Oil change questions

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to take you out of the lime light, Darth, but I figured I would take this opportunity to get something answered that would seemingly be on topic. I did a head gasket job about 1,000 miles ago. Is it standard to change the oil earlier than normal since I had the heads off and the pistons exposed?

I would think it would be impossible to guarantee you did not get some antifreeze into the oil when you change the head gaskets. Changing the oil would be cheap insurance.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By no means am I a pro, but talking to the pros, I qill take it that you should change the oil any time there is risk of antifreeze getting in there. Theys why I am talking about changing it...my timing cover gasket went not long ago

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Oil Guy I refered to earlier, his user name is, Tom, F&L GoR. If you do a search for his post you'll find way more information on oils and filters then you'd ever imagine. Pretty much if you have a question about oil, he's most likely addresssed it some where on the forums.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to take you out of the lime light, Darth, but I figured I would take this opportunity to get something answered that would seemingly be on topic. I did a head gasket job about 1,000 miles ago. Is it standard to change the oil earlier than normal since I had the heads off and the pistons exposed?
if you have been driving around with the blown headgasket oil in it for the last 1k,,,its too late now

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some of the reports I've received from Black Stone. If anyone wants to see a full PDF format, just send me your e-mail.

300C SRT8
No serious problems were detected in this first sample from your SRT8's 6.1L Hemi engine.
Universal averages show what normal wear looks like for this particular Chrysler engine after about 4,600
miles on the oil. We're not sure how long your oil was in place, but given the low wear numbers, we'd
suspect it wasn't in place as long as average. Still, given the fact that metals are well balanced, we doubt
any serious problems are developing. No contamination was found (fuel, coolant, water, excess dirt), so
overall, this is a great start to your oil analysis trends.

Viper GTS:
Iron was the only metal on the high side compared to universal averages in this first report from
the 8.0L in your Viper. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 1,700
miles on the oil. We're not concerned with this level though since iron will track with time on the oil and this
oil was in use almost twice as long as average. The only thing keeping this from being a perfect report is the
mildly low viscosity, more like a 5W/30, but that didn't hurt anything. No fuel or coolant was found. Nice
engine at 10,700 miles.

This was the 1st oil change I did on the Viper in Spring 2010...I'm assuming the previous owner used 5w/30.

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been using M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel oil for about 3 years and it hasn't Seized up yet:). I change the oil every quarter cheap insurance.