OBD monitoring app?

John D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with apps that monitor the signal from an obd reader. I borrowed a bluetooth obd reader and installed an app called Torque Lite (seemed fitting) on my phone. It will display various readings/gauges like water temp, rpm, vehicle speed. It will also measure 0-60 times. the version I'm trying is the free version but the full version will also measure 1/4 mile times along with some more engine outputs. I'm trying to figure out how to have it display on my Pioneer radio in the car (2005). Has anyone used any other apps like this that will display on Android Auto?

70mopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't spent more than 1 minute (without success) trying to figure out how to get the timing dials or gauges to work, but they should. Everything else I tried did. My phone is on Apple IOS, so I am using wireless Carplay. Torque doesn't run on Apple. But my previous car radio is Android and it does run it (and can recognize the bluetooth OBD). My current Android radio runs the app but doesn't see the OBD and won't let me load drivers for it. While I don't have experience with Android Auto, my understanding is that while an app may run on Android, it may not work (pass data through) with Android Auto. I seriously doubt you'll get it to work on the Pioneer. UNLESS, that is, the Pioneer supports mirroring.

Attachments

• IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4661.JPG
    IMG_4661.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 7

cothrelo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just installed(finished today) a Pioneer 7600nex in my '17 ram.It currently reads some things by default by using the idatalink maestro. however I have a obdlinkmx that I also use with the torqe app and the obdlink app. They both are on android. That was something I was going to test as well to see if the pioneer will read direct from the obdlinmx module while using android auto. When I get the results I will post back. I am currently looking at upgrading my 05 with something I just havent decided how much coin I want to drop into it. I already have a 5 channel amp and a signal processor that I removed out of my truck. There are not too many 1.5 din radios so my choices are limited and I don't want to get into cutting the oem bezel for a double din.