?Nitrous Good or Bad?

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you have nitrous in your vehicle and has it been a good thing or a painful experience. I am looking to increase the horsepower in my 1995 genI venom 550 car and do not have many options for significant increases besides the nitrous. How often does the nitrous in these cars cause problems that otherwise would not have occurred. Should I be happy with the horsepower I have and leave a good thing alone. The car has 4500 miles of it. I am considering Hennessey's nitrous at $3500.00. He stated that the nitrous automatically is released when the rpm'***** a certain number, or if the pedal is completely open. Other suggestions, or nitrous supplier's? Also how often would you typically go through a nitrous cannister and how much do they cost? Thank you in advance for your input.

Thanks Again,

John

Reaction score
ADVICE-
Look around. I have had bad experiences with the NOS dry system. Car a/f mixture should run safer with the NX wet system.
You can find both systems for under $1000 w/ most of the bells and whistles. The rpm window switch you refer to I helped MSD create for the Viper. Should be able to pick this up for under $100.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wayne Skiles would also be a good one to talk with. He has over 60,000 miles on his Nitrous Viper and goes through a bottle a week working over the LA onramps. Wayne is at:

[email protected]

Reaction score
I suggest you post in the section on upgrades and tuners. I've heard all kinds of good and bad things. I actually had a nitrous explosion, but it was caused by too many wiring guys trying to clean up 6 years of add on's (I know it wasn't intentional) + a leaking bottle.

The bottom line is there are several tuners who can install great horse power for economical prices using N2O. However, once you've done your homework and choose a tuner, don't let others (especially detailers or wiring guys who don't know the system) mess with it!

I always suggest TNT, because I know Roy and he's who I do business with. I think HMS (John), Tom Welch at BTR Viper and Doug Levin know their stuff. That's just the beginning of the people you should talk to before you make up your mind.

Here is a link to one of the nitrous string of posts: http://64.70.135.137/ViperUBB/Forum2/HTML/000002.html

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, nitrous properly installed by a repuateble tuner is not going to be a problem.Complete Nitrous express "GEN-X"
system installed with RPM window switches
should run you no more than $1700.I have
67,000 miles on my GTS..no motor problems.
I put this system on 40,000 miles ago(?)
685 rwhp on juice 817 ft/lbs torque.511
on motor. Go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having my BTR Nitrous kit installed this week. I had all the same fears you have and after evaluating a lot I am going to do it. Jeff's explosion is the only "documented" problem I could find and seems to have been caused by a leaky bottle. I am interested in finding cures for this like some kind of pre-start blower than can clean out any leakage issue (kinda like a boat before starting it). But it seems rare at best that a problem occurs and frankly it is the least expensive way to make a huge increase in power. Besides, that Cobra beside you on the strip doesn't see the Nitrous addition and until he asks, he wonders why you beat him by a couple seconds in the 1/4! To me, HP is HP, if I could sneak into Cape Canaveral and syphon some fuel out of the Space Shuttle, I'd probably try to find a way to run on that!

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

I've been using BTR Viper Nitrous system for a couple of months, did all installations myself, including headers, works perfect! I would absolutely recomend a Nitrous system on your car, It's up to you to decide, but if you want more then 80-100Hp you need to ad more fuel, and then is the Propane/Nitrous system that BTR Viper offers a great deal. Check the BTR site (btrviper.com), Tom has proven that he knows what he's doing, it will work great on your car.

95 RT/10
/JP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32