Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just picked up 12 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40w for $5.79/quart. :D
Ready for my once a year oil change. :drive:
Regular oil was $2.99/quart.

StaTrue

Viper Owner
Reaction score
23.99 at Wally World for a 5 quart jug.$4.80 a quart if u do the math.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm so glad you're taking the other thread so serious...classy :rolleyes:

And the funniest part is oil does have some sort of expiration date, I think Tom the oil guru mentioned it...I think the additives or the chemical properties may change a bit after many years of storage.

Apparently my local NAPA does not have a sale going on...maybe an East Coast promo? :dunno:

Cheers,
George

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's an argument nobody is going to win. Funny thing is that my local NAPA has had a shelf full of Mobil1 0w-40 for at least 3 years collecting dust.

According to Mobil 1:

"An 8-month-old oil, even opened, should work well in your engine. As long as the bottle is capped and kept dry, the product is safe to use for up to 5 years. Keeping it cool and dry are the key conditions."

I'd probably still buy it but I'd like to know what Tom thinks.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....... Funny thing is that my local NAPA has had a shelf full of Mobil1 0w-40 for at least 3 years collecting dust.

According to Mobil 1:

"An 8-month-old oil, even opened, should work well in your engine. As long as the bottle is capped and kept dry, the product is safe to use for up to 5 years. Keeping it cool and dry are the key conditions."

I'd probably still buy it but I'd like to know what Tom thinks.

Says a lot .... And begs the question: If the oil manufacturer says it is safe to use for up to 5 years, is it 100% safe? Or 94% safe? Or? And if you put it in your car, would it still be safe another year or so ? Should the born-on date be published? Or maybe it IS on the case lots? I have 6 cases coming, I will advise.

Tony, if 3-year dusty bottles at $5.79, maybe they give an extra few % off for bottle-blems ?! Then again, if it was WINE it could be MORE $$..........

Tom will know, and Tom Will Tell.......

Last edited:

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now i'm having a laugh! People have to watch out not to take things to seriously, you'll die sooner if you do that all the time.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But than again, you'll also die sooner if 3 year old tires really are worse as new ones....and the engine will die sooner if 3 year old oil has gone bad....difficult choices all the time

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Not serious? How can you possibly suggest I am not taking that other tire-thread seriously? [Im not injecting Big Tobacco red herrings or using eyeroller pixies] Ive put some serious time and effort in there, correcting some posted errors, providing industry research and real-world facts for Owners. [And for YOU to poke at for your own entertainment.....who's classy?]

How fortuitous this oil thread popped, for a P-E-R-F-E-C-T. relevant analogy of ageing products.

Last edited:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not serious? How can you possibly suggest I am not taking that other tire-thread seriously? [Im not injecting Big Tobacco red herrings or using eyeroller pixies] Ive put some serious time and effort in there, correcting some posted errors, providing industry research and real-world facts for Owners. [And for YOU to poke at for your own entertainment.....who's classy?]

How fortuitous this oil thread popped, for a P-E-R-F-E-C-T. relevant analogy of ageing products.

I feel like I walked in halfway through this movie-missing it -anyway, I normally avoid NAPA--Michael Waltrip scares me, but I bought a case today. Thanks

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaTrue
23.99 at Wally World for a 5 quart jug.$4.80 a quart if u do the math.

Good for you.
Two Wally worlds near me but they don't have 0w-40w.

I emailed Mobil 1 last November,,,,they said they don't yet produce 5qt jugs of 0-w40 full synethic :dunno:

Day after Thanksgiving Day sale @ PepBoys > they ran Mobil 1 full syn for $4.00 qt. Rained check me for 24 qts of 0-w40.
Got fresh oil five days later. :2tu:

JohnnyViper Re: Oil Sale @ NAPA

"to bad I have never hear of wallys world, they do not have any location where I live"

W-Mart doesn't build stores in areas where they have to pay liveable wages.

Always Lower Wages,,,Always!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I normally avoid NAPA--Michael Waltrip scares me, but I bought a case today. Thanks

LOL ! What really annoys me are those NAPA "Know how, Know how" commercials !!!
But I do shop there. The counter guys at my local store know their stuff !

I wouldn't have normally thought they were competitive on oil and antifreeze there, though. I'll have to take a look.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Says a lot .... And begs the question: If the oil manufacturer says it is safe to use for up to 5 years, is it 100% safe? Or 94% safe? Or? And if you put it in your car, would it still be safe another year or so ? Should the born-on date be published? Or maybe it IS on the case lots? I have 6 cases coming, I will advise.

Tony, if 3-year dusty bottles at $5.79, maybe they give an extra few % off for bottle-blems ?! Then again, if it was WINE it could be MORE $$..........

Tom will know, and Tom Will Tell.......

Howdy all.

The silent aging mechanism is exposure to air, and specifically oxygen. Skin wrinkles and tires are always exposed to air (although I think there is a coating put on tires when constructed so they don't age badly when in storage at the tire store.) Oil is stored in a sealed container and until opened, would not argue with the Mobil 1 recommendation of 5 years. (For mineral oils, because they have a slightly greater tendency to absorb water and a slightly greater tendency to oxidize, I might pick 3 years.) Of greater interest is whether the new oils are "better" than oil that was designed for a specification five years earlier. An opened container... anyone ever eat an apple and watch the core turn dark within an hour? Well, that's an opened container (the skin) and no anti-oxidants. Oil will obviously last longer than an apple, but same idea.

Final thought - we are all pretty careful about our Vipers and change the oil at reasonable intervals. When we change the oil, it is not "used up" but perhaps the oil is at a point when "something in the oil could be close to used up." There are numerous performance qualities of an oil that get used up and we don't do used oil analysis to know which one. So we change the oil "too early" in order to be safe. By using an older bottle(s) of oil you might be using some of this safety margin, but by no means endangering your engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte