Overheating 97 GTS

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by jthunderbird, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse VCA Member - West

There is a point where when issues continue it is time to spend the funds to let a Master Tech find the cause. With a 22 year old car there could be a myriad of issues, but spending 20K for another motor , rebuild ,etc. is at the other end of the spectrum of not getting a fix and exact diagnosis. Believe there are a couple of quite reliable sources of repair near your part of Texas?

2. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Jtbird I feel your frustration, but it sounds like you can't find the leak, if you have exhausted all your friends and resources, it might be time to take it to a Viper tech like Bill mentioned, at least to find out where the leak is. Once you find out you might be able to fix it yourself or let the tech keep going and bite the bullet, in the long run it will be the cheapest way to go, if the engine blows thats much more than what ever they find is wrong , hope it turns out to not be to bad, let us know, Good luck.

3. jthunderbird

jthunderbird Viper Owner

That is extremely kind of you and I will likely take you up on that! Thank you for all the help.

JT

4. jthunderbird

jthunderbird Viper Owner

There was a Viper tech down the road at a Dodge dealership that I used a few years ago named Fred I believe. He adjusted the aftermarket rockers that the PO had installed. I planned on reaching out to him soon if I can't make any more progress... want my damn car back. Vipers look way less cool jacked up on stands.

5. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Vipers look cool even on jack stands.:D

6. lane_viper

lane_viper Enthusiast

I just pretty much replaced all the front engine gaskets minus the head gaskets with Cometic gaskets from Dan Lesser http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/22_85

These gaskets seem so much better than the mopar factory paper gaskets that glue themselves to the mating surfaces.

I did, water pump, timing cover, oil filter adapter, thermostat housing, IAC, and Intake gaskets

I'm pretty sure this fixed my coolant leak, as I see no more leaks coming from where it was before. I was like you and didn't know 100% the source, but was worth a shot. Gaskets needed replacement anyway on my 96 GTS.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but in addition to the timing cover gasket, check the 2 hoses that come off the water pump.

If the leak is coming from your oil filter area, its prob a good chance its not the fascia bottle. To be sure you, check the level through the "wheel window", fill it up and see if it changes level over time.

ViperJeff likes this.