Only 245 Vipers sold in 2009?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading an Autoweek article, and they said that only 245 Vipers were sold in 2009. That seems really low especially since VIN numbers seem to go well into the 600 range. I'm not complaining - if the product run was indeed that low for 2009 these cars are going to be rare.

I'm thinking Autoweek either got the number wrong because they were referring to ACRs sold, or cars actually 'sold' so far - and not including the ones produced and still waiting dealer delivery.

Anyone know what's up?

Here's the article:
No Ferrari Viper, Dodge brand chief says

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That may be sold ones but the dealers have a lot coming yet. I know there are more than that. I think it is more like 600.

Bruce

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In calendar year 2009 through 10/31, 395 vipers have been sold to consumers, but this includes 08 models too. Calendar year 2009 production is 338. If you count 09 vipers built in 2008 there was probably only 400 or so totally built? The 245 '09 viper sales is probably the correct number, they get this from Dodge, they don't guess.

In the video from Ralph he says 300 or 303 ACR's (Gen IV's) have been built. The 08 viper production chart in the VCA magazine shows 179 '08 vipers. So did Dodge build 120 or so '09 ACR's in total?

Looks like 09 vipers maybe be rarer from a total production than the 10's?

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It also says "Dodge has only made 303 ACR Vipers total for all model years, which is perhaps 302 more than Devon has made GTXs".......that number appears off too....

Read more: No Ferrari Viper, Dodge brand chief says

That's technically way off since they did make the Gen II ACR... It could actually be correct for the Gen IV, though. I wonder where they got that number.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading an Autoweek article, and they said that only 245 Vipers were sold in 2009. That seems really low especially since VIN numbers seem to go well into the 600 range. I'm not complaining - if the product run was indeed that low for 2009 these cars are going to be rare.

I'm thinking Autoweek either got the number wrong because they were referring to ACRs sold, or cars actually 'sold' so far - and not including the ones produced and still waiting dealer delivery.

Anyone know what's up?

Here's the article:
No Ferrari Viper, Dodge brand chief says

They also state that:
Dodge has only made 303 ACR Vipers total for all model years, which is perhaps 302 more than Devon ...Dodge made 179 Vipers in "08" so that would mean only 124 ACRs this year "09" and only 121 Coupes and Verts combined for 09?(245 claimed- 124 ACRs )That sounds way too low.. Maybe its 245+ 124 ACRs??????
Iam still wondering how they expect to sell 500 Vipers next year.:dunno:Looks like Fi-Dodge is looking to sell almost all 500 as ACRs. Yes you will get the collectors and people who want the last of something but the economy is still in the dumps....Iam figuring that most dealers are not going to sell these 500 for less than MSRP and that price is going to be bigger(ACRs wise) when you figure in your new options. If you have the money great but this is the year to pick up a Viper or ACR at invoice and below especially with the financing...I also love the statement posted where you will not have to wait as long...only from Sept-Nov,lol:rolleyes: I thought it was posted that all 500 or less would be completed by July.?? I wonder if the BIG dealers will pre-order ACRs or wait for customer orders:dunno:
I hate to be a nay-sayer but if they(Fi-Dodge) are throwing out the whole color pallet and other options its probably the end of the Viper as we know it....It least it will go out with a semi if not splashy roar.:( Kevin

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Observation. When Dodge was ordering parts for the 2009 model year they could not have known that the entire economy would go into a deep recession and that Chrysler would go into bankruptcy causing plants to shut down for months. My guess is that the estimated 500 car run for 2010 will use up a considerable number of the excess parts caused by the economy and plant shut down. Based on what we just saw at Laguna, I think they will come close to selling out the 2010 model. The 5th gear change is a bit labor intensive depending on whether the trannys are made ahead of time or made on a "just in time" basis. If they are made ahead of time, and they intend to do a change out of the gear, it would take quite a bit of time. In any event, I like what Ralph G and the SRT Team did. It was a wonderful gesture toward the Viper Nation and preserving the iconic image of the car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The PRODUCTION figures have a long-standing disconnect from REPORTED SALES figures.
Dodge made no 07 Vipers..... but during 2007, Dodge sold more Vipers than they made in 2006...because a lot of 05s were still unsold til 07.

The highest vin #s of the recent 2009s we have seen being delivered are in the mid 600s. With many ACRs still in build-out, I suspect the final 2009 production will be low-to-mid-700s. Lets make this a 'Prediction'... An easily-searchable word for later: MY 2009 .... My own personal production prediction (PPP) is 733.

The 08+09 ACR # is probably very close to the 303 total Gen 4 ACR units built as stated......but a bunch more are trickling down the pike....and of course are included in the total production figure.

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, Since your throwing out a prediction challenge I took the time to go on Automotive News and research. I'll put my "PPP" at 883. While I may be betting against the "house" perhaps a side wager on whose closest?? Double or nothing on front pads, 1 Kuhmo or something else in the price target?

I have to disagree with you on 07 production, " Dodge made no Vipers in 07" My PPP is that they build 332 08's in 07. Have a great Thanksgiving! Mike

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was not challenging anyone, but I still guess that Model Year 2009 will be about 733 total cars....low side, 775 high-side. I certainly hope you are correct at 883! [more potential customers]

Automotive News is Sooooo wrong, so much of the time on Vipers. I subscribed to it for many years and plotted their drivel vs reality so many times.... they were correct on Neons, but seldom Vipers.

And I mis-spoke to say 'no vipers in 07'....meant to say 'No 07 Vipers', thanks Mike....the 08s did begin to flow in 2007.....

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it me or is that a VERY low number ?

300-500 vipers built in a year is pretty pathetic NO ?

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who predicts 733???? I can see 730 and 775 tops but 733??? Nice round number.:rolleyes: I would not bet a man who gets that specific.

I think Jon is holding out on us. He must have cut a deal with a mole in very high places . Maybe a set of PS2s for inside info.:)

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my "2009 vs. 2010" post Bill P. mentions that 260 09 ACR's were built and I would say he knows what he is talking about. Supposedly 153 were built in MY 08.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala