Noisy Lifters ??

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While running my 2001 GTS (1500 mi) at lapping days at Buttonwillow, the car developed a noise that sounded as if it had solid lifters. It had plenty of oil and oil pressure. The noise went away on the drive home. Whaz Happening?? Is this normal??

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NOT normal.
The very first thing I would do is carefully drop the pan.

Look for the "goop" that has plagued a handful of '01 cars.
There was also a TSB on low-oil pressure in first 500 miles, and to check for a drain/pickup restriction in the pan.

I am concerned about your noise....

Is there any chance it was "detonation - pinging"....also bad, but I suspect not, by your description

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a perhaps similar problem on my V8 sprint/hillclimb car. High cornering force would allow oil to be thrown up the block sidewalls where it got generally whipped and aerated allowing air to be pumped into the hydraulic lifters and causing major lifter noise. Never showed an oil light and I was too busy to notice the gauge. Don't know whether vipers are prone to this but I solved my problem with baffled winged sump and a change the following year to solid lifters. The noise went away after the motor sat for a few moments and was restarted, presumably the air in oil dissapated. Hillclimbs here last about a minute and a half and no damage was done to the bearings!

OP
OP
N

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt if it was detonation as I was running a mix of pump and race gas(100 octane unleaded). Didn't notice the noise until I got off the track at low rpms.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joel:
I had a perhaps similar problem on my V8 sprint/hillclimb car. High cornering force would allow oil to be thrown up the block sidewalls where it got generally whipped and aerated allowing air to be pumped into the hydraulic lifters and causing major lifter noise........The noise went away after the motor sat for a few moments and was restarted, presumably the air in oil dissapated........ Hillclimbs here last about a minute and a half and no damage was done to the bearings! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear that oil starvation crosses the Pond and brand names. While the 2001 has a higher capacity pan, it could definitely benefit from two upgrades: A) Trap-door oil pan baffles to help avoid the problem; B) An ACR-Oil Filter Adapter to maintain full-fflow oil cooling at all times, improving oil pressure especially at idle.

BOTH fixes for "IRS-SPECIAL" $600

Joel......you call that a HILL ?!?!?

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joel......you call that a HILL ?!?!?
I know, its just not fair
smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads