P0432 @ 22,354 miles

Barry

VCA Member
Reaction score
This code popped up with no other codes on my 2000 GTS. Efficiency for the catalytic converter on engine bank 2 is below efficiency, (passenger side?). When the car is driven it is driven, and not by a little old lady, so I'm wondering what is with this code and how to rid myself of it. Yes it keeps coming back so there is a real issue and I have taken it for a long drive at speed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. P0432.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Could be an O2 sensor (I think rear given that code), but it's also entirely possible it's just exactly what it says, a bad catalyst. I had this show up on my wife's 09 Malibu and the ultimate remedy was replacing the catalyst for me.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the more advanced diagnostic computers you can read what that rear O2 is doing and then you can make an accurate decision on what needs to be replaced the O2 or the Cat.

Twinturbosd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have 2 o2 sensors one b4 the cat and after the cat, bank 2 is after. It doesn’t effect anything except emissions, it is dang near plug and pay too, you can replace the sensor Yourself for cheap...you’d be surprised. This code and problem are the same meaning on all almost all cars.
No worries just irritating. Still drivable...

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The O2 sensor is just like a spark plug with a wire and electrical plug at the end of the wire, if you can change a spark plug you can change an O2 sensor.

InTheZoneAC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check rear O2 sensor and wiring making sure nothing is frayed

Also would be a good time to check your spark plugs on the same side of the questionable rear O2 sensor.

I doubt your cat is bad with low miles unless its somehow falling apart internally.

Does it mention at all if bank 2 sensor 2 is bad or just cat efficiency?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barry

Barry

VCA Member
Reaction score
Check rear O2 sensor and wiring making sure nothing is frayed

Also would be a good time to check your spark plugs on the same side of the questionable rear O2 sensor.

I doubt your cat is bad with low miles unless its somehow falling apart internally.

Does it mention at all if bank 2 sensor 2 is bad or just cat efficiency?

The exact readout is PO432 Main catalyst efficiency below threshold. The car only has 22,354 mils on it. I'm having a hard time believing anything went bad, but there is the code.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with you on the catalytic converter likely not being bad with only 22K miles.

Are you running some non standard gasoline (like super high octane race gas) or putting additives in your fuel?