Opinions on header coatings

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys,

what do you think the best headers coatings are out there for our Vipers in respect to heat reduction and longevity? i am thinking of getting my 2001 stock headers treated before i put them on my 1994 viper. thanks for the suggestions!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother.Since the stock heat shields will fit so why not just use them.If you get real headers then go jet hot. Bruce

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy,

I think it will make a difference and the JetHot coatings look great. I kinda agree with Bruce and think the cost and effort are not worth it for stock headers.

The $400 or so to coat the stock headers would be better spent towards aftermarket headers or other performace mods.

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was thinking about having he complete system coated to reduce interior tempuratures. i guess this was my plan, but i dont know now because of thetotal coating costs.

jet hot said $275 for the headers, but i didnt ask about the sidepipes yet.

i have heard of a couple guys doing this in the past, coating the entire system to reduce temperatures, thats the main reason i am thinking of doing this, but i am trying to make an informed decision as well, so thanks so far for all the input. anyone else?

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had my whole system on my gts coated a couple years ago, it looks awsome still and does reduce temps i was able to do mine local,if your on a budget money can be better spent elswhere,edelbrock makes a great gen 1 and 2 set of headers coated inside and out also comes with 5to1 merge collecter and flex pipe to make the bend

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Randy,

I'm in the same boat as you upgrading my manifolds on my 97 to a 2000 system.

My headers and Roe oval cats are off to jet-hot to get their better coating, 2000+ or whatever they label it.

When I bought my exhaust used it did not come with heat shields, my manifold shields will not transfer over without modification, and even then will look hideous. The cost of 98.5+ shields must be factored in the mix if you don't have them already..... and shields still allow the heat to come thru the header and into the engine bay, coating does not.

As far as cost is concerned the 98.5 style header offers at least 10 rwhp gain over mainifolds, drops 25 pounds off the front end of the car, and with the jet hot coating inside and out may offer a few more ponies as the heat does not buildup in the engine area, which may produce even more benefit from lower engine area temps. Total gain I would guess is in the 50% range of the big boy headers, for 15% of the cost.

I only plan on doing this once, mine as well do it right. If I was to spend thousands on headers (true headers), I would skip that and just get a Roe S/C, your 1/3 way there with "real headers". That's my .02, and I'm sticking with it. I'll post dyno pulls after my cheapo system is added front to back.

2000 headers jet-hot coated, Roe Ovals, coated, rear muffler delete, I'm hoping for 30ish to the tires???