NO HELP from Team Viper?

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I buy an 01 to race in SCCA T1 and it is ACTUALLY SLOWER THAN MY 96 GTS!!!....and it's an ACR too!!! What's wrong here?..I guess I should be happy with the ABS though huh.

When I spoke to a very nice guy (also an SCCA racer but a winning one...unlike me) with a lot of say as to what goes on with the Viper he was cordial in explaining there are "differences with the cam" that makes the newer cars under powered. He finished our brief conversation by handing me his card and said call me next week after the Runoffs.

I have called him 4 times and emailed 3 times since. No response. I ain't Bobby Archer but a reply would be nice.

Now the Vettes are moving up in the world with the 02 Zo6. Even T1 champ Tom Lyons bailed on the Viper and went with a very well prepared Vette.

I 've made some friends with the bowtie boys and what impresses me the most is the commitment from the folks at Chevy to helping the T1 program..the best example is custom programmed ecus and suspension components. It seems all we can get from Mopar is some stinkin restrictor plates and a reprogrammed ecu that many say actually robs the car of power.

At least 3 people came up to us after a recent race and are amazed that we didn't smoke the Vettes. Spectators EXPECT DOMINANCE BY THE VIPER!!! I tell em it's 70% me but the newer cars are underpowered and we are further penalized by the restrictor plates.

Vipers seem to be dwindling in T1 and maybe it will just become the Corvette Challenge.

Do I have to do what the top dogs do in T1 and spend 8-10k on balancing and blueprinting (because I can't afford it) or could Team Viper help with some tricks (legal of course) that would help thier cars and image on a grass roots level of amateur club racing?

Meanwhile I'll send myself to Bondurant and try to fix the 70%.

david sklover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are trying to be competitive at the national level in T1, then it's 90% driver and 10% car. however, all those cars are blueprinted/balanced/etc. there is no "factory trick" that will give you a legal edge. the series is supposed to be a drivers competition, so the cars are theoretically equalized, which is why the lap times of the top cars are all real close and x doesn't dominate y.

here's a thread you might find interesting on the subject of Z06 vs Viper in T1 http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/000255.html

vroom vrooom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc