Oil Catch Can... Which one...?

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a 96' GTS with a Paxton on it and a 05' vert. That's mostly stock.
Looking to get a oil catch can for both of them. Looking to get something that is nice and a clean set up that works good.

Any advice on which one I should looking into getting and maybe some pics of them installed would be great.

Thanks!

Stahlhart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for that - maybe stupid - question but why do you guys with SC´s need a Oil Catch Can? What it is it good for?

Greetings from Germany

Jürgen

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for that - maybe stupid - question but why do you guys with SC´s need a Oil Catch Can? What it is it good for?

Greetings from Germany

Jürgen

Same reason as the road guys I think. They don't want the crankcase ventilation routing back into the intake. Road racers just get a lot more sloshing into the airbox.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Greetings from Germany

Jürgen

Pressurizing the incoming air causes a certain amount of 'blowby' or air-fuel mixture getting past the piston rings and pressurizing the crankcase. The increased pressure and the turbulent gasses in the crankcase rob power, so they need to be vented. The stock system routes the pressure back into the intake but with forced induction, the increase in oil vapor entering the intake effectively lowers the octane of the fuel and can lead to detonation. The catch can simply catches the oil coming out of the vent while it allows the pressure to escape.

Or something like that.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pressurizing the incoming air causes a certain amount of 'blowby' or air-fuel mixture getting past the piston rings and pressurizing the crankcase. The increased pressure and the turbulent gasses in the crankcase rob power, so they need to be vented. The stock system routes the pressure back into the intake but with forced induction, the increase in oil vapor entering the intake effectively lowers the octane of the fuel and can lead to detonation. The catch can simply catches the oil coming out of the vent while it allows the pressure to escape.

Or something like that.

:clap:..... :woot:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Bernie at Tomball Dodge as he can get you one quickly. He got mine really fast and they are hard to come by, at least the good ones.

OP
OP
D

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Bernie at Tomball Dodge as he can get you one quickly. He got mine really fast and they are hard to come by, at least the good ones.

how easy was it to install and how long did it take?
got any pics of it installed?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me throw another option out, the systems described in this thread all look nice and seemingly work well. A minor issue is the moderate complexity. For instance you have to remove the valve covers. Why not use the existing outlets on the front of both valve covers. Run them into a tee and take the outlet hose to a catch can that you can buy off the shelf from Summit. This may not look as nice, but, it will function the same, am I missing something. The pcv valve and the vacuum lines (front of intake) can also be capped off easily.

Again, the two depicted systems are both very nice, I am just trying to propose a quick alternate.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me throw another option out, the systems described in this thread all look nice and seemingly work well. A minor issue is the moderate complexity. For instance you have to remove the valve covers. Why not use the existing outlets on the front of both valve covers. Run them into a tee and take the outlet hose to a catch can that you can buy off the shelf from Summit. This may not look as nice, but, it will function the same, am I missing something.

That's what my set up is. Works great.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me throw another option out, the systems described in this thread all look nice and seemingly work well. A minor issue is the moderate complexity. For instance you have to remove the valve covers. Why not use the existing outlets on the front of both valve covers. Run them into a tee and take the outlet hose to a catch can that you can buy off the shelf from Summit. This may not look as nice, but, it will function the same, am I missing something. The pcv valve and the vacuum lines (front of intake) can also be capped off easily.

Again, the two depicted systems are both very nice, I am just trying to propose a quick alternate.

I connected the PCV and both valve cover ports together then into the catch can.
On a trackday it traps approx 200ml so is a must have bolt-on for those that drive with spirit.
Ade.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got some pics of ur set up?
i'd really like to not have to drill my valve covers if possible.

Here is what I could come up with in a dark garage with an iPhone. Sorry the labeling is sloppy. I was in a hurry.

All of the tubing and connectors are from the OE set-up that vents into the intake.

Driver side:
You must be registered for see images attach

Passenger side:

Another view of the passenger side:

JMB catch can as posted above. Hope that helps.

Gratuitous engine pic...... because I like it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the pics blacksnake99. love the look of ur roe super clean set up. I think i like the look of the roe more so than the paxton. the roe just seems to look more compete vs the paxton just looks like it was tossed on and kinda looks outta place.

thanks again!

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Derek,
This is a great write up for you on the gen 3 catch can. http://socalviper.com/forum/index.php?topic=1165.0
It's not difficult to instal. I used the AC can and bought some additional fittings and enlarged the hose a bit. If you come on the condor run with us you can see my catch can set up. There are some pics there on the thread to show why you might want a catch can if your doing track or autox stuff its a must.

OP
OP
D

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Derek,
This is a great write up for you on the gen 3 catch can. http://socalviper.com/forum/index.php?topic=1165.0
It's not difficult to instal. I used the AC can and bought some additional fittings and enlarged the hose a bit. If you come on the condor run with us you can see my catch can set up. There are some pics there on the thread to show why you might want a catch can if your doing track or autox stuff its a must.

thanks for the info. i did see that thread. that looks like something ill be doing on the 05' i won't be able to make it to the run as much as i'd love to my races were canceled last weekend and its now going to be held on the 9th i believe it is. same day as the run. next time i will have to check it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456