Noise/Bump When Wheel Is Turned All The Way?

RMcGuinness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When backing out/pulling in there is a noise only when I have the wheel turned all the way. Anyone else experience, I am assuming this is normal but wanted to verify.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its on a srt mine does the same thing ever since ive owned the car. When turning in a tight area such as my driveway its seems like the front tires are to wide to roll when turned really tight so I think they kinda just skid a little here and there making the bump noise. I always found it normal. I could be completly wrong though. When i put really wide tires on the mustang the front did the same thing. Car drives and rides very smoothly so i ever thought it was a problem. Hope his helps

MR_SRL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exact same thing, was planning on taking it in for that. 04' vert

Reaction score
Normal occurrence from the Ackerman in the front end. The inside wheel is turning sharper that the out side and the tire will grip and slip creating a popping jerking feeling through the steering wheel. This is a side affect of wide grippy tires and sharp steering angle.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same thing on my Viper and Audi TT. Odd feeling. I didn't pay much attention before but after the BBK install it made me paranoid. All tight!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The year matters: Gen 3-4 WORST. The stickier / fatter the tires, the worse it is, car can shudder!

Last edited:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, mine is a Gen 2, same sound. Only when backing out of the driveway wheel cut all the way to the right (same way I back out every time) both cars do it. Low Mileages PS2's on the Viper, not sure for the Audi.

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal occurrence from the Ackerman in the front end. The inside wheel is turning sharper that the out side and the tire will grip and slip creating a popping jerking feeling through the steering wheel. This is a side affect of wide grippy tires and sharp steering angle.

I've been wondering what this was.It only happens at full lock.I put it on a lift and found nothing wrong.Thanks for the explanation Mark.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as Mark and Jon mentioned.. here's a little CAD video I made to show how your front tires encounter different turning circles during steering rack travel towards full lock, you can see how the turning circle centers are no longer concentric, in other words.. each tire is fighting to drive a different turning radius basically..

Link to CAD video

Regards,
Mike