Oil changing question.

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay well that time has come for the first oil change and I picked up a case of Amsoil and a Mobil 1 filter. I was originally going to change it myself but I really dont like the idea of jacking the car up. Well I called a couple of my local Dodge dealers and the first ones use wood ramps to get onto a lift, the 2nd one jacks up the back of the car then uses a lift. I am starting to think about going to a local oil place where they have the pits that u drive over so the car doesnt have to be lifted at all. What do all you Viper owners do? Thanks in advance

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bug my region president...he has a lift and I can drive my car right on to it. :D

Thanks John!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those "pits" typically have a lip to the trench, kind of like a car wash. better make sure before you try

XTREMDRM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said. the lip or safety curb may present a problem to get over.
Suggestion ; find a local garage that has a drive on lift. The oil change is easy once in the air. Any mechanic should be able to handle it.
Good Luck

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those "pits" typically have a lip to the trench, kind of like a car wash. better make sure before you try

+1....The Jiffy Lube we take our Navigator to has a metal "guard" around the pit that sticks up a couple of inches at least. Not that I'd ever take my Viper to JL, but I'd imagine most places have something similar as a "bump stop" to keep cars from 'falling' into the pit....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM5OZsUoiRU[/media]

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said. the lip or safety curb may present a problem to get over.
Suggestion ; find a local garage that has a drive on lift. The oil change is easy once in the air. Any mechanic should be able to handle it.
Good Luck

Ferrari of Washington has 'in ground' lifts that sit flush with the floor when all the way down....you can get anything on those lifts, they're awesome.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay well that time has come for the first oil change and I picked up a case of Amsoil and a Mobil 1 filter. I was originally going to change it myself but I really dont like the idea of jacking the car up. Well I called a couple of my local Dodge dealers and the first ones use wood ramps to get onto a lift, the 2nd one jacks up the back of the car then uses a lift. I am starting to think about going to a local oil place where they have the pits that u drive over so the car doesnt have to be lifted at all. What do all you Viper owners do? Thanks in advance

I used to go to a pit place with my stuff...I cleared the lip. They let me go in the pit with them. I let them do the dirty work....filter off...and then did the rest myself. They would charge me $10.

As rural as we are, they are multiple small garages around here that will lift a Viper with no hassle. For many years now, I bring my Amsoil and filter to them. I'm underneath the car the whole time. He too, only charges me $10.

Find a small shop mechanic you trust with such a lift and bring your stuff there. Being on a lift also allows much better access to inspect everything down there....plus you have no oil to dispose of.

Steve

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can do it yourself, very easy and rewarding

reconsider your filter for the next time - stock is best

i use one of these, 15 qts:

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Reminder....

Mobil1 oil filters may NOT be the best product for your Viper.

I'm sure there's many here with much more info on this that can chime in.

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! I have a guy right down the street from me that I trust so maybe Ill go that route. Hes just a small town mechanic with a lift. As far as the filter, I thought Mobil 1 were one of the best? Isn't a Mopar just a generic Wix? just like the K&N is the same and the mobil 1? http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/603529-best-oil-filter.html
did something change?

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can do it yourself, very easy and rewarding

reconsider your filter for the next time - stock is best

i use one of these, 15 qts:

You must be registered for see images

I perfer to change my oil but i really dont like the idea of jacking up the car. Ultra paranoid about doing that lol.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I built wood ramps totally 3 inches tall over 3 feet to get my original jack under my Viper without touching the front fascia. I have since purchased one of those aluminum low profile racing jacks from Harbor Freight tools and it works amazingly well with no ramps. I usually place a rubber mat on the jacking point so that I don't risk scuffing the paint under the car. The BIG oil catch can is a must as once you're under there and you're reaching the top of the standard catch cans there's not much you can do that won't make a mess.

My Viper is a joy to work on, I enjoy connecting with my car too; I recommend changing the oil yourself at least once.

Regards,
Aaron

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go. This thread has a lot of info on the Mopar Oil filter difference.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/629093-mopar-filter-difference.html
Thank you for all the replies! I have a guy right down the street from me that I trust so maybe Ill go that route. Hes just a small town mechanic with a lift. As far as the filter, I thought Mobil 1 were one of the best? Isn't a Mopar just a generic Wix? just like the K&N is the same and the mobil 1? http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/603529-best-oil-filter.html
did something change?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you need something done to your car... I am pretty sure I can get it handled one way or the other ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960