that a keyhole cover for the trunk? Where can I get something like that?

I live in Sarasota area, I went up to Land -o Lakes Fl. to the TheViperstore.com. Near you, Take alook at there web site..Call Chris. I had bought the plate and went up to have other Stainless steal products in stalled. They all come off back to stock if need be.. They give you a plank key to fit in the key slot, it has velcro on both sides. Velcro under the plate to holds it on, and under the key, It really looks sharp!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R