Now THIS is a great article featuring the Viper!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had completely forgotten about this article until I wanted to quote it for somebody else. I remember when the article came out and I was waiting for my car to be built. Talk about turning up the heat a notch! Anyway, here you go (click to go):

<FONT size="5"> <u>Popular Mechanics</u>: Acceleration Nation </FONT s>

Pretty awesome! The driver obviously got it to launch pretty well and turned a great time for a bone stock (including factory air filters) RT/10. The "second gear" comment is a classic and should be in somebody's signature line. Enjoy!

Chris

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Chris:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The "second gear" comment is a classic and should be in somebody's signature line.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That second gear comment:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> We threw shifts at the 6000 rpm redline and enjoyed what has to be the world's most violent Second gear this side of an Indy Car. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How well I know that first shift. Was practicing my launches a few weeks ago, and spun twice when I hit second. Walked the tire marks and found a small oil patch right where she went sideways. Sum *****...

DWParsons1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although the article doesn't make it clear, the Corvette must've been a Z06 as Autoworld magazine did the same tests between a GTS and a Z06 - the Corvette posted a 12.7 @112mph. the GTS waxed his butt.

Dammit it's raining - just when I wanted to hear those tires screeching - all that talk about 2nd gear gave me a *****! (can we say "*****" and still get past the thought police?)

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the article tested a regular C-5. The price as tested is too low for a Z06 and I can't see the rear brake cooling ducts behind the front door.

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I believe that article might be last year's mag before the Z-O6 was available.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Car was a Hardtop LS1 345 Hp. The ZO6 is an LS6 engine with 385 hp and torque. This was a 99 Hardtop. Not a ZO6.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve 00RT/10, That looks like a great article but I can only get the first page and no results, unless the list of Musclecars is the ranking. I don't think so 'cause there are no times. Help!!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigsViper

You should be able to click on any of the cars listed and get the report on each. I bookmarked this site and the one that started this thread about a year ago. I don't think they expire.

Hope you can pull this up. Some of the numbers on the old cars will surprise you

Steve