Noise that I am unsure about - need help diagnosing

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2009 coupe. I now have about 2000 miles on it. I love the car. I find myself staring at it in the garage, driving it almost daily when I have another unbelievable daily driver (if you call it that) a BMW M6 which also has a V10 and is very quick. When I get the chance I grab the keys to the Viper more times than I grab the M6 keys.

I have owned two previous Vipers. A 2005 vert and a 2006 coupe. By far this is my favorite for so many reasons, most notably it is new and I got to break her in with 5 miles on her when I took delivery.

There hasn't been any problems with the car since I took delivery of it from Ringgold. As I said it has been a pleasure. But one small annoyance is that I hear a noise coming from the front right of the car when I turn to the right at slower speeds. It is not the typical noise you get when turning it to full lock, instead at 3/4 turn or so I get what sounds like a power steering noise/vibration/rubbing sound.

I took off my tire twice and looked inside the wheel well and lubricated any bushings I could find with WD-40. That didn't help as I hoped it would. I looked at the inside of the fender liner and I don't detect any rubbing anywhere. I checked the power steering fluid and its full. I opened the power steering reservoir and to ensure there isn't air trapped inside and that didn't work.

It is only when I turn right, not left. I have had the noise since I took delivery of the car and I know it must be something simple that I am just overlooking.

I really don't want to bring the car into a dealer at this point unless I really have to because of a lot of the horror stories I have read on here. It has to be something fairly simple like something is loose or rubbing somewhere but I just feel completely ******** I can't find it.

B.T.W - I recently installed new speakers, eliminated the stock subwoofer, and installed a powered subwoofer and Hushmat-ed the entire car and it is fantastic. I will post pictures when I get a chance in the next few days to share with all.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the brakes? Are the pads both installed correctly?? Does the rotor look good/smooth on both sides?? I've seen pads installed backwards, causing a metallic grinding sound... and ruining rotors...

my .02

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the brakes? Are the pads both installed correctly?? Does the rotor look good/smooth on both sides?? I've seen pads installed backwards, causing a metallic grinding sound... and ruining rotors...

my .02

Rotors look fine. Brakes stop great too. No grinding with brake pads.

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my vette. It drove me nuts for about a year. It turned out to be my front passenger tire rubbing on a loose fenderwell screw at 3/4 turn of the steering wheel.
I tightened up the screw and no noises ever since.
It's worth a look anyway.

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my vette. It drove me nuts for about a year. It turned out to be my front passenger tire rubbing on a loose fenderwell screw at 3/4 turn of the steering wheel.
I tightened up the screw and no noises ever since.
It's worth a look anyway.

When I pulled the wheel/tire there were no screws sticking out of the inner fender which would have been an easy diagnosis. I wish it was that easy though.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would lean toward something rubbing for sure. I dont have much experience with the SRT set up. I'd let it go for a lil while and then if it persists and you cannot find any evidence on the tires showing rubbing, take her in to be looked at.

You can always get an exhaust and you'll never hear it.

:usa:

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funtime - I've got the exact same situation!!! 09 coupe 2k miles and it did it with 48 miles the day I pulled it off the trailer. I figured it was a tire rubbing as well... I've come to the conclusion that it's "wheel hop" due to the stickyness of the tires or that it isn't warmed up? I noticed it more when I was just leaving my driveway but not once the car/tires were warmer... if you ever figure it out please let me know!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the same exact problem------leave the car alone till mopar fugures it out,they will wrench and trial and error till your car is a butched new junker!its the p/s noise that is not hurting nothing--

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Call Dan at DC Performance or Todd at AC Performance. One of them may have come across this issue, diagnosed it and repaired it.

Dan

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spoken with DC about it prior to the thread post and here is what he said.........."In regard to your steering noise. It is funny, I have a couple customers who have noticed this. Check your power steering fluid level. If it is a little low it can cause this, but it could also just be the personality of the car."

It only does it at slow speed when turning right. Doesn't matter if hot or cold. Definitely not wheel hop because its in the front and at low speed. It's a rubbing/slight grinding noise. Must be a power steering issue and I need to get under the car or get it on a lift to see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery