OBDII...Which one to buy?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snake Bitten:
So for everyone's sake, which OBDII code scanner works best for our cars...GenI or GenII...?

In particular, which one do I need for my '00 RT?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Gen 1s were all(*) pre-OBDII. '96 and later vehicles are OBDII compliant.

(*) - Once again, the '96RT/10 maintains its lock on red-headed stepchild status. It sports a Gen1 motor and interior, with Gen2 (JTEC) engine management and suspension.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Equus Model 3100. Works well for basically reading the error codes and resetting them. I bought it to reset the O2 light that I kept getting which was eventually traced to a broken ground wire. $129 sounds like a good price, I paid $150 for mine at the local auto store.

If I had a laptop, I probably would have opted for one of the full featured units that allows you to also monitor all the actual data and not just the error codes. Perhaps check out Roe Racings unit.

Here's the link to the earlier discussion if you didn't see it: http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/010397.html

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the EQUUS unit. I think it was $129 delivered last winter. Works well for the purpose I bought it for.

Steve

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and it seems to be a widely debated topic, with no definitive answer...So for everyone's sake, which OBDII code scanner works best for our cars...GenI or GenII...?

In particular, which one do I need for my '00 RT?

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Went with the Equus Model 3100, and as BOOSTED SNAKE did, I called Summit Racing ($125.39, what a price, CHECKER wanted $295 locally)...Summit told me the unit was back ordered and they would be available around the first of August, however, they were able to drop ship it (overnight) from the manufacturer for a few extra bucks! I will use it for the rest of the summer. The list of winter mods is long and distinguished, so come spring I will pick up some Ease Diagnostic gear to use on the dyno, and ebay the EQU-3100...thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang