NOS/propane : do I need high flow cats ?

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned in a previous post, I am about to start modding my car for performance. Basically, I want to add NOS/propane for the HP gains and change the exhaust (just for a better sound).

Some questions :

- Which one of the 2 projects needs to be started first ? NOS or Exhaust ?
- Re the exhaust : do I need high flow cats ? Claimed HP gain is supposed to be around 200 HP. Stock cats should be OK up till 500HP...
- Anybody any experience with moving their cars to another state ? I am currently considering a couple of offers and they are all out of state. Don't know what the prociedure is here in the US (I am European myself), but I guess I will have to pass DMV with the car. Any big changes to the exhaust could probably screw me over I fear. Maybe I'll just have to wait. All input welcome.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yves,
First off if you can get 200HP from just a CAT change than whatever you're having I want one too! When I changed my exhaust manifolds, CATS and Cat back I gained approximately 30HP give or take. I would definitely do the exhaust upgrade first then add N2O. You can do a search on all the N2O threads on this board I'm sure there's a lot of good info on here. I shy away from N2O simply because there's too much that could go wrong and I'm still not too comfortable with carrying a bomb in my trunk. I have a friend that blew out the front of his garage from a ruptured tank. But it is a great HP per dollar mod.

I can't help much on the changing states part but I know it's much simpler than in Europe. You just have to register at the secretary of state within a certain period of time.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said GTSnake

I shy away from N2O simply because there's too much that could go wrong and I'm still not too comfortable with carrying a bomb in my trunk. I have a friend that blew out the front of his garage from a ruptured tank.

The dumbest statement one can make about N20...You obviously have little understanding of a basic N20 safety components...funny...Hundreds of Viper owners run Nitrous with no ill effects, as well as thousands of street rodders...Tell the truth, you shy away from N20 because you really don't know anything about it???

Did you buddy skimp on his system and neglect to purchase a pop-off valve (small fitting that contains a "rupture disk"), or did he not purchase the $40 part out of ignorance? I run two on my system...Some people commit suicide by shooting themselves in the head...Doesn't mean I'm gonna get rid of my guns...

Lets start your education right here and now: Did you know that N20 by itself is not even flammable?

YVES...Punt the cats completely...If you must have cats for emission purposes, definitely get high flows...the stocker cats are a massive and ubber restriction in your exhaust system...Do your exhaust, then install the N20...

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yves,
First off if you can get 200HP from just a CAT change than whatever you're having I want one too! When I changed my exhaust manifolds, CATS and Cat back I gained approximately 30HP give or take. I would definitely do the exhaust upgrade first then add N2O. You can do a search on all the N2O threads on this board I'm sure there's a lot of good info on here. I shy away from N2O simply because there's too much that could go wrong and I'm still not too comfortable with carrying a bomb in my trunk. I have a friend that blew out the front of his garage from a ruptured tank. But it is a great HP per dollar mod.

I can't help much on the changing states part but I know it's much simpler than in Europe. You just have to register at the secretary of state within a certain period of time.

I think he meant 200hp from the nitrous, not the cats. Think about it. Maybe you SHOULD carry a bomb in your trunk.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he meant 200hp from the nitrous, not the cats. Think about it. Maybe you SHOULD carry a bomb in your trunk.
More like a JET engine :)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definitely do the exhaust first. More important than the HP gains from the exhaust is the MUCH cooler side sill temperatures from adding the high flow cats, and the exhaust sound is greatly improved from adding a cat-back exhaust.

I wouldn't yank the cats entirely because you likely wouldn't pass smog tests, but with the high flow cats it passed easily.

The nitrous tank explosion stories don't really have anything to do with any inherent danger with nitrous. They just show how stupid people can be. Any nitrous system that isn't installed by a ***** is safe. It's quite likely that there are more people who run over themselves backing out of the their driveway (yes, it happens) than explode nitrous tanks in their cars.

The only time that I had read about a nitrous tank exploding in a car was when some idiot mindlessly left his bottle heater on overnight.

Proper nitrous systems like the NX kit have an automatic pressure sensitive shutoff for the bottle heater, and a decent installation is going to have the whole N2O setup ignition switched only, so that there is no power when you turn the key off.

The exhaust/H-F cats have more benefits than just power, and are relatively cheap and easy to install.

Nitrous IS safe, but you want to do a little research before you put it in. The only real concern is having a proper air/fuel mix, and having proper safety equipment like a blow off valve and window switch.

-Dean.