One for the Ford guys. I got beat by an '04 Cobra

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One for the Ford guys. I got beat by an \'04 Cobra

I was at Rt41 Dragway Friday night just for fun. I was hoping to break into the 11's for the first time (previous best of 12.02 at 118 w / 1.7 60 ft). No such luck. The track was very slippery. The right lane was terrible due the previous night's thunderstorms washing sand onto the track.

I saw the Cobra run while my Viper was cooling. He ran 11.8 at 119. I walked over to check it out after his run. He was a nice guy. Immediately asked if I was driving the Viper and said that it was his favorite car and wants one someday. He told me what he had done the the Cobra with the hood up as well. Smaller pulley (making 14 lbs boost), cold pipe, off road H pipe, chip, drag radials, and he took everything (including the carpet) except for the driver's seat out of the interior.

I knew he would beat me, but it was the only car close to my times at the track and so lined up against him with me in the crappy lane. I never even bothered to get the time slip, but I think that we both caught the light at about the same time. He was ahead right after the launch. I spun like crazy off the line and had to get out of it. Then when I hit second I spun so bad that it fishtailed and had to get out of it again. By that time he was a long way ahead of me. I ran a 12.7 to his 11.9.

My best time of the night was in the left lane after cooling (happened to be running against a stock Harley). 12.196 @ 119 with a 2.026 60 ft.

My mods: Filters, smooth tubes, B&B Exhaust (1.75 headers, high flow cats, 3" cat back), B&M shifter, SVS shifter shaft. Dyno'd 410 hp 450 tq stock and 422 hp 461 tq after mods (much worse air on mod dyno day). I am still running the OEM tires with 16,950 miles on them.

The Cobra guy said that he dyno'd 470 at the wheels with 451 torque. His best run of the night was 11.60 at 120.

With his drag radials on my car, I think it would have been a very close race.

The '04 Cobra's are no joke with some really inexpensive mods though.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: One for the Ford guys. I got beat by an \'04 Cobra

Nice run (the 12.1) and definitely nothing to be embarrassed about losing to a modded Cobra.

Howard

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score

rsnake, you should try byron. it's a great track for hooking up. I was there sat. and ran 12.2@120 with 2.0 60', I launched too high. I only ran on nitrous after that, I did 11.11@133 with 1.87 60'.

isaac

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ran into that guy a few nights ago and he told me he just beat up on a Viper at rt41. He said he ran 11.6 on street tires! Which I was pretty sure was BS.

I didn't have a chance to put him in his place, as I was meeting some friends for a few drinks. But be sure, next time I see him and his Red Cobra, he will go down in FLAMES!!! :headbang:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh, your 12.1xx is a good time at that track! And get that 60'to 1.8x and you are in the 11's! :2tu:

OP
OP
R

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

He was telling the truth. BF Goodrich Drag Radials are technically street tires. They are DOT legal.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He was telling the truth. BF Goodrich Drag Radials are technically street tires. They are DOT legal.

No I understand that. I ask him if he was running drag radials, and he said NO they don't make them for his size wheels.

No biggie, his car sounded Good, and he seemed like a nice kid. I hope to see him soon. :usa:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Headers,exhaust.high flow cats,smooth tubes and filters only gave you a total of 12HP and 11TQ?

Every one of those mods alone claim more then that.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree, with those mods you should be closer to 450 at wheels. Add Vec1 for some tuning and get some ET streets and skinnies then you launch at 4,500 to 5,000 rpm's and you will beat him with times below 11.5

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What was the elevation/temp there?

I just ran 12.1 @ 119 last night and I don't have smooth tubes or anything. I'd think your car could run 11.6 @ 123 or so. I found that if you don't shift at redline esp. into 2nd gear it kills MPH.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score

how far from 41 are you bro? Id love to meet up with you and head to the track if we can get some good weather sometime soon or in the spring!

WS6HUMMER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah those 03-04 (pulley'd) Slowbras can eat your lunch sometimes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang