Optima Battery question

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just completed a search on Optima Battery and I am confused. :confused:

One group says buy Sears Diehard Gold, direct replacement and forget it.
The other says Optima Red Top.

I heard good thing about the Optima but I am concerned about modifying it.
Some say it fits others say they had to shave the post about 1/4 inch.

Does anyone know if it will fit a 2000 GTS without modification????

Reason I'm considering the Optima is I track my Viper about 20-25 days per season and Optima has its advantages here.

Fast Eddie :usa:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an optima red top because I don't want acid puking out.You won't know if it will fit until you try it.Some do and some don't.Shaving that terminal is a great way to ruin the battery and void its waranty.Mine did NOT fit.Insert bottle jack and do a little bending and stretching.Clean up and paint the tray.Insert battery.Mine clear by around 1/4".Solidly held down in place its not a problem. Bruce

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just turn it on it's side. Optimas don't leak because they are gel filled, and it fit's perfectly like that. Or you can shave a tad off the post. Either way works fine.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen to GTS Bruce. I did the same thing Bruce did, with my own GTS except I used the cars own jack. Works great. My old battery leaked. :mad:

2000 GTS Steel Grey :usa:
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver key.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cut the terminals is ok, as long as you don't cut the to deep. Will not affect the battery at all. But there is a better solution, Optima has a new Battery that is half the size (and weight)and almost as powerful of the one we usually use. This new auto battery has just been released!

OP
OP
V

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you can cut down the terminal to fit but warranty is voided :mad:
My concern with this is several of you have had battery failures, of few hvae reported this has happened often enough for me not to be another victim.
Laying it on its side may be a workable solution. Are there any fitment issues
with this approach?
As for the new smaller Optima, I will check this out. Does anyone have this new one yet?
I really would like to upgrade to the Optima but I prefer not to deal with a potential problem down the road doing it.

Fast Eddie

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STOP! Don't cut the post.
Been there, done that, and bought a second Optima battery a month later to prove it.
Not to mention finding out the battery died in a restaurant parking lot after a romantic dinner with my wife. Then trying to get the thing jumped by a bunch of not so Viper literate tow truck companies.

Use the jack and adjust the battery tray. One time fix and the battery is locked down like it suppose to.

I just went through this a few months ago.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too would like to hear about experiences with the smaller Optima battery if anyone has used it. How do the CCA's compare? What is the stock CCA's?

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't race my car but did replace the battery recently with a Diehard Gold series...I believe it was a 78, the one listed in the Sears info for my car, a '99 GTS. It is a full sized battery, not one of those mini ones. 7 year warranty with the first 2 years at 100% replacement and prorated after that. I guess gel-filled sounds a better, but supposedly several Nascar teams use this same, bone stock Diehard Gold with no problems. Somehow doctoring up the battery or it's compartment just doesn't work for me. Good luck....

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tzoid, My old battery started leaking without my knowledge, and before I could replace it, the battery acid had done a real number on the under body of my car and frame. I would never put a non jell battery in my Viper.

2000 GTS Steel Grey

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished replacing with the full size red top. Just depends on how the battery tray is welded to the frame. They are all different.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interstate MT78. I also ruined an Optima by cutting a lil too far. Replaced it with the interstate and it works fine. I only use the car on weekends and the battery always has power.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more item about the Interstate-- consumer reports ranks the Interstates number one. There is a toll free number on the battery and is good nationwide. Of course there'll be a slight labor charge for removing that easy-to-get-to battery.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The poor guy who asked a simple question....
Trust me, I asked the same question a while back. You're probably best to follow your own judgement. My old battery was the stock Mopar unit (which was 4+ years old) that I just plain over-cooked when my Battery Tender went on the fritz without me knowing it. Fortunately (I guess), there was no damage, just a dead battery. Maybe I'll be telling you guys another story on my battery replacement decision later, but so far, I'm happy.
Reminds me of the time I asked a friend what was the best tasting Vodka to buy... pardon me while I go shovel the driveway.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proracer,
How does the size of the yellow top compare to the standard red top and how does the power compare?

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's strange to hear all of your responses...

I just finished installing my 75/35 red top and it fit like a glove, no modification whatsoever. I even left the plastic caps on that cover the upper unused mounts. I guess I was lucky.

Reaction score
The top and the side terminals are connected. You cut enough off the top you end up cutting through the connection.
Never cut the terminals. Just carefully file off a small amount, until it fits in the compartment without touching. Did this on three Vipers with zero problems.

Chuck G

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if this is true for all batteries but on at least some, the conductor that comes up from inside the battery, goes up inside the post. The post isn't solid as you may think, it's hollow.
The connection is made to the underside of the top of the post.
If you cut off the top of the post, you may cut that connection.
If this happens, you can look down at the top of the cut off post and see the center conductor and around it the wall of the cut off post.
Now the post isn't connected to the battery.
If you just shave it a little, you still may decrease the thickness of the connecting portion of the post. It may crack later on.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you just shave it a little, you still may decrease the thickness of the connecting portion of the post. It may crack later on.

It might, but the top posts aren't being used so there won't be any clamping force on it. That should decrease the likelyhood of cracking at the top where you thinned it out.

shor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is exactly what happened to me. I cut the posts on the Yellow top Optima battery so I would fit in the stock tray and clear the frame.
I then hooked up the side terminals and it wouldn't start.
I took the battery out again and examined the posts that I had cut.
Sure enough, there was a gap of space in there where the side post lead wasn't touching the old top post lead. The connection for the two takes place in the upper most part of the top post.
With the post cut off, so too is the connection for the side terminals.

I don't reccomend this, but this is what I did after the fact.
I used vise grips to crimp the two pieces of soft lead back together.
Not the removed post, just the lead pieces remaining.
I then let solder drip into the voids that were made by my top post removal.
This effectively "re-connected" the side terminals to the internal post going into the battery.
Then I used a glue gun to put a plastic coating on top of both post areas when I was done.
I used welders gloves and looked from behind a thick piece of lexan, and had a fan going. I don't know if optimas can explode like typical lead acid batteries, but I was being carefull anyway.
Looking back and speaking from experience, I think that the best thing to do is mount the optima sideways, but then you would have to fabricate a special holddown to keep it in place.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shor,
I understand you needed to fix the battery. But "Dripping" solder will cause a "cold" joint that has resistance=heat. When soldering, the solder will follow the heat. To do it right, you have to get the terminal really hot and allow the solder to flow in. Most likely the battery would blow first.

Others,
If the space is that tight on battery fitment, filing the top of a battery would scare me. A few good potholes might cause a direct electrical short. Just think of a crash rollover, I want to increase my chances of windows and doors working.

Mounting a battery sideways? A battery is heavy. Does it actually fit in the tray without rubbing? Can it be strapped down properly?

Most factory batteries fit and last 4 to 5 years. I don't have a problem with that.