Noisy 1.7 T&D rockers

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had my T&D roller rockers installed and picked it up today. I replace the push rods with molly type. The baffles on the valve covers were machined for clearance with the higher ratio rockers. But is it me? Or are these T&D units very noisy? A lot of ticking under the hood. Maybe because I used Mobil One 5 instead of 10 w 30. When I start the car cold it almost sounds like a lifter but after about 5 seconds it stops but you can still here a lot of noise. Can anybody confirm if this is normal with these rockers? John? What do you guys think? Thanks?

Reaction score
I have the 1.7 T&D rockers on my car and have the same results. The guys at SVS state that the rockers can be adjusted to quiet them down somewhat, but only to a certain degree. They adjusted mine and were able to quiet them somewhat. However, I still do have the same sound that you are talking about.

John
McHenry, IL

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph, did you ask Gary to see if his make the same noise as you describe? Might just be the nature of the beast, so to speak. Other than the noise, how is it running?

OP
OP
F

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank's for the info John. Other than the noisy rockers, the car pulls strong all the way to 5,800 which in the past it didn't do. I got a few more mods I want to do. I should be getting in to the 11s when I'm done. I think your right the rockers are just noisy by nature. I love the lumpy exhaust.Idle like a NASCAR stock car. I think it's cool, my wife says it's obnoxiously load. I think the car got a little loader due to the valves opening up wider. I'm loving it.

OP
OP
F

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck, Gary came by the homestead yesterday. I listened to his T&D setup on his car. We concluded they sound the same. So I guess this is the nature of the animal. By the way hows you plenum gasket replacement doing? (Wink, wink) I'm about to work on mine next week. LOL!

OP
OP
F

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was getting a little flabby.

By the way Dave, pay no mind to my reference on one of my previous post to your web site. Was done only to try to get you going. But I realized after the fact that it was done in bad taste. Even I have a conscience.

As far as the drag race Sept. 1 at Byron. No Union Grove for me. To much traffic heading up there. When I said you were making excuses I meant when you posted that one week you would be on call. Not the weeks you would be racing at "IL.VCA events."

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generic noisy valve train question...

Does it cause any long term damage, i.e increased valve seat wear, reduced valve durability, etc?

Thanks

OP
OP
F

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, You can't here the noise inside. Only outside at start up and a little when the engine is under load or accelerateing from a stop light. It is most noticeble during cold starts when the car has been sitting overnight. By the way on another note I have to transport my car to Michigan for some work. It has to be there by the 20th of this month. But all the transport companys have most of there fleets in California for the Pebble beach show. So nobody can get my car out to Michigan by that date. Anybody knows of somebody that can take my car there by that date safely or has access to a trailer that can help me out? I know it's a big favor and understand if nobody can offer me a hand. I appreciate it the same anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc