opinions needed on current 96 vs 02

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have a modded 96 GTS and am interested in moving up to an 02 only. My interest is trying to determine a realistic value for the car vs what it is going to cost for a similarly modded 02. I have approx 60k including purchase price into it (bought in 07 with 62k mi).
knowing that it is difficult to get back even close to what is invested sometimes, I would like to obtain some opinions.

Details:
80k mi on chassis
- exterior, 8.5, interior, 7.5

- 510 Stroker (under 8k mi) :
- Callies forged crankshaft (Shaft-Tech)
- Comstar forged connecting rods
- Diamond forged 8.5:1 blower pistons
- Clevite Main and rod bearings
- Total seal file fit moly ring set
- Comp Cams Hydraulic roller cam
- Speed Pro Hydraulic roller lifters
- Pro Products S.F.I. Harmonic balancer
- Cloyes roller timing chain set
- Mopar oil pump rotor kit
- Arrow roller rockers
- Cosmetic MLS Head Gaskets
- Cylinder heads received a full port and polish, 3 angle valve job and resurfacing , Manley intake and exhaust valves, Crane valve springs w/seals and shims.
•Roe Racing S/C polished with chrome tubes that was fully rebuilt with 8lb pulley and vec II (fully reconditioned) (under 8k mi)
•New center force clutch, flywheel, and throw out bearing (under 8k mi)
• Unitrax installed Quaife rear with 3:33 gears (under 8k mi)
•Unitrax 800 hp halfshafts
•18in HRE 547 polished wheels
•Custom tune with 6 cards
•Belenger Headers
•Borla Exhaust
•MSD Boost-A -Pump
•Water ****
•Green top injectors
•Newer PCM
•Newer battery
•Eibach springs, lowered 1"
•Koni shocks
•PBJ catch can Painted blue
•New temp sensor
•New plugs, wires
•Pigtail for Vec II to use a laptop for tuning
•Newer idle control motor
•4 new oxygen sensors
New rear sway bar links
•New crank sensor
•Billet P/S pulley and mount
•Elite Motorsports custom polished airbox with K&N filters
•MGW shifter
•Newer style center mount radiator fan
- no cats

Last edited:

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What "moving up" are you talking about that bugs you? The amount you'll lose will probably equal modding what you think is lacking from your 96.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like a good mod list.....if you are 7.5 interior, a little spent there will make a sale much easier

so why the desire for an '02 :eater:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You locked up your brakes, didn't you?
:D
That was my thought exactly. I didn't see any brake upgrade in his list. Not to say he didn't. I don't really understand what he could possible gain by doing what he wants to do. Color, abs brakes ??
It would be cheaper to keep what you have and alter it. It sounds like you already have a really nice set up.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my thought exactly. I didn't see any brake upgrade in his list. Not to say he didn't. I don't really understand what he could possible gain by doing what he wants to do. Color, abs brakes ??
It would be cheaper to keep what you have and alter it. It sounds like you already have a really nice set up.

Maybe he is really into the silver interior door handles.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An 80K mile Viper no matter what the mods are, is going to take a severe hit. You might find a taker that's willing to pay decent money, but honestly I think your really going to have a hard time getting anywhere near what you want. This may sound crazy, but just buy the 02 outright and transfer all your engine parts from the 96 into the 02. Put all the 02 stuff in the 96 and dump it. I'll bet dollar for dollar you'll come out way ahead of any other scenario. Don't get me wrong your throwing money away like it's going out of style. This assumes your very capable mechanically and can do all the work yourself.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea...don't see anything to gain besides getting ABS on the '02 and a different color. If its the brakes that were/are the problem unwound suggest just getting a Big Brake Kit. Save $$in the long run.

OP
OP
J

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. Good guess on the brakes but no locking up - yet. The brakes are stock but if I was going to keep the car long term, an upgrade would be a consideration. The reasons for wanting a change:

- lower mile car
- color
- ABS
- nicer interior (I know only subtle changes)
- power mirrors
- remote trunk release
- last/latest year for Gen 2

Camfab, that is a plausible scenario but that undertaking is outside the scope of my abilities.

If it will be too much difference, I may keep it till 100k (about 2 years) and sell for what ever I can get at that time.
That being said, what is it worth as it stands?

Last edited:

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would pay in the mid 20s for it with that year, mileage, work done and assuming the conditions you gave.

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i say keep your car, ignore the mileage and just clean it up some. What is wrong with the interior? You may be able to get low 30's for the car on ebay if you really promote the engine mods.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats an incredibly nice engine build with that crank in it. odd to me to have a roe on it but to each his own...you will take a serious BEATING on that car. IMO keep it and if you really hate the color that much, paint it. it will be cheaper and easier.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color do you have and what color do you want?

The only reason i personally think could justify a swap would be if you got tired of looking at a solid red car and have always wanted some specific color(like a bumblebee for example)
Another option is to give your old girl a new look by throwing some stripes on her. White stripes look nice but i think your souped up snake would be better suited with the badda$$ look of black stripes.

What are your concerns with your year and mileage Viper?

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Sybil TF. Why in the world would you want to change years for small mods?..if its the mileage..who cares at this point as you already modded the engine. ..anyway...keep the car and clean it up the way you like and save your money...I can understand going to a different Gen car but the same Gen and nothing special added makes no sense,.....to me anyway

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's your car and your choice, if you think it's worth it/it will make you happy then who cares what anyone else thinks? The miles and mods hurt most sales, so think of a bottom dollar you'd go with and maybe you'll make someone else's Viper dreams come true. Put some feelers out on ebay/autotrader and see if you get any bites for a nice downpayment on your 02. Good luck.

P.S But yes, just for the record, you'll have to pry my 96 away from my cold, dead hands.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone posting about how crazy an idea that the OP is considering should take a second look at his user name.

Owning a Viper in the first place is not what a lot of people would consider to be a sign of good, sound, fiscal judgement. The reason often is just: "I want it, so shut up!"

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the OP, just advertise it here and on VA. Stress that everything is virtually new. If you want to invest in increasing it's value, maybe change out the starter, alternator and wheel bearings as being relatively inexpensive to make that "like new" claim. What else is left as an 80,000 mile issue? transmission?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone posting about how crazy an idea that the OP is considering should take a second look at his user name.

Owning a Viper in the first place is not what a lot of people would consider to be a sign of good, sound, fiscal judgement. The reason often is just: "I want it, so shut up!"

good point and never trust a guy with crazy in his username... :)

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is true, but we all still have the responsibility to advise our fellow brethren as well....

OP
OP
J

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, sometimes you just want something different even if it does not make any sense. After reading all the opinions, it has given me some pause
and it looks like it would be wise to keep mine for now and get some more use out of the money I have invested into it. To answer questions about the interior,
probably the usual wear for the miles.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the car? Any dyno sheets, hp numbers?
I have an 02 ACR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456