NOS experts, opinions please

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not an expert but I have been looking into a system. I have decied on a dry port setup. I will increasing injector size to 50# and increased the pump size. Then a Vec2 will control nos/Fuel injection by rpm. Vec 2 will turn on the nos and increase fuel by adding time to the feul injectors. The vec2 will then turn everything off at a fixed rpm.

With increased fuel supply it should work very well

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RedRT10:

Why - it seems like a lot of trouble/cost for no gain over solenoids and a wet system fed off the oem schraeder valve - neat idea though.

jason427

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im going this route. I should be done by this weekend. I figured I would give it a try. Denny at Racetested has been great to deal with.
Jason
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
I am planning on using this setup after the SC has been installed. It should be good for about 100/125hp on top of the SC HP. I thing V10MOJO is planning to install a SC later. It would just be one step closer for him. That is why i suggested it.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you want this company instead of proven american stuff. One thing I saw were....plastic/rubber lines instead of braided. Look at the pic of the bottle in the Jag. If the n02 kit designers came up with that cobbled up crap...ouch. Heck, they even used press/particle board for the compartment door.

jason427

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the n02 kit designers came up with that cobbled up crap...ouch. Heck, they even used press/particle board for the compartment door.

The compartment door has nothing to do with Highpower Nitrous (the company that makes these solenoids). Do you think they supply compartment doors with their kits?

This particular distributor is just trying to show some of his product out there being used, since it is new to the states.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the n02 kit designers came up with that cobbled up crap...ouch. Heck, they even used press/particle board for the compartment door.

The compartment door has nothing to do with Highpower Nitrous (the company that makes these solenoids). Do you think they supply compartment doors with their kits?

This particular distributor is just trying to show some of his product out there being used, since it is new to the states.

I said IF, IF that company did that........would I want their engineering on my car ? No way.

I like the way they say their solenoids are better......no bore wear.......no melt downs....funny. The weak link in a solenoid is the seal. Can be rubber or the better teflon seal. I have never seen any problem with a NX or NOS solenoid except the (rubber) seal going bad, and that was after years of non-use. Scare tactics.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would really pay attention to what Tony is saying. He is right on the money.
I am not a dealer in anything, and I agree with him. (which is unusual) :p

Regards,

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost used their solenoids. I talked to the guy in England that owns Highpower. He seems to really know his stuff.

jason427

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not doubting Tony's expertise.

I just hate seeing a new product get slammed just because it is different.

Id rather see someone slam it after having a problem with it, instead of speculation. Constructive slamming :D

Peace...

Jason

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is wrong with you Martin :laugh: Maybe you need to go to the doctor :)

Jason, try not to take me as slamming this product.....it will probably work fine. I just like seeing the pro mod guys and professional racers test this kind of stuff...not me. About me being an NOS dealer.....I have never sold anything to a VCA member. Nos doesn't do much as far as Viper kits unless you only want 100hp. In fact, on the lower end kits, Summit sells at my dealer cost. Parts, accessories and high end kits we can price better than Summit.

edit: p.s. I would like to see a braided line fron the bottle to the solinoid. That one looked rubber or plastic....maybe it's not.

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Denny the U.S. distributor for Highpower and owner of Racetested. I will answer all questions and will start with the ones asked.

Here is Trev's(owner of Highpower)comments on the nylon line
1) If you snag a strand of the outer braid of SS pipe (which is VERY EASY), the pipe becomes VERY WEAK.
The inner ptfe sleeve is FAR WEAKER than my nylon pipe.
You are MORE likely to snag the outer braid whilst fitting than damage my nylon pipe in a "similar" way.
2) braided can handle more pressure
a) yes it can BUT why do you want to handle more. I've NEVER seen Nitrous above 1,100psi in the UK, so what's the point of using pipe than can handle 6,000 psi
3) the outer braid "conducts" heat and "holds" heat around the inner weak ptfe pipe. A braided pipe will be more likely to burst due to heat because people think, that because the outer case is stainless it makes it indestructible
4) because they think it's indestructible, people also route the braided pipe near hot engine parts (which vaporises the liquid to gas) and can result in NO extra performance
5) the fittings at the ends of the braided pipe may not have a much bigger bore than the bore of my pipe, but that's the core of the problem. The pipe itself is MUCH bigger and as the liquid passes through the fittings it expands and dilutes as it passes into the large bore pipe. NONE of this applies to my pipe as the fittings are external to the pipe.
6) the MUCH larger bore of the braided pipe acts as a reservoir for the initial gaseous (NOT LIQUID) build-up. This results in a DRAMATIC loss in performance if it is not PURGED (WASTED) from the pipe prior to EVERY use. The VERY small bore of my pipe means there is MINIMAL gas build-up so a PURGE (WASTE) solenoid is NOT NEEDED.
7) In US kits the braided pipe comes in a fixed length and you have to coil up the surplus, which results in an unnecessarily LARGER waste of gas. My pipe can be cut to the MINIMUM length required ONLY.
The braided pipe is too bulky to run inside the car so it is usually run underneath the car (where it's VERY HOT).
This vaporises the liquid even more, producing MORE WASTE gas and poor power.
My pipe can be run with the wiring loom inside the car where it is relatively cool.
9) Because my pipe "looks" like it will melt, "sensible" people route it so it's well away from heat (exhausts), this means the pipe is cooler (avoiding vaporisation).
If the pipe burst (which is NOT dangerous), it means the route is wrong and needs more thought, thus preventing a power loss due to heat build up in the pipe.
10) at some point the pipe comes into contact with electrical components. The braided hose may rub through wires or insulation and cause a short circuit resulting in an electrical FIRE (seen this a couple of times). This is NOT even a low risk factor with my nylon pipe.
11) My pipe is FAR EASIER to run through the car.

Johnny Barb in Pro Mod uses our products and will be going after the world record this year. He will be happy to talk to any of you that have questions.

Our products are not new and Trev has been setting world records for years in the U.K.

Our seal material is far superior than NOS or the PTFE NX uses. Trev stopped using PTFE decades ago as it is inferior.

We supply a LIFETIME warranty on all products, along with a money back guarantee. We are this confident in our products. We also don't sell rebuild kits as our solenoids don't wear out.

Proven American products. It's no secret that the American kits have been the cause of many failed motors. We can count on one hand out of thousands of kits that have failed. For the die hard American customers. We will be having as much produced in America as possible once we find a CNC fabricator to meet our high standards for the right price.

Trev has met with NX and NOS. They both admitted to the better solenoids but said the higher cost was not worth it to them. NX's reply to their seat's picking crap up and leaking was to cut back the seat.

My truck is the Xterra in the gallery that will run 13's once the track opens. That is an AEM intake on there with a big American name. It fit's like someone made it in their back yard and will be coming off when I find a better alternative. My point is that people are used to the mass marketed brands that seem more professional and higher quality. We pride ourselves on product quality first and not having the best marketing. That will come when the inportant issues are addressed first. I think the Jaguar came out nice for a guy that is just a hobbiest doing his own installs and was looking for something extra. Not all customers care to spend thousands on custom work.

A new bottle(metallic charcoal gray) along with a standard billet handwheel are being made over the next few weeks.

For kits that require over 150 bhp we do supply a braided nitrous supply line as we don't have a nylon one to flow that much for now. We can also supply adapters to use braided line on the whole kit, but the drawbacks are listed above.

The old NX Maximiser with the square black box was made by Highpower with NX's name on it. NX wanted sole rights and Trev said to kiss his ass, so they went elsewhere. Our progressive has the most features and will be coming out with many upgrades this year with a simple chip ugrade.

Any other questions just ask away by phone, e-mail or replying here. I'm not here to argue but just supply facts. I'm to old to be lying and bickering. I'd rather stick to the truth.

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing. I'm not here to criticize anyone for using a competitors kit. If you feel that it works for you and you have good luck then that is fine. I'm offering something different and revolutionary compared to the competitors. I saw an interview with Jesse James of West Coast Choppers where he said that he doesn't care if he loses money on a bike, he has to have the best on it to be happy. I have the same outlook and these principles are what I found in Trev and Highpower products. Obviously none of us are losing money, especially Jesse, but you get the point. If I don't have the best quality products and best service, then I have nothing, and deserve to fail in the process.

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich,
Thanks for the support. We are new in town but have over 20 years of product development along with multiple world and European records to back us up. The other brands are available in Europe and across the world, so we have competition to having bragging rights over.

We will be releasing a few new products in the next few months and year that will add to our revolutionary technology. The other companies have profited off of dated technolgy long enough. They better get back to the drawing boards as we are a major threat. Any Highpower customer will realize this quickly.

Bolax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The old NX Maximiser with the square black box was made by Highpower with NX's name on it.

I spoke with Mike Woods of NX at the strip when this product was released because I was interested in nitrous for my 944 turbo. I asked him how in the world they came up with it and he said they didn't. He said an engineering firm in europe developed it for them and they were just selling it. Sounds legit to me.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1. WRONG WRONG WRONG
#2. ok
#3. In #2 he said it could hold 6000 psi. Pretty good burst pressure.
#4. When a ******* does run it to close to heat....and it will happen with either material....I would choose braided.
#5. So ?
#6. Some idiots only have nauuus so they can purge it :)
#7. Good point on the length but a few extra foot won't loose much horsepower. You can always get the correct length if it's a problem. It's not "VERY HOT" everywhere under a car, you just need common sense as to where to run it. (less common sense than it will take to run plastic) As to the last part about running through the car.....you think that is NHRA or IHRA legal ? Don't they require an external vent from the pop off ? Yes. Don't think they will be friendly when they find out you are running plastic supply lines through the [******] pit. EDIT: c o c k p i t = passenger compartment :rolleyes: VCA
#8. The U.K. must not have eights.
#9. Are you saying the pipe will not melt ? It only "looks" like it will ??? If you don't think a burst line in the cockpit is dangerous then you have never seen a popoff blow. I had one blow in a 8' x 10' room....couldn't see, couldn't breath. While the small line rupture would be better, hopefully not a complete break ....I still hope you don't recommend running it inside. (I will admit I don't run vents on popoffs but they don't run under my seat either)
#10. Possible. I try not to put my cigarette out in the fuel filler tube.
#11. Probably........as long as it doesn't get a kink in it.

Does Johnny Barb use plastic line for his fuel or the dreaded unsafe braided line ? :laugh:

For over 150hp you DO USE and supply braided.....kind of dangerous don't you think ?

Geesh....all that said, your system will probably work fine for a Viper. While I don't claim to be an expert, this post did ask for opinions so I gave mine.....it was short and sweet......then I kept getting deeper and deeper :) Correct me if anything I said was not true, I'm all ears. I do wish you well in your sales...believe it or not.

p.s. FYI, NOS IS starting to use some plastic lines after the solenoids where many are needed (8) and hard line is unusable or very hard to use.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange......

I have shipped (3) kits from Florida to the UK this month and have another one shipping Monday. These are our new NX kits that we have packaged through a dealer direct program with NX. We have them set up for dry or wet using Gasoline or propane in single or dual stage configurations. My website will be updated shortly.

Best of luck with your systems.

Tom

Bolax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Strange......

I have shipped (3) kits from Florida to the UK this month and have another one shipping Monday. These are our new NX kits that we have packaged through a dealer direct program with NX. We have them set up for dry or wet using Gasoline or propane in single or dual stage configurations. My website will be updated shortly.

Best of luck with your systems.

Tom

Tom,
As a nitrous dealer, what are your thoughts on the need for a "maximizer" type device? For the casual user (75-150HP) is it worth the extra $? I know NX has a new on now with lots of bells and whistles.

Thanks

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
I listed the facts about the nylon line and don't feel the need to go any deeper as I would just be repeating myself. As far as working in a nitorus filled room. Trev has logged thousands of hours in a nitrous filled room testing over the last 20+ years to be able to tell people what is best and what isn't. I doubt many if any amount of people can match this. We wouldn't use nylon if it wasn't the better option as braided stainless is very common and easy to follow like the other companies use.

Johnny Barb uses hard line. He runs 1500 hp worth of nitrous, so you can see he is a special case. Our arguments are for the average person looking for more power. Johnny himself has admitted to having to change his train of thought about nitrous, as what Trev has learned is far from what is known to be right in the past. Things are updated and changing constantly. Infortunately the nitrous industry looks at the microswitch as it's last big invention over the hold button. This is sad. Can anyone tell me anything drastic that NOS or NX has changed over the last few decades? I don't think the solenoid designs have changed much if any since they first came out 40-50 years ago.

Tom,
There is nothing strange about you shippping kits to the U.K. NOS has an old heritage and NX has put a lot into marketing so the products sell well. I never said we are going to please everyone and be the sole nitrous kit supplier. We just offer superior poducts and every customer will experience this first hand.

Bolax,
A progressive will benefit any car running over 25hp. Of course this is relative to the application. 25 hp on a Viper motor will be next to impossible to notice, but on a small 4 cylinder you will see a benefit. This is why we offer a money back guarantee on the progressive if it doesn't improve your times.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racetested:

What you have may work, however, look at the material properties of nylon (it is terrible with a breakdown temperature of 195 degrees F), there is no comparison to high quality braided construction. The Viper engine compartment typically runs much hotter than most cars. There are probably a 500-1000 vipers running very well with braided lines. I think what Tony is saying, he doesn't think it is the best interest of a viper owner to do R&D.

There was also another valid point made relative to running the tubing thru the car, no NHRA strip would allow this if it were known, that is almost as bad as running the fuel line thru the car.

I think you made a mistake in defending your weak points. I would be willing to change solenoids and or go with a progressive controller if you could make a good case. I personally do not like the concept of pulsing or chattering the solenoids from the controller, do you have a different approach to a controller. I would also like to see a comparison between your solenoids and the NOS/NX units. i would like to know how much hp they can flow, their amperage draw and how you approach the durability issues. Is there some type of white paper posted anywhere.

By the way as far as innovation, I believe the transducer driven bottle warmer, a bottle solenoid that works and the dual stage (single) nozzle are pretty good advances in the industry.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This set up is the best i've ran yet!The kit installed looks better than NX/NOS kits installed aestheticly!I ran NOS PRO solinoids to these tuned on the dyno and picked up 75tq.The Maximiser is is too cool.It does absolutely anything you want.This kit with the maximiser will allow you to run a 300 shot safely of the line with street tires or slicks and strores all programs.The quality of the solinoids is today's tech.
Temp or bottle pressure isn't going to stop these soliniods from opening as opposed to other brands,with has destroyed 1000's of race car motors for over 20yrs.
As a matter of fact this manufacturer stands behind their product with a guarantee,run that by competitors.
I've you check my library of posts there's a video of this kit in action giving me the 580rw 735tq.That's with the medium shot jets.Still trying to get back to the dyno for the 300shot.
IMO Viper brothers

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thnx scotty, im not experienced with nos but i know you are and if you are using this product and stand behind it; good enough for me. ill be in touch with you

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scotty and Jason thanks for the support and hope both of you are doing well. Scotty, I will give you a call as I have a seat height adjustment to make on your solenoids. You are set to only flowing 150 bhp worth of nitrous and look how impressive your results are.

Crocket I hope you got your car sorted out finally with NX and are happy.

Jack,
We don't have any weak points, so I'm not sure what you mean by defending something that doesn't exist? Your comment about the track rules not allowing nylon for competition is correct and this is why we do supply a braided supply line for these applications. The rules are not based on fact though, but people that don't know instead. Nitrous is not flammable so it's not like running a fuel line through the car. A dentist that is at the top of his field also confirmed that nitrous will not have an effect on the body if expelled, as a car is not a sealed object and the nitrous will just be diluted by atmospheric air. Also nitrous is heavier than air so it will fall towards the floor boards when released. Our Nylon supply line is also specially made for our nitrous use and not available by anyone else or a standard line. Our main issue on the braided line is that you lose performance by the exaggerated sizes not needed and heat soak. I'm sure the previous Viper users are fine with it because they haven't used the nylon line to see a performance difference. Johnny Barb is visiting the U.K. this month to sort out some details and use the nylon line on his Pro Mod car this season for the engine compartment. Rules still make him use a braided supply line.

Our solenoids were designed to be pulsed and not fail like the competition, and that's why we offer a LIFETIME Warranty on all products. How much more proof do you want? The advantanges of the solenoids is listed on my website under the kit's more info section. We don't even use a relay as our solenoids work at a much lower amperage and don't need a relay. The Maximiser is the same way with no relay needed.

I don't expect people to believe what we have to offer initially as the mind is used to a pattern. Like I said earlier Johnny Barb himslef had to rearrange his whole way of thinking and even his other Pro Mod friends don't believe him. On his last run of the year Johnny's car accelerated in the 60 ft faster then it ever had, but his clutch gave out so he couldn't show the final outcome. His 60 ft was under a second. This is what NHRA guys run. He even uses the Maximiser.

I'll be happy to answer further questions and speculation.

racetested

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some more info as requested about our solenoids, that isn't on my site yet.

Our previous design had a straight through flow path, but there were a number of limiting factors that made Trev realise it wasn't the best design;
1) The bigger the inlet port the weaker the magnetic force.
2) The lower the magnetic force the bigger the slug and plunger have to be
3) The larger these parts are the bigger the whole solenoid has to be
4) Although it "appears" that the flow in such a design is "straight" it actually has to change direction more times than the current design, as it has to pass "through" the plunger to get to the outlet seat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine