Oil on the outside of the filter.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just looking around the underneath of my '01 RT/10 and noticed a spot of oil about the size of my index fingernail on the bottom of the filter. Anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this? Took a look around and everything seems to be fine. Nothing sitting in the drip trays on the lift. The only thing I can think of is that filter on this particular car is almost 4 years old. I just put it on in the spring. Any ideas....? Thanks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Residual oil from the change?? Filter too loose?? Gasket "wrinkled" upon tightening ?? Adapter/line/sensor leaking??

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. The car had been driven since I did that oil change but I guess it's still possible for oil to be on there. It was very dark in color. So I suppose it could have been just sitting there picking up dirt. Thanks!!! Any more ideas, keep them coming!!!!

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt residual... If its dark, its been through the engine.

Did you by chance yank the dipstick out to check oil while in the garage, and let a drop on the ground since you last moved it? Or, I'd say the filter is too tight, and you pinched the gasket. An oil filter should be installed AND removed by hand. No wrenches. Thats the way I've always done it, and never had a leaker. If not one of these two, I'd say fitting or oil pan gasket.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just make sure the filter is tight and dont worry---just keep lookin at it---

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No did not pull the dipstick at home, car has been on a lift at home here for almost a month. The last time the car was out I had it up at my viper techs shop and he didn't notice it so within that time frame it has shown up. A few have mentioned that gasket on the filter. I'm wondering if we just tightened it too much. It was done by hand.
I doubt residual... If its dark, its been through the engine.

Did you by chance yank the dipstick out to check oil while in the garage, and let a drop on the ground since you last moved it? Or, I'd say the filter is too tight, and you pinched the gasket. An oil filter should be installed AND removed by hand. No wrenches. Thats the way I've always done it, and never had a leaker. If not one of these two, I'd say fitting or oil pan gasket.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you installed by hand. There is little chance its too tight. So, its on a lift, and there is no specific area that is moist? strange. Just keep an eye on it. A leak that small is not hurting anything. As long as the oil level doesn't fall. Could be a pan gasket.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only place I noticed the oil is on the bottom of the filter. It stood right out as the filter is bright white. I will be starting that car tomorrow as I am moving it off the lift for a while so when I get it back on I will check it out again and see if we have more oil on the filter.
if you installed by hand. There is little chance its too tight. So, its on a lift, and there is no specific area that is moist? strange. Just keep an eye on it. A leak that small is not hurting anything. As long as the oil level doesn't fall. Could be a pan gasket.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it does it again--just buy a new one--smear the gasket with oil-hand tighten pretty good-- see what happens..should fix it--for some reason sometimes this happens..dont know why

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it does it again--just buy a new one--smear the gasket with oil-hand tighten pretty good-- see what happens..should fix it--for some reason sometimes this happens..dont know why

agreed...you might just have a bad filter gasket on there.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A couple of small points:

Some newer systhetic oils (Mobil 1 for sure) do look darker when new compared to ****** oils a few years ago...formulations have changed.

I have noted that the gasket on the new Viper filters are often loose as they come out of the wrapper...reguiring great care during installation...including a very close post-installation inspection with a mirror and bright light while the car is still on the lift. In these cases, I also do a followup inspection after a short drive. You might look around with a mirror.

Finally, a "hanging drip" of synthetic oil is not always easy to trace back to the source without flourescent dye and a UV light.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my oil and filter changed a couple months back,and when i pulled my 94 out to wash her,i noticed a spot of oil on the floor too. It looks like new oil and i hadn't driven the car in about three weeks. Gotta check it out . Good advice here.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that filter on this particular car is almost 4 years old. I just put it on in the spring. Any ideas....? Thanks.

Any ideas? Yes, please explain how a filter you just put on in the spring is 4 years old.

Other than that, wipe the filter clean and drive the car. I'ts a drop of oil on the filter. :rolleyes:

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the filter at VOI 9. It had come in the goodie bag. When I did my oil change in the spring I just used one of those filters on the car.
Any ideas? Yes, please explain how a filter you just put on in the spring is 4 years old.

Other than that, wipe the filter clean and drive the car. I'ts a drop of oil on the filter. :rolleyes:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the filter at VOI 9. It had come in the goodie bag. When I did my oil change in the spring I just used one of those filters on the car.

AHHH!!! The filter has been sitting new for 4 years on the shelf, but was just installed on the car this year. AHHH!!!

LOL.

Unless you had it stored in the hot sun and the elastomeric seal deteriorated, filters typically do not have a shelf life.

Oops. Sorry. No hot sun in Ohio. :D

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The filter had been sitting in a few different places but probably for the last year was in my garage. Took a look this morning and new oil appears to be on the filter.
AHHH!!! The filter has been sitting new for 4 years on the shelf, but was just installed on the car this year. AHHH!!!

LOL.

Unless you had it stored in the hot sun and the elastomeric seal deteriorated, filters typically do not have a shelf life.

Oops. Sorry. No hot sun in Ohio. :D

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**UPDATE**

So I fired the car up tonight and after she was back on the lift there is no new oil to report coming from the filter. Thanks everyone for the input!!!!