Opinions needed on high-flow cats

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm curious about the high-flow cats out there.

What are the differences between the oval high-flows and the round high-flows in terms of cooling? How about in terms of HP? Ease of installation?

What are the differences between the metal high-flows and the ceramic high-flows? Same questions as to cooling and HP?

How many HP can I expect to pick up by running a set of high-flow cats? Currently I have a Borla catback exhaust on my '02 ACR.

Any other information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Christian :usa:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oval high flow cats are a tighter fit in the side sills, but they flow better than the smaller round ones, add a bit more power, and still run cool.

The installation was relatively easy.

I actually didn't add the high flow cats for the power as much as to reduce the side sill heat. And they work great, easily cutting the temp in half compared to the stock units.

I can now touch the side sills without fear of getting burnt. :laugh:

It did gain some power, but I added the high flow cats along with some other mods, so I don't know the individual contribution to power.

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my question. Since am a new Viper owner since July, I need some advice on this subject also. I have a Belanger cat back exhaust with the stock cats still in place. The dilema for me is install Belanger high flow cats in place of the stock cats or remove the stock cats and put straight pipe in their place. I've been told and have seen many posts attesting to the fact that if I remove the cats altogether the exhaust will be very loud. Since loud is subjective I'm trying to decide whether I will think it is obnoxiously loud for a side exhaust 95 RT/10. Will there be an increase in HP removing the cats totally vs. installing high flow cats? Do high flow cats change the sound? Deeper, louder, etc. I will definitely be installing Belanger headers in the next several months. I'm leaning toward removing the cats and if it is in fact obnoxious, I can always install the high flow cats later. Thoughts??

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oval high flow cats are a tighter fit in the side sills, but they flow better than the smaller round ones, add a bit more power, and still run cool.

The installation was relatively easy.

I actually didn't add the high flow cats for the power as much as to reduce the side sill heat. And they work great, easily cutting the temp in half compared to the stock units.

I can now touch the side sills without fear of getting burnt. :laugh:

It did gain some power, but I added the high flow cats along with some other mods, so I don't know the individual contribution to power.
Everything Snaketer posted (with the possible exception of the easy installation) plus: you'll save some weight as the oe cats are HEAVY, and you'll pick up a little exhaust volume.

Complete removal of the cats will NOT add HP. It tends to decrease HP.

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Complete removal of the cats will NOT add HP. It tends to decrease HP. "

Please Explain this?

Stock 93rt/10.

Added K&N Filters
Smooth Tubes
Removed CATS(decrease of 20 pounds Curb Weight)

Dino = 17 RWHP INCREASE

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I can tell you this, I like a little loud and a good friend with 94 and no cats with belanger headers and side exhaust with mufflers is way too loud.

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the high-flow cats be installed by a weekend mechanic (me)? I.e., are they welded in place or held in place with clamps, do you have to cut the factory exhaust, etc.?

Thanks, Snakester, for the advice. Do any of the Viper owners around here ever get toghether for cruises? I'd like to hook up with you all and get to know some of the other Viper owners in the Bay Area.

Christian

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CSTER,
You mean the SF Bay Area? Where the he}} is Alamo?
If you are near the (SF)Bay Area, and you want to hear every exhaust set up possible come to a Viper Club Meeting. Look us up, NorCal Viper club at http://norcal.viperclub.org/.
If you want to get out to the track, road coarse, drop me a PM.

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Yes, the SF Bay Area. Alamo is a town located in between Danville and Walnut Creek. Are you familiar with those?

I'll check out the link. Do you guys meet regularly? How about weekend cruises?

I'd like to get up to Sacramento Raceway real soon to run the 1/4 mile.

Once I get a few more miles in the seat I'd also like to get out to Thunderhill or Buttonwillow. Any Viper days coming up for road racing?

Christian

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery