OT: Looking to move to U.S.

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently contemplating initiating a career move to the U.S. from Ottawa, Canada. I was born and lived all of my life (28 years) in Ottawa so I am not sure what places are good to live in.

Do any of suggest certain cities and/or states that I should try to move to that are sunny (i.e. no winters so I can cruise in the Viper year round), don't have hurricanes, clean, safe and well organized with low crime, has a certain quality of life, modern and growing? Not asking too much! Somewhere where you can safely raise a family.

Also any cities or states that I should avoid?

Anything else I should look out for and/or be aware of when moving from Canada to the U.S.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given your request for lack of natural disasters, your choice is obviously Phoenix. Very Canucksian friendly town. You guys are all over the place (scary part is we cannot tell exactly who you are sometimes).

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
In Southern California, you can cruise in your Viper all year round. Thats probably why its the largest VCA chapter anywhere. Dry climate, not too much humidity at all. Its a good climate to preserve cars, too. When I moved here in 1979, I was surprised to see so many older cars still running around. The dry climate keeps 'em embalmed!

Just like anywhere else, California has crime and poverty, racial tensions, etc. For obvious reasons, its best to stay away from the bigger cities. The "OC", Orange County is a great place to live. Plan on $650,000 for a 4 bedroom home in an average good neighborhood. $3M to 8M+ if you want a custom home overlooking the Pacific Ocean. (Thats my dream home)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yahoo! weather can give you monthly average temperatures for many American cities. The southern states may have mild winters, but the summers are getting hotter down south.

Realtor.com and other real estate sites can clue you in to housing costs in a particular area.

US Government websites can probably give you crime statistics. Some of the real estate sites have that feature. The stats can be misleading, but after you narrow down your search you can always keep an eye on newspaper websites in your favorite US towns to monitor crime and other news there.

Money magazine used to have a yearly survey on the best places to live in the US based on city size. Check their website.

:usa:

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Colorado ?
Excellent quality of life, great for outdoors activities.
300+ days of sun a year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960