Oil Filter question

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been a lot of talk on here about oil but I've got a question about the filter. My Dad has always gone with the stratagy of using the largest filter he can find that will fit his car. Figureing the bigger the filter the more filter surface area and more oil in the system. All you have to match is the the thread pattern and the diameter. Other then that you just need space in the engin bay. So with that in mind has any one used a bigger filter then the ones recomended? I wouldn't mind trying it but don't really want to waste money trying to find a filter with the same thread pattern and don't want to run the risk of finding a thread pattern that is close but not quite and screw up the treads. Any thoughts?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are real concerned about better filtration, buy the Mobil One filter. Space is limited underneath. If you went to a longer filter, you may rub the chasis.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a larger correct thread and gasket filter (don't remember the number, but can find it if you'd like) for the Viper, but unfortunately it will not clear the frame as ViperJohn mentions. You can get it on, but as soon as the engine rocks in the mounts, the filter will dent and leak.

I've cut open the stock oil filer and you'd be amazed how small the element is in relation to the case. The filter element on the far right is from a V6 Ford taurus for comparision.

You must be registered for see images

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to remember that this was covered on another website where just about every make filter was cut open and evaluated.

If memory serves me, Mobile 1, and Wix were two of the top filters.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've read, Mobil 1 is a very good filter as surprisingly is K&N. Don't know about Wix.

Theory has it that Mobil 1 might filter slightly smaller particles but K&N (not surprisingly) flows a bit better and filters well also. Theory goes on to say that better flow with good filtering should show less wear than slightly better filtering with limited flow resulting in early bypass.

In fact, who really knows. Looking at the insides of a new filter doesn't really say much anyway. I'm running a K&N after exclusive use of Mobil 1's just to see if there is any variance in my UOA (used oil analysis). Probably revert to Mobil 1 when it's over. It's more of a hobby than science anyway.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The latest attempt to "study" oil filters that I have seen is located here:

BOBISTHEOILGUY and click on the link to oil filter study

One DOES have to be careful with a "series of one" ...but these guys have gone to a fair amount of trouble to demonstrate their facts....while the K&N does appear to have a little less pressure drop across the filter, PLEASE note that the baseline pressure on the inflow side was also higher than other pictured filters...also note particle size that each is stated to filter...as taken from the boxes on each filter: 10-20 microns for the Mobil and 10-20 microns for the K&N...BOTH look OK to me!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21