Oh my god the run-flats **** in cold weather

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all. A lot of people have bashed the run flats, and since I had not driven the car in really cold weather until today, I guess I thought they were exagerrating. When hot the tires get pretty sticky and do pretty well, even on the track.

But this morning, with 35 degree temps, they were horrible. It was like driving a completely different car, and not a good one at that.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep - I bought my car in the dead of winter last year and didn't wait for warm weather to began driving it around. When summer came around I actually thought my car had lost power since the tires weren't breaking loose all the time. The cold has now returned and so has my loose handling.

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely agree and live in PA where it has been getting colder each day. I would never put my car into hybernation for the winter and intend to driving it on nice days. Cold weather driving requires more attentiveness and tempo with the gas pedal and shifting until the tires warm up. Slower launches and careful acceleration during turning are key for the first 20 minutes or so. If one isn't attentive you will be quickly introduced to your "rear end", or telephone poll. Be careful out there folks and dream of warmer weather!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have found that most high performance tires do not perform well in the cold, and when cold. couple that with the huge amounts of torque the SRT puts out and it is quite understandable that until you get a little heat into the rubber they have poor grip. i dont think the same tire in non runflat would do much better

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience is that in 40 - 50 degree weather the tires never heat up and grip. Might as well be on ice for how well they grip.

But that will no longer matter after today as the forecast is for snow. That 4 letter word that sends 'em in the garage for hibernation.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well you have the choice of michlin non run flats or michlin cup tires. They are both much better than runflats. the cup tires are the softest compound.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats why you do a big smokey burnout in your driveway before you leave ;) j/k

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well you have the choice of michlin non run flats or michlin cup tires. They are both much better than runflats. the cup tires are the softest compound.

I did not think there were cup tires in 19". Are they now available?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what size wheels? What diameter and how wide. Do you have the exact part number of the wheel, not just HRE's model number which does not tell us the size.

Alos what size and spec tire did you use?